Reconciliation...

85% are happy? I doubt that, but giving your statistic the benefit of the doubt, that leaves 45 million Americans who don't have health insurance. Forty-Five Million living in the wealthiest nation on the planet. And that's just fine in you opinion?

Estimates place the number of people without health insurance in 2010 at 52 million.

More than eight in 10 Americans questioned in a CNN/Opinion Research Corp. survey released Thursday said they're satisfied with the quality of health care they receive.

And nearly three out of four said they're happy with their overall health care coverage.

Poll: Health care costs too expensive, Americans say - CNN.com

It should be noted that many people choose NOT to carry coverage by personal choice. Those that would like coverage have a substantial number who can't pay for it due to unemployment. Even with this legislation, approxiamtely 20 million will still be without insurance plus those that choose to pay the fine and not have it.

It should be noted that you cherry pick what you want to focus on from your link and only present what suits your needs.

"But satisfaction drops to 52 percent when it comes to the amount people pay for their health care, and more than three out of four are dissatisfied with the total cost of health care in the United States."

That is the very next paragraph from your own link. I wonder why you excluded it?? Hmm?

Because they don't want to acknowledge that polls showing disapproval don't necessarily reflect just what the nature of that disapproval is. The reconciliation process is being discussed as a way to improve the legislation already passed, which, when done, will likely cause approval to go up when those who've voiced dissatisfaction because they feel it doesn't go far enough are happier with it.

What was Medicare Part D?

Please tell us what your talking about, EriK. Cloture on it was invoked by the Senate with a70-29 vote. So please explain what you are asking.

Didn't know that about that part. I always thought it had gone through reconciliation, but I guess that's not the case here. What I was trying to get at, though was the idea that recoconciliation has also been used in the past to get around not having a flibuster-proof majority.

Like Greg Sargent points out in response to Sen. Hatch's op-ed:

* Hatch voted for the 2001 Bush tax cuts, which passed by a simple majority (58-33) via reconciliation.

* Hatch voted for the Jobs and Growth Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2003, accelerating the Bush tax cuts and adding new ones, which passed by a simple majority via reconciliation — 50-50 in the Senate with Dick Cheney casting the tiebreaking vote.

* Hatch voted for the 2005 Deficit Reduction Act, reducing Medicaid spending and allowing parents of disabled children to buy into Medicaid, which passed by a simple majority (52-47) via reconciliation.

* Hatch voted for the Tax Increase Prevention and Reconciliation Act of 2005, extending the Bush tax cuts for some tax brackets, which passed by a simple majority (54-44) via reconciliation.

There's also this:

On April 16, 2001, Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT) took to Fox News to boast about the GOP's first major use of the budget reconciliation process in the Bush-era. "I think we can do a reconciliation bill that'll have an overwhelming number of senators and congresspeople voting for this $1.3 trillion to $1.6 trillion tax cut," he said.

Today, he has a somewhat different take.

"To impose the will of some Democrats and to circumvent bipartisan opposition, President Obama seems to be encouraging Congress to use the "reconciliation" process, an arcane budget procedure, to ram through the Senate a multitrillion-dollar health-care bill that raises taxes, increases costs and cuts Medicare to fund a new entitlement we can't afford," Hatch writes in a Washington Post op-ed today. "This is attractive to proponents because it sharply limits debate and amendments to a mere 20 hours and would allow passage with only 51 votes (as opposed to the 60 needed to overcome a procedural hurdle). But the Constitution intends the opposite process, especially for a bill that would affect one-sixth of the American economy."

A few quick points on this:

1). The budget reconciliation process is not being considered for a "multi-trillion dollar health-care bill." That bill (which was scored by the Congressional Budget Office at below a trillion dollars) has already passed the Senate under the standard rules. It achieved a supermajority. The House can now pass that bill, and it can go to the President for signature. Reconciliation is only being discussed as an expedited way to amend that bill, without having to contend with an expected GOP filibuster.

2). Hatch says "the Constitution intends the opposite" but the Constitution says nothing about filibusters. It does allow the Senate to make its own rules, and one of the rules the Senate made for itself is the budget reconciliation process.

In 2001 the Republicans did ultimately succeed at using the budget reconciliation process to pass major tax cuts--a deficit busting measure that didn't comply with the reconciliation rules, and sunsets every five years. That reconciliation bill passed with 58 votes, including a handful of Democrats.

Erik, I just want to say that I don't think there should be a reconciliation, and I have never been a proponent of its use at anytime. I wish that had never been adopted

Murf76, you're interesting, I'll give you that.

It's funny that you joke that we should "socialize" legal care...since we already do! People get a lawyer even if they can't afford one...but they don't get a doctor? And even when their illness will be absorbed by the public at large anyway?

But they do get a doctor, regardless of their ability to pay during emergency situations, don't they? :eusa_whistle:

People aren't provided free legal for the purposes of everyday matters. We don't provide free service for wills and divorces. So, why are we paying for ingrown toenails and runny noses?

