Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan story by Martin Scorsese

• Banned
I watched the rest of it last night- Dylan was an interesting character- not what I thought he would be at all- of course this didn't/wasn't a 24/7 life style thing, but about the Rolling Thunder Revue tour. He was a cult like figure and had a cult like following and as near as I could see from the movie, he didn't try to leverage that maliciously- there was a scene where he met with CBS record officials in NY City and it was easy to see he was out of his element in that setting- he was uncomfortable. Maybe at what they were saying. I couldn't hear it well it was mostly mumbling and Dylan never took a seat- when he left their offices he didn't he was very subdued- which was unusual from what I saw on stage and behind the scenes-

It gave me a different perspective of his persona (as there was a live interview after or during the filming) and he is pretty laid back- something I learned (because I only really knew about him from a couple of songs I've heard through the years) his on stage songs were long and complicated lyrically- it's hard to believe he was all drugged up as I'd been led to believe- hell, I have a hard time remembering lyrics to a 3 minute song- LOL- and the only drugs I do are coffee and cigarettes-

Anyway- I rate it enjoyable.

I saw a documentary about him some time back... he was intensely private. Hated interviews, hated people coming back stage after concerts and didn't even talk to band mates much. It is interesting to note his first band played all rock and roll, until one night he heard a folk singer in a bar and heard the lyrics. He immediately shucked the band and started writing folk music.

The movie "Masked and Anonymous" starring Dylan and John Goodman was perhaps the strangest combination of Rock & Roll and drama in H'wood history. I'm still trying to figure out the plot.

I watched the rest of it last night- Dylan was an interesting character- not what I thought he would be at all- of course this didn't/wasn't a 24/7 life style thing, but about the Rolling Thunder Revue tour. He was a cult like figure and had a cult like following and as near as I could see from the movie, he didn't try to leverage that maliciously- there was a scene where he met with CBS record officials in NY City and it was easy to see he was out of his element in that setting- he was uncomfortable. Maybe at what they were saying. I couldn't hear it well it was mostly mumbling and Dylan never took a seat- when he left their offices he didn't he was very subdued- which was unusual from what I saw on stage and behind the scenes-

It gave me a different perspective of his persona (as there was a live interview after or during the filming) and he is pretty laid back- something I learned (because I only really knew about him from a couple of songs I've heard through the years) his on stage songs were long and complicated lyrically- it's hard to believe he was all drugged up as I'd been led to believe- hell, I have a hard time remembering lyrics to a 3 minute song- LOL- and the only drugs I do are coffee and cigarettes-

Anyway- I rate it enjoyable.
He is one of our greatest songwriters. He had little training in music and mostly taught himself. His real talent lies in his poetry. As Bob Dylan says, his music is just his way of expressing himself.

The movie "Masked and Anonymous" starring Dylan and John Goodman was perhaps the strangest combination of Rock & Roll and drama in H'wood history. I'm still trying to figure out the plot.
What plot? A rock legend is bailed out of prison to perform a concert in a decaying future America. A star heavy cast and Dylan's music couldn't rescue this film. Dylan's acting is terrible, apparently he had trouble with more one line at time.

Forum List

Back