Quotes of Wisdom

ChemEngineer

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2019
From my extensive compilation

Truth will always be paucorem hominem*, (of few men) and must therefore quietly and modestly wait for the few whose unusual mode of thought may find it enjoyable. Life is short, but works far and lives long; let us speak the truth. – Arthur Schopenhauer

Whatever you are, be a good one. - Abraham Lincoln

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." --George Bernard Shaw

Our constitution was made for a moral and religious people; it is wholly inadequate for any other. - John Adams

I slept and dreamed that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was duty. I acted and behold, duty was joy. - Rabindrinath Tagore

From my extensive compilation

Truth will always be paucorem hominem*, (of few men) and must therefore quietly and modestly wait for the few whose unusual mode of thought may find it enjoyable. Life is short, but works far and lives long; let us speak the truth. – Arthur Schopenhauer

Whatever you are, be a good one. - Abraham Lincoln

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." --George Bernard Shaw

Our constitution was made for a moral and religious people; it is wholly inadequate for any other. - John Adams

I slept and dreamed that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was duty. I acted and behold, duty was joy. - Rabindrinath Tagore

Wisdom is not like a flower one can pluck from a bush; it is like a mountain that one must climb.
-Author unknown

I have often regretted my speech, never my silence.
Publilius Syrus Roman Writer (~100 BC)

"I ask not for a lighter load but for broader shoulders." - Jewish Proverb

"The greatest discovery of any generation is that human beings can alter their lives by altering the attitudes of their minds." - Albert Schweitzer

“We scientists have found that doing a kindness produces the single most reliable momentary increase in well-being of any exercise we have tested.” – Martin Seligman, PhD, in his book Flourish

“I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.” — Jewish Proverb

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." --Thomas Jefferson

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." – President John Adams, second president and Founding Father

"One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half." --Winston Churchill

"If we desire to avoid insult, we must be able to repel it; if we desire to secure peace, one of the most powerful instruments of our rising prosperity, it must be known that we are at all times ready for war." --George Washington

"The strongest man in the world is he who stands alone."- Henrik Ibsen

Forum List

Back