As for reading my source...yes I read it. And it says the figures aren't as great as Obama said (I'm not blindly protecting BO so don't set me up to be one of those partisan hacks. I follow the good ideas that NEITHER SIDE has a 100% lock on!)...but they're not the 3-4% you were whining about earlier.

They're beating earnings expectations. Meanwhile they claim hardship and kick people off the rolls via their leverage to beat earnings even more.

Bottom line... these fantastic profits that libs rage about are NOT happening. One company might do a little better than another, but on average... profits are about 3-4%.

You only believe in Tort reform in "interstate and federal cases."? Why those cases, you've made no argument simply stated an opinion. And surely those cases can't be the only ones causing such a large problem with healthcare as you say.

What jurisdictional case does the federal government have for intruding upon the States? :eusa_eh:

What enumerated authority under the Constitution allows the federal government to mandate that individual citizens purchase an insurance product? Or that employers, within the States, provide a government-specified benefit? Or that private medical records (property) can be seized without a warrant? :eusa_eh:

I'm not the lawyer in this thread. You are, apparently. So... what's your argument?

Estimates place the number of people without health insurance in 2010 at 52 million.

More than eight in 10 Americans questioned in a CNN/Opinion Research Corp. survey released Thursday said they're satisfied with the quality of health care they receive.

And nearly three out of four said they're happy with their overall health care coverage.

It should be noted that many people choose NOT to carry coverage by personal choice. Those that would like coverage have a substantial number who can't pay for it due to unemployment. Even with this legislation, approxiamtely 20 million will still be without insurance plus those that choose to pay the fine and not have it.

It should be noted that you cherry pick what you want to focus on from your link and only present what suits your needs.

"But satisfaction drops to 52 percent when it comes to the amount people pay for their health care, and more than three out of four are dissatisfied with the total cost of health care in the United States."

That is the very next paragraph from your own link. I wonder why you excluded it?? Hmm?

Because they don't want to acknowledge that polls showing disapproval don't necessarily reflect just what the nature of that disapproval is. The reconciliation process is being discussed as a way to improve the legislation already passed, which, when done, will likely cause approval to go up when those who've voiced dissatisfaction because they feel it doesn't go far enough are happier with it.

There are a lot of things that they don't want to acknowledge. Their spin about reconciliation and the excuses that they gave concerning it's past uses by republicans have been countered and shot down but how many of those posters who tried to spin that have come back and admitted that they were wrong? LOL

There are a lot of things that they don't want to acknowledge. Their spin about reconciliation and the excuses that they gave concerning it's past uses by republicans have been countered and shot down but how many of those posters who tried to spin that have come back and admitted that they were wrong? LOL
Where and when?

When has reconciliation been used as a cram down for any legislation unrelated to current budgetary items?

I haven't seen anyone come even close to answering that one.

Just do it!
The Republican Party's leadership has shown complete disdain for the will of the people for change, and continues to thwart efforts by the Democrats in Congress to provide universal healthcare to all Americans.
Hundreds of billions of dollars have been spent to wage war on terror, a freaking noun, without a peep from the chicken hawks as to its cost in blood and treasure.
Yet today the same fiscal neophytes on the right claim Obama&Co are breaking the bank by working towards the reform of how we pay for healhcare.
Worse, the Palin/Gingrich fringe run around doing the Henny Penny Polka, stirring up anger with divisive rhetoric and laying the blame on Democrats who were elected to fix the myriad of problems our nation faces today.

fAiL s0n................

Health Care Reform
44% Favor Health Care Plan, 52% Oppose
Monday, March 01, 2010 Email to a Friend ShareThis.Advertisement
President Obama’s health care summit last week seems to have nudged up support, but 52% of U.S. voters continue to oppose the plan proposed by the president and congressional Democrats.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 44% favor the plan, up three points from last week just before the summit and the highest level of support recorded since mid-November.

But passion remains on the side of the opponents: just 22% Strongly Favor the plan while 43% Strongly Oppose it.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooops!!!!

Oh.........and ps Cold............thought Id throw this in just for laughs.............

Confidence In Economy's Future Is At Lowest Point of Obama's Presidency
Tuesday, March 02, 2010 Email to a Friend ShareThis.Advertisement
Views of the country's short- and long-term economic future are gloomier these days than they have been at any time since President Obama took office in January of last year.

Forty-two percent (42%) of American adults now expect the U.S. economy to be weaker in one year’s time, up three points from January and the highest level found in 14 months of regular tracking on the question, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey.

Just do it!
The Republican Party's leadership has shown complete disdain for the will of the people for change, and continues to thwart efforts by the Democrats in Congress to provide universal healthcare to all Americans.
Hundreds of billions of dollars have been spent to wage war on terror, a freaking noun, without a peep from the chicken hawks as to its cost in blood and treasure.
Yet today the same fiscal neophytes on the right claim Obama&Co are breaking the bank by working towards the reform of how we pay for healhcare.
Worse, the Palin/Gingrich fringe run around doing the Henny Penny Polka, stirring up anger with divisive rhetoric and laying the blame on Democrats who were elected to fix the myriad of problems our nation faces today.

