Republican drive to end social programs UNCONSTITUTIONAL

That congress should have power to provide for the general welfare of the Union, I grant.

--George Mason

here is the full quote you piece of literal shit:

"And shall the support of our rights depend on the bounty of men whose interest it may be to oppress us? That Congress should have power to provide for the general welfare of the Union, I grant. But I wish a clause in the Constitution, with respect to all powers which are not granted, that they are retained by the states. Otherwise, the power of providing for the general welfare may be perverted to its destruction."

Seriously, Micky. Walk away. Friendly advice. You are a fool and your argument has been destroyed. You have two choices:

Choice #1: Be a man, admit you need to read up more on the subject, and walk away.

Choice #2: Continue expressing your idiocy and succumb to pride over integrity.

Last edited:
Look at the definition of 'publick.'
The word "publick" does not appear in the clause that grants Congress power to provide for the general welfare.

The power of Congress to tax and spend for the public welfare is enumerated.

No, it is not. PUBLIC welfare is nowhere in the Constitution. You try to use it in place of GENERAL welfare. They are not the same thing.

The word "general" means "public."

GENERAL, (jen'-er-al) a. Comprehending many species or individuals ; not special ; not particular ; lax in signification ; not restrained to any special or particular import; not restrained by narrow or distinctive limitations ; relating to a whole class or body of men, or a whole kind of any being ; publick ; comprising the whole ; having relation to all; extensive, though not universal ; common ; usual; compendious.

--A DICTIONARY OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE; BY SAMUEL JOHNSON, LL. D.; 1787 EDITION​

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/130665-want-to-cut-taxes-13.html#post2692563

Shut the fuck up... quit while you are behind

Your ignorance, twisting, smokescreens, and hypocrisy has been shown

"Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the government."
James Madison

"Our tenet ever was that Congress had not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but were restrained to those specifically enumerated, and that, as it was never meant that they should provide for that welfare but by the exercise of the enumerated powers, so it could not have been meant they should raise money for purposes which the enumeration did not place under their action; consequently, that the specification of powers is a limitation of the purposes for which they may raise money. "
Thomas Jefferson letter to Albert Gallatin, 1817

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
Benjamin Franklin

"I can find no warrant for such an appropriation in the Constitution, and I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering which is in no manner properly related to the public service or benefit."
President Grover Cleveland vetoing a bill for charity relief (18 Congressional Record 1875 [1877]

"I cannot find any authority in the Constitution for public charity. [To approve the measure] would be contrary to the letter and spirit of the Constitution and subversive to the whole theory upon which the Union of these States is founded."
President Franklin Pierce's 1854 veto of a measure to help the mentally ill.

James Madison, the Father of the Constitution, elaborated upon this limitation in a letter to James Robertson:
With respect to the two words "general welfare," I have always regarded them as qualified by the detail of powers connected with them. To take them in a literal and unlimited sense would be a metamorphosis of the Constitution into a character which there is a host of proofs was not contemplated by its creators. If the words obtained so readily a place in the "Articles of Confederation," and received so little notice in their admission into the present Constitution, and retained for so long a time a silent place in both, the fairest explanation is, that the words, in the alternative of meaning nothing or meaning everything, had the former meaning taken for granted.

"The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite."
James Madison

A wise and frugal government ... shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government."
Thomas Jefferson

"If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the general welfare, the Government is no longer a limited one, possessing enumerated powers, but an indefinite one
James Madison

George Mason was an Anti Federalist so I doubt that he would be a supporter of what we now have as a government.

republitards (read baby killers) don't mind big government if it's used to kill people of color or jail them. Watch the fuck out if you try to use it to house or feed them.

Our founders DID not believe the phrase about General Welfare in the Preamble granted any power to the FED AT ALL.

Mr. George Mason held the opinion, that the clause, to provide for the common defence and general welfare, was a substantive power.

Again... Mr. Out of Context... of the UNITED STATES.... the UNION of STATES... The FEDERATION of STATES

you and your ilk refuse to use the for quote in context because it defeats your point.. and you simply do not want your assertion to be wrong.. but sorry, it is

republitards (read baby killers) don't mind big government if it's used to kill people of color or jail them. Watch the fuck out if you try to use it to house or feed them.

hey dumbass. anything intelligent to say today?

not to you baby killer, I don't fuck much with GED's like you. Get an education and get back to me. Tard.

not to you baby killer, I don't fuck much with GED's like you. Get an education and get back to me. Tard.

so...no then? Ok. I challenge you to refute anything ive ever posted on this board, if im so uneducated and retarded. Good luck.

Last edited:
That congress should have power to provide for the general welfare of the Union, I grant.

--George Mason

"And shall the support of our rights depend on the bounty of men whose interest it may be to oppress us? That Congress should have power to provide for the general welfare of the Union, I grant. But I wish a clause in the Constitution, with respect to all powers which are not granted, that they are retained by the states. Otherwise, the power of providing for the general welfare may be perverted to its destruction."

Seriously, Micky. Walk away. Friendly advice. You are a fool and your argument has been destroyed. You have two choices:

Choice #1: Be a man, admit you need to read up more on the subject, and walk away.

surely you're not claiming that his commentary has force of law, are you?

--George Mason

surely you're not claiming that his commentary has force of law, are you?

not anymore than micky is. I just felt like i should post the quote in context. surely you agree that a quote in context is a good thing, yes?

also, i appreciate you not patronizing me. I know what im talking about, always respond to critique and make logical arguments. I don't troll and I am not dumb enough to say that a simple quote in a speech has any merit when it comes to the law. I appreciate a little respect in the realm of intelligence, alright?

You want to challenge me intellectually? Fine. But don't ask me stupid shit.

Last edited:

so...no then? Ok. I challenge you to refute anything ive ever posted on this board, if im so uneducated and retarded. Good luck.

shut up baby killer, get an education and I might give a fuck what you say:lol:

So, you can't refute anything...pretty obvious who the retarded one is.

So, you can't refute anything...pretty obvious who the retarded one is.

Yes.. the troll topspin likes to just state that people are uneducated, while showing his improper grammar, word usage, and inability to differentiate opinion from fact...

You certainly do have personal issues you need to work on. :eusa_whistle:

please cite your link for reference as to where you are pulling definitions from some 1787 version... I have a reference point from the 1755 version (last I can see he published)
I use what is known as the 7th edition published in 1785 immediately following Johnson's death. I was wrong about the 1787 date.

I have other editions, but the 7th is the one closest to, and also prior to, 1787.

Link
It's on a disc I purchased.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back