Report: Joe Biden plans to surrender protections for U.S. steel and aluminum

excalibur

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2015
Americans Last, the official motto of Traitor Joe©™.

Less than 5-months and the disaster that is the Traitor Joe©™ maladministration keeps getting worse.

FUCK ALL BIDEN VOTERS.

Joe Biden is expected to reverse U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum imports that were put in place by the Trump administration. Bloomberg has reported that Biden will commit to lifting the tariffs during his meeting with European leaders next week.

President Trump enacted the tariffs to stop U.S. dependence on foreign metals, which a government review found would be a national security threat. It was of great concern that becoming dependent on imported steel and aluminum would enable other countries to use their metal production to regulate U.S. policy.

... Meanwhile, U.S. steel industry groups have urged Biden not to drop the tariffs that have been credited for creating thousand of jobs.

A recent report by the left-leaning Economic Policy Institute shows the tariffs led to increased output, employment and capital investment by domestic manufacturers.

Joe Biden is expected to reverse U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum imports that were put in place by the Trump administration.

What took him so long?

Those tariffs started an unnecessary trade war

Or did they protect you from dumping and supporting slave labor in foreign shyteholes?

Therein lies the question. All nations must decide what is most important to them.

When historians write about Joes first trip to Europe, they'll call it "The Sucker Tour". Everybody gets over on Joe. And you can't tell me they're not laughing their asses off the minute Joe leaves the meeting. Hell, Americans don't respect him. He's the laughing stock of the world.

The only thing a US tariff does is make things more expensive to American consumers. Yeah, it helps the steel/aluminum workers (unions) but the prices for everything made out of steel/aluminum here in the US goes up, from cars to washing machines, to whatever. And of course when we slap a tariff on another country, they reciprocate and now you have problems selling your agricultural products abroad or whatever else the other country decides to hit. So now it's not only the consumers who pay a higher price to buy stuff made with steel or aluminum, but now the farmers and ranchers or whoever are hurt by the backlash. And on it goes, tit for tat.

I liked most of what Trump did while he was in office, but his tariffs were a stupid idea IMHO. And much as I dislike Biden and what he's been doing, in this instance I think he's doing the right thing. Maybe we need to find ways to make US steel and aluminum more competitive with foreign imports.

When historians write about Joes first trip to Europe, they'll call it "The Sucker Tour". Everybody gets over on Joe. And you can't tell me they're not laughing their asses off the minute Joe leaves the meeting. Hell, Americans don't respect him. He's the laughing stock of the world.

This is an important tour as Biden has to try to patch up the damage of four years of Trump

The only thing a US tariff does is make things more expensive to American consumers. Yeah, it helps the steel/aluminum workers (unions) but the prices for everything made out of steel/aluminum here in the US goes up, from cars to washing machines, to whatever. And of course when we slap a tariff on another country, they reciprocate and now you have problems selling your agricultural products abroad or whatever else the other country decides to hit. So now it's not only the consumers who pay a higher price to buy stuff made with steel or aluminum, but now the farmers and ranchers or whoever are hurt by the backlash. And on it goes, tit for tat.

I liked most of what Trump did while he was in office, but his tariffs were a stupid idea IMHO. And much as I dislike Biden and what he's been doing, in this instance I think he's doing the right thing. Maybe we need to find ways to make US steel and aluminum more competitive with foreign imports.
Wrong, it helped US steel and jobs.

Of course the left don’t care about such things anymore. Few even pretend to care about unions the way they used to, because they could care less if those people lose their jobs to some Chinese slaves in a sweatshop.

BS.

From the OP:

A recent report by the left-leaning Economic Policy Institute shows the tariffs led to increased output, employment and capital investment by domestic manufacturers.

Of course the left don’t care about such things anymore. Few even pretend to care about unions the way they used to, because they could care less if those people lose their jobs to some Chinese slaves in a sweatshop.

The Founding Fathers were not free-trade with other nations, they believed they created a free-trade zone among the several states, thus the interstate commerce clause. They believed in tariffs and put that specifically in the Constitution to protect American jobs.

This is an important tour as Biden has to try to patch up the damage of four years of Trump

LOL Yeah, demanding our allies pay their fair share of the common defense. As you bow and scrape to allies that don't pay their fair share. Some "damage".

Joe Biden is expected to reverse U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum imports that were put in place by the Trump administration.

What took him so long?

