Rural Towns Are Aging, Cash-Strapped and in Desperate Need of Workers

Zincwarrior

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2021
I wish this article wasn't behind a pay/register wall because it's a worthwhile subject to discuss.
The pandemic did reverse some of the flight out of rural America but this article seemed to be about jobs.
Hard to find up to date articles.

This looks like a case of....it depends on what part of rural America you are talking about.
The article references Ashland, ME which is close to the Canadian border.
Not much in the way of anything up there. :)
Beautiful country though. But not realistic for most young people to live in.

Article discusses increasing problems with small towns finding workers. Younger workers are choosing not to work in small towns now.​

Rural Towns Are Aging, Cash-Strapped and in Desperate Need of Workers​

With younger labor in short supply, aging workers often find themselves pulling double—or triple—duty to keep towns afloat​

They could use those illegals that Abbott keeps shipping to NYC.

I wish this article wasn't behind a pay/register wall because it's a worthwhile subject to discuss.
The pandemic did reverse some of the flight out of rural America but this article seemed to be about jobs.

This looks like a case of....it depends on what part of rural America you are talking about.

Its WSJ but no paywall.

Article discusses increasing problems with small towns finding workers. Younger workers are choosing not to work in small towns now.​

Rural Towns Are Aging, Cash-Strapped and in Desperate Need of Workers​

With younger labor in short supply, aging workers often find themselves pulling double—or triple—duty to keep towns afloat​

Younger workers are choosing not to work in small towns? Hell, younger workers are choosing not to work at all.

Here is a no paywall link: MSN

There are multiple factors here IMO. One is that these communities are economically leaky buckets meaning their money that goes out of town to Amazon or Direct TV seldom comes back into town. One of the others is education. If someone aspires to go to college, but also wants to come back home, they probably aren't going to be able to afford to pay their student loans. This I put squarely at the feet of conservatives.

Who the hell is Jon Kamp and when hasn't every tiny town in Northern Maine been strapped for cash? Big cities are strapped for cash because they are flooded by parasite illegal aliens who demand free housing, food and medical care. When you factor in inflation and energy costs it's a wonder why the whole Nation isn't strapped for cash.

Forum List

Back