Seles-Graf [1992]: French Talkers

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
Graf-Seles rivalry (women's tennis) homage, now that all the Grand Slam events are over for '24, and we're all talking NFL. Thanks for reading,

:26:

====

The 1992 French Open women's final, a classic for YouTube fans for upload/view, featured an epic 3-set stunner between once-indomitable Steffi Graf of Germany and risen-star and upstart-rival from Yugoslavia (Monica Seles). It was a hint at the flowery of the inception of social media culture for sports commentary, pluralism fanfare, and general Earthling helmets. Germany was bouncing back from the horrors of WWII with media/sports offering, and Seles was pensive about the then-troubles of the Yugoslavia clan/ethnic/civil wars which resulted in the break-up of that area into smaller nations. This was very interesting for fans of sports-writing, to be sure.

tar1.jpg

The proliferation of sports video-games, which does not exclude tennis games (for the Xbox, etc.), is a nice signpost for our Internet/computers/email age of wireless miracles of social activity access for the Ego. You might think of such access in civilization as reflection for what's become a language for shared/democratic activity. It's a revelation for a time of communities engaged in the dramatics of contests for 'stalemate' storytelling for the brains!

tar2.jpg

Graf simply dominated women's tennis before Seles' ground-shattering arrival/rise (yeah). It was almost predictable who'd win or likely win, before Seles introduced that women's rivalry spice to the circuit media for Graf's 'universe' of singularly-dominated athletics tennis imagery for marketing/fans/dodecahedrons/art. It's so funny it's not considered a more symbolic piece for what makes Earthling sports so completely fashionable.

tar3.jpg

As I sat in my Echelon/Jersey area home and enjoyed a Saturday-AM YouTube viewing of that 'iconic' 1992 French Open (Grand Slam!) final, I realized the Graf-Seles rivalry had become somehow purely reflection-linked for our Selfie-comments time of life/activity oriented Earthling doughnuts. Man, what if Seles failed (ha)?

tar5.jpg

Sure, there's lots of moments in time for rivalries in sports, like Duke-Kentucky (men's college basketball), Borg-McEnroe (men's tennis), Ali-Frazier (boxing), Cowboys-49ers (American football), but I make this post to remind myself you need not be a lady to appreciate what Seles did...for human mail (wow).

====

"Money is everything" (Ecclesiastes)

Who would have thought something as dramatic as a stabbing would change the course of tennis history? Seles surely would have won more majors if not sidelines for over 2 years & Graf would have lost out on most of them as she got better competition as time went on! Players outside the top 10 were besting her multiple times like little Amanda Coetzer! There are other instances that could have changed things if decisions had been different like Navratilova only winning 18 majors! I say she burned herself out trying to play all 3 disciplines at each major! Early on; esp. those doubles' matches would go well past midnight! End RANT! :stir: :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

Forum List

Back