🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

RESEARCH ON MEDIA BIAS

MindWars

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2016
The leftwing bias of the American mass media is pervasive and quantifiable. Since the 1980s, studies have consistently shown that the professionals who constitute America’s mainstream news media – reporters, editors, anchors, publishers, correspondents, bureau chiefs, and executives at the nation’s major newspapers, magazines, and broadcast networks – are preponderantly left-oriented and Democrat. These studies have excluded commentators, editorialists, and opinion columnists – all of whom make it clear that they are giving their opinions and analyses of the news as they view it. Rather, the focus of the research has been on those individuals whose ostensible duty is to impartially and comprehensively present the relevant facts to the readers, listeners, and viewers.

A useful way of gauging the news media’s political and ideological makeup is to examine what the professionals in that industry believe about a wide array of social, ethical, and political issues. For example, research shows that:

• Fully 81% of news media professionals favor affirmative action in employment and academia.
Research on Media Bias - Discover the Networks

I'm not sure this should go here, but if not I guess a mod can move it. Sorry for the troubles Mods...
I debated which section to put this in as this is needed information, yet educational etc.

The leftwing bias of the American mass media is pervasive and quantifiable. Since the 1980s, studies have consistently shown that the professionals who constitute America’s mainstream news media – reporters, editors, anchors, publishers, correspondents, bureau chiefs, and executives at the nation’s major newspapers, magazines, and broadcast networks – are preponderantly left-oriented and Democrat. These studies have excluded commentators, editorialists, and opinion columnists – all of whom make it clear that they are giving their opinions and analyses of the news as they view it. Rather, the focus of the research has been on those individuals whose ostensible duty is to impartially and comprehensively present the relevant facts to the readers, listeners, and viewers.

A useful way of gauging the news media’s political and ideological makeup is to examine what the professionals in that industry believe about a wide array of social, ethical, and political issues. For example, research shows that:

• Fully 81% of news media professionals favor affirmative action in employment and academia.

I'm not sure this should go here, but if not I guess a mod can move it. Sorry for the troubles Mods...
I debated which section to put this in as this is needed information, yet educational etc.

I don't see how you can have a dilemma on where to put this thread. The answer is obvious and in your thread title --- Media. What else could it be?

Your conclusion though is a non-sequitur. Let's assume your 81% whatever figure is accurate ---- if 81% of dry cleaners were surveyed to have right-wing politics, would you expect your suits to come back only clean on the right side?

Even if more reporters are Democrat voters, it does not follow that the news they report is inaccurate.

Even if more reporters are Democrat voters, it does not follow that the news they report is inaccurate.
It's often incomplete.

I don't see how you can have a dilemma on where to put this thread. The answer is obvious and in your thread title --- Media. What else could it be?

Your conclusion though is a non-sequitur. Let's assume your 81% whatever figure is accurate ---- if 81% of dry cleaners were surveyed to have right-wing politics, would you expect your suits to come back only clean on the right side?
My dry cleaner does not have an impact on the the national political culture.

My dry cleaner does not have an impact on the the national political culture.

But he does have an impact on your dry cleaning. Do his political views impact that in any way?
Of course not, that doesn't follow.

Follow me?

"I admit it : The liberal media were never that powerful and the whole thing was often used as an excuse by conservatives for conservative failures." --- William Kristol

"I've gotten balanced coverage and broad coverage - all we could have asked. ... For heaven sakes, we kid about the liberal media, but every republican on earth does that." --- Pat Buchanan

"If you tell a lie big enough and often enough, eventually the gullible will come to believe it" --- Somebody

Exactly. It's much like the gun-control non sequitur that at least one of the wags already in here loves to lean on --- "Chicago/New York/Austraila/Canada/Wherever has all this gun control and yet here are these gun murders" --- completely oblivious to the fact that Chicago/New York/Australia/Canada/Wherever put those gun control measures into effect because they had gun violence, not the other way 'round.

Same thing here -- nobody's better informed than reporters, so if they lean in some direction personally it's probably exactly because they're informed. But that doesn't mean they let it bias them professionally -- regardless what their own views are. They're not there to express their own views.

Just as one's dentist might be opinionated and take the opportunity to drop a load of right-wing crapola while he's got instruments in your mouth and can't respond --- that doesn't mean he can't be trusted with the root canal.

The old cart-before-the-horse non sequitur.

"I admit it : The liberal media were never that powerful and the whole thing was often used as an excuse by conservatives for conservative failures." --- William Kristol

"I've gotten balanced coverage and broad coverage - all we could have asked. ... For heaven sakes, we kid about the liberal media, but every republican on earth does that." --- Pat Buchanan

"If you tell a lie big enough and often enough, eventually the gullible will come to believe it" --- Somebody
I posted a UCLA study that showed liberal bias. You posted nothing.

Forum List

Back