Relative costs

I have been in ill health for nearly two years now. The main reason I waste so much time on here. Anyway, before Christmas I had a below knee leg amputation and have been recovering at home since then.

I was in hospital for a week.. The operation was on day 1 and I had about 6 days recovering. There was no charge for that. They send a psychiatrist round to see that you are in good spirits as well. NO Charge. She was a real charmer and took me to the shop to buy an ice cream. I wanted a Solero but they only had Feasts so I had one of them. The Psych bought it for me. No charge.

A day after my Op the Occy Health came round and measured me up. A day later they delivered my customised wheelchair. No charge.

For the next few days the Physios came round every day and I practised using the chair,getting in and out, taking bits off and putting them back.

After a week my wife came and took me home. It was great to be back. The day after that the support services turned up with a ramp so that I could get out of the front door. They also adjusted the TV height for me so that I could watch it in comfort. No charge.

After a month or so recuperating and seeing my wound heal I got my first physio appointment. Ive been going 2 or 3 times a week since then. No charge.

Two weeks ago I was told that my swelling had gone down and I could be measured up for a prosthetic. No Charge.

On Tuesday I got my new leg and started the process of getting to walk again. Ive been booked in for physio until I dont need it any more. Its hard work with a Physio who thinks Prince was over rated.

Throughout this I have been on a cocktail of drugs . No charge.

I have also been given custom insoles to put in my shoes to ensure I am walking on the level. They also gave me a pair of shoes with "special features" to help me be comfortable as I learn to walk again. No charge.

In a month or so I hope to be walking around and a few months after that I expect to be back in work.

I think that I have been well looked after throughout all of this and I only have one real complaint.

They have also sent me a leaflet explaining how I can claim my new car using my motability allowance. Its a government scheme. I cant drive my car any more without some adjustments so I might as well have a new one. No charge.

I am guessing that all of this would have cost me a tidy some in the US ?
Luckily you weren't put on the Liverpool Pathway. That's free, too. Or do they have to ask you now?

I know that you think you are a funny guy. But you could try and contribute to the thread rather than expose your idiocy.

I would imagine that all of this would cost me around 6 figures in the US.
We have this new-fangled thing called medical insurance. The vast majority of citizens have opted into that system.

Healthcare should not be a for profit industry. Only the US doesnt get this. There is another thread on this board which states that healthcare bills are the biggest source of bankruptcy in the US.
How many life-saving/extending drugs, procedures, or technology has Britain developed in modern history?

1hmd6y-S.jpg

I have been in ill health for nearly two years now.

A day after my Op the Occy Health came round and measured me up.
Your mental problems are obvious but I expect you have invented the leg story to get sympathy and attention .
I can drive down to Wrexham and do a personal investigation .

Let's break this Fake News story , Batman . Can bring a Guardian photograher with me .

Or, how about you supply the evidence to back your claim, that's normally the protocol on forums. Making a claim then asking others to research and find evidence results in a, "Get stuffed".

Now all of a sudden, you jump from an alleged instance to, 'It's BUPA's protocol". But to back your claim, you need to supply the evidence of these alleged instances.

Baseless posts are not worth a dime.
Are you off your tablets old fella.?

We have medical insurance. Its called the NHS. Everyone is included. Its amazing.
"As it turns 75 this month, the N.H.S., a proud symbol of Britain’s welfare state, is in the deepest crisis of its history: flooded by aging, enfeebled patients; starved of investment in equipment and facilities; and understaffed by doctors and nurses, many of whom are so burned out that they are either joining strikes or leaving for jobs abroad."

[...]

More than 7.4 million people in England are waiting for medical procedures, everything from hip replacements to cancer surgery. That is up from 4.1 million before the coronavirus pandemic began in 2020.

Mortality data, exacerbated by long wait times, paints a bleak picture. In 2022, the number of excess deaths rose to one of the highest levels in the last 50 years, and those numbers have kept rising, even as the pandemic has ebbed.

In the first quarter of 2023, more than half of excess deaths — that is, deaths above the five-year average mortality rate, before the pandemic — were caused by something other than Covid-19. Cardiovascular-related fatalities, which can be linked to delays in treatment, were up particularly sharply, according to Stuart McDonald, an expert on mortality data at LCP, a London-based pension and investment advisory firm.

Forum List

Back