Those tariffs started an unnecessary trade war
Those tariffs stop Chinese communist profits that they are using to buy crooked western pols like Biden while building up their military to take over the world. It also had the added benefit of stopping Chinese pos products like their steel from being used here creating safety issues.

Americans Last, the official motto of Traitor Joe©™.

Less than 5-months and the disaster that is the Traitor Joe©™ maladministration keeps getting worse.

FUCK ALL BIDEN VOTERS.

Joe Biden is expected to reverse U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum imports that were put in place by the Trump administration. Bloomberg has reported that Biden will commit to lifting the tariffs during his meeting with European leaders next week.

President Trump enacted the tariffs to stop U.S. dependence on foreign metals, which a government review found would be a national security threat. It was of great concern that becoming dependent on imported steel and aluminum would enable other countries to use their metal production to regulate U.S. policy.

... Meanwhile, U.S. steel industry groups have urged Biden not to drop the tariffs that have been credited for creating thousand of jobs.

How many thousands? 1000 maybe or will it help down manufacturers? It will help down stream you stooge. The cost of lumber, steel, etc has gone up and with the help of the pandemic the prices of construction has sky rocketed and the wait is something else. I had a trumper general contractor tell me in April for a job he's going to do that thanks to the tariff's the prices are sky high not to mention the waiting time. I am waiting from April until an estimated time of August just to have some minor things done around the house.

So fuck off you and oan.

• What has been the impact of steel tariffs on jobs in these industries thus far? Estimates from a study released in December by Aaron Flaaen and Justin Pierce at the Federal Reserve Board of Governors show that by mid-2019, increased input costs due to the steel and aluminum tariffs are associated with 0.6 percent fewer jobs in the manufacturing sector than would have been the case without the tariffs. We compute that this amounts to about 75,000 fewer jobs in manufacturing attributable to the March 2018 tariffs on steel and aluminum, not counting additional losses among U.S. exporters facing tariffs other countries levied in retaliation. It is not yet possible to parse out exactly what fraction of this decline is due to steel versus the aluminum tariffs, but the higher duty on steel products (25 percent) compared to aluminum (10 percent), and observations that filings for exclusion from the steel tariffs far outpace filings for exclusions for aluminum, suggests that a substantial portion of the job losses are driven by steel tariffs. Additional tariffs aimed at preventing imports of goods made with steel and aluminum that manufacturers turned to as substitutes after the tariffs went into effect are likely to magnify these job losses.

What this Means:​

Tariffs on goods used by a large number of U.S. firms, like steel, make it difficult for U.S. producers to compete against foreign rivals, both at home and in export markets. Tariffs on steel may have led to an increase of roughly 1,000 jobs in steel production. However, increased costs of inputs facing U.S. firms relative to foreign rivals due to the Section 232 tariffs on steel and aluminum likely have resulted in 75,000 fewer manufacturing jobs in firms where steel or aluminum are an input into production. In addition, depressed global demand for durable consumption and investment goods related to policy uncertainty and increased costs from the trade war may be dampening demand for steel and weighing on steel prices. Tariffs on additional inputs into production made with steel are likely to exacerbate these adverse effects on the manufacturing sector.

Those tariffs stop Chinese communist profits that they are using to buy crooked western pols like Biden while building up their military to take over the world. It also had the added benefit of stopping Chinese pos products like their steel from being used here creating safety issues.

You are spitting into the wind. These leftists here are deaf to facts, thus they support a dipshit like Biden.

Thus they think "free trade" has benefitted America as they cheer the ilk of Øbama who tells working Americans to fuck-off when he says those jobs aren't coming back. All the while supporting one million legal immigrants per year and now open borders for illegals under the dipshit Biden.

You are very stupid.

From the OP:

BS.

From the OP:

Who pays for tariffs?

The $79 billion brought in by the Treasury could in principle come from three different sources: the foreign companies exporting goods to the United States; the American companies importing goods from abroad, or using imported inputs in their production processes; and American households as final consumers. Tracking precisely who pays for tariffs is difficult, because it depends on how buyers and sellers adjust their prices in response to tariffs, and how these price changes then ripple though supply chains and down to final consumers. The Trump administration has repeatedly argued that foreign companies are paying for tariffs. But multiple studies suggest this is not the case: the cost of tariffs have been borne almost entirely by American households and American firms, not foreign exporters. While estimates vary, economic analyses suggest the average American household has paid somewhere from several hundred up to a thousand dollars or more per year thanks to higher consumer prices attributable to the tariffs.