Yeah, they are such fucking hypocrites. spending billions to kill and destroy and send money overseas is perfectly fine and acceptable. Spending money to help americans is horrible.

Scum some of these people are, absolute ideology over reality scumbags

If you think the reason the democrats want to pass this bill is to help americans, you are a naive fool .........

Isn't it interesting how conservatives were right all along in our claims that Obama had ZERO intention of acting in a bipartisan way on this Healthcare Summit last week and that all he was doing was setting up his Reconciliation scenario.

I think that earns a big fat.... TOLD YA SO!

:eusa_whistle:

Reconciliation NOW

GOP has clearly shown they will not support any healthcare reform. An open invitation to put in what they wanted in return for supporting the bill was rejected. The GOP will do whatever it can to stop any reform. Just like they have done the last 50 years.

Show some Balls Dems! Its now or never

What would the GOP do if they were in your shoes?

If this bill is something to be soooo proud of why are the Dems having such a hard time passing it. The answer, it's a steaming pile of you know what and when the people figure that out the Dems don't want to be the one holding the bag, they want to be able to say hey the GOP passed it too. Go ahead Libs pass this.The people will have an answer for you guys soon,in the next election.

Time to start e-mailing, FAXing, calling or visiting your Senators and Representative to warn them to NOT pass ObamaCare 2.1 unless they want to lose their job.

Because the point was made that 80% of the people were happy with their coverage. I found sources relating directly to that statement. Gee, people want to pay less for insurance. Big surprise there. By the way, just how much are my premiums going down under the 0bama plan? Try zero. So, how many of these people will be happier with 0bama's plan? Zero. Use your brain for something besides this: :banghead:

Oh.........and ps Cold............thought Id throw this in just for laughs.............

Confidence In Economy's Future Is At Lowest Point of Obama's Presidency
Tuesday, March 02, 2010 Email to a Friend ShareThis.Advertisement
Views of the country's short- and long-term economic future are gloomier these days than they have been at any time since President Obama took office in January of last year.

Forty-two percent (42%) of American adults now expect the U.S. economy to be weaker in one year’s time, up three points from January and the highest level found in 14 months of regular tracking on the question, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey.

I'll toss this one in too skook....the current approval rating of the Pelosi led House and the Reid led Senate by CBS is at a whopping 15% BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA:lol:...and Obama is at a tremendous rating of 26% strong approval and 40% strong DISAPPROVAL!!!! from Rasmussen.

Last edited:
Isn't it interesting how conservatives were right all along in our claims that Obama had ZERO intention of acting in a bipartisan way on this Healthcare Summit last week and that all he was doing was setting up his Reconciliation scenario.

Some of us who support the legislation never thought he was in the first place.

Some of us who support the legislation never thought he was in the first place.

So, what you're telling us essentially is that you have no problem with tyranny over the minority... just so long as you get your way. :rolleyes:

You know, a year ago I remember posting on another website that Obama was not an "evil" person. I thought he was just misguided, naive, inexperienced.

I read his books, read his speeches, sifted through countless articles before the election... and even though I KNEW he was twisted in his thinking, an ideologue with narcissistic tendencies, and that he would be a bad president if elected... I wasn't willing to admit that he's an "evil" person. But he is.

He lies. He deceives. And he lacks even the basic sense of decency that would make normal people feel ashamed about it. There's no integrity there. He is NEVER a man of his word. He holds the citizens of this country in contempt.

Why would you, or anyone else, support that? :eusa_eh:
It's not even going to work. You'll have traded your honor for nothing.

He's bypassing the amendment process. Half the States are already making law that will prevent a central government takeover of healthcare. It's going to be challenged in court and it's going to be overturned. And at that point, you've supported a guy who WILLFULLY signed for unconstitutional laws. He doesn't have the excuse of claiming he didn't know better. He taught Constitutional Law as an associate professor at University of Chicago. He'll have done it deliberately, making him no different than any other common thug who flouts our law.

I honestly don't get why anyone would be okay with that. :eusa_eh:

Last edited:
So Bush could have partially privatized Social Security and reformed Medicare and Fannie and Freddie using reconciliation.

Thanks for the heads up, Dems, that's going to come in handy in 2012 when we've won it all back

So Bush could have partially privatized Social Security and reformed Medicare and Fannie and Freddie using reconciliation.

Thanks for the heads up, Dems, that's going to come in handy in 2012 when we've won it all back

Yeah...that would have been a great fucking idea Frank. With the Wall Street collapse and the stock market debacle suffered under the last year of Bush, privatizing Social Security would have been just peachy....:cuckoo:

Yeah...that would have been a great fucking idea Frank. With the Wall Street collapse and the stock market debacle suffered under the last year of Bush, privatizing Social Security would have been just peachy....:cuckoo:

When Bush had a majority, he should have just jammed it home through reconciliation

Well, exactly. They never think about what they're throwing away, that they might regret destroying the filibuster, that they might want it back later. They're like little children who can't seem to predict the consequences of their actions.

Two words: Warren Buffett

Forum List

Back