Did tariffs benefit American workers?

It depends which workers we’re talking about. Workers who produce the specific goods covered by tariffs typically benefit from the protection. While it is difficult to pin down exact numbers, the tariffs on steel products appear to have helped create several thousand jobs in the steel industry; similarly, tariffs on washing machines are associated with approximately 1,800 new jobs at Whirlpool, Samsung, and LG factories in the US. In these specific industries, then, tariffs have probably been good for workers.
But any benefits for workers in import-competing industries need to be balanced against losses for two other groups of workers. First, many workers are employed in factories that use imported goods as inputs in their production processes, and when these imports increase in cost due to tariffs, it harms their production, often leading to job losses. Second, when the U.S. unilaterally imposes tariffs, American trading partners often implement retaliatory tariffs which may limit U.S. export production, again ultimately harming workers in these industries.
In general, then, Trump’s tariffs have helped some workers and hurt others. Nothing is particularly surprising about this; trade policy almost always has important distributive effects, and any change in trade policy is a choice to benefit some groups at the expense of others. Yet, overall, when economists have attempted to add up the net effect of Trump’s tariffs on jobs, any gains in importing-competing sectors appear to have been more than offset by losses in industries that use imported inputs and face retaliation on their foreign exports. And even those jobs that have been created have come at great cost: studies suggest American consumers paid about $817,000 in higher prices attributable to the tariffs for every job created in the washing machine industry and $900,000 in the steel industry. While policy interventions to support manufacturing jobs may be warranted, there are cheaper ways to do so.

Traditionally, left leaning organizations like the EPI are closely allied with organized labor. I am not surprised that they vigorously support tariffs that favor their union supporters.

Traditionally, left leaning organizations like the EPI are closely allied with organized labor. I am not surprised that they vigorously support tariffs that favor their union supporters.

We built this nation on tariffs and protecting American jobs. It isn't some fucking game.

Companies like NUCOR are not unionized.

I am amazed that the capital investment and jobs created by the protection of the American steel and aluminum industry upsets Americans. I guess you side with Øbama when he said those jobs are never coming back. Learn to code, eh?

We built this nation on tariffs and protecting American jobs. It isn't some fucking game.

I am amazed that the capital investment and jobs created by the protection of the American steel and aluminum industry upsets Americans. I guess you side with Øbama when he said those jobs are never coming back. Learn to code, eh?

It wasn't Trump's tariffs that brought manufacturing jobs back. And what about the job losses for workers who are NOT in the steel and aluminum industry?

I never sided with Obama on anything. But I did learn to code. Is it necessary to make this personal? Generally when I see that it means the other guy ran out of things to say that support his argument. In general, democrats and their left-leaning pals have always supported tariffs when it helps their unionized supporters; they don't give a fuck about non-unions and they sure as hell don't give a fuck about consumers.

YES, the tariffs help create union jobs for workers in the steel and aluminum industries. But you are ignoring everybody else. And BTW, I don't think NUCOR imports foreign steel, they recycle domestic steel. So, the tariffs didn't really affect them as far as I can tell. They found a better and cheaper way to make steel.

It wasn't Trump's tariffs that brought manufacturing jobs back. And what about the job losses for workers who are NOT in the steel and aluminum industry?

I never sided with Obama on anything. But I did learn to code. Is it necessary to make this personal? Generally when I see that it means the other guy ran out of things to say that support his argument. In general, democrats and their left-leaning pals have always supported tariffs when it helps their unionized supporters; they don't give a fuck about non-unions and they sure as hell don't give a fuck about consumers.

YES, the tariffs help create union jobs for workers in the steel and aluminum industries. But you are ignoring everybody else. And BTW, I don't think NUCOR imports foreign steel, they recycle domestic steel. So, the tariffs didn't really affect them as far as I can tell. They found a better and cheaper way to make steel.

You've swallowed the free-traders Kool-Aid.

The Founding Fathers were not free-trade with other nations, they believed they created a free-trade zone among the several states, thus the interstate commerce clause. They believed in tariffs and put that specifically in the Constitution to protect American jobs.
Wow, you could not be more wrong if you tried. The import-export clause simply provided the federal government the power to impose tariffs, and forbid the states from doing so. It was about revenue, those duties were the only means the federal government had to raise funds. It had nothing to do with "protectionism". The foundation for the import-export clause was Hamilton's Federalist 12 which does not even mentioned protectionism.

Forum List

Back