Senior Cat question

arcfontis

Rookie
Feb 13, 2014
Greetings everyone!
I have a 14 year old Tortishell cat who has just lost her mother. I adopted them both in 2000, and they have been together ever since. Pumpkin had a 3rd compannion (male maine coon) who passed away in 2012. This is the first time in her life she has been the only cat. She seems to be adjusting, but I am wondering if she would like another cat companion?? Since she is a senior cat, indoors only, what other people think about this. I would appreciate any advice!

We had a 15-year-old cat who was literally given a heart attack by his aggressively playful younger housemates.

His mother lived to be 20 but then she died and the younger cats only had the 15-year-old to pay attention to, and they scared him to death within a month.

(In other words, I recommend caution.)

Last edited:
Welcome arcfontis! I moved your thread into the pet area where it will get the right exposure and answered much faster. Enjoy the forums!

Greetings everyone!
I have a 14 year old Tortishell cat who has just lost her mother. I adopted them both in 2000, and they have been together ever since. Pumpkin had a 3rd compannion (male maine coon) who passed away in 2012. This is the first time in her life she has been the only cat. She seems to be adjusting, but I am wondering if she would like another cat companion?? Since she is a senior cat, indoors only, what other people think about this. I would appreciate any advice!

I have read, it to be wise, to bring a younger animal in, of the opposite sex and to leave the younger one in a separate room in the beginning, bringing it out more and more each day to be integrated with the existing, *boss* cat or dog.

I did this with my dogs in the past and it worked perfectly, adding a spring to the step of the older dog, who always adjusted to the newbie. :D I made sure to give extra attention to my existing dog, on a daily basis.

When it came time for the elder sweetheart to leave me forever, it made it somewhat more tolerable for me to accept the loss.

Best of luck you. If you are still in doubt, I encourage you to talk to a veterinarian about this advice.

Except for lions, cats are solitary animals. Its true they become friends with other cats and other animals but I don't think I would be in a rush to get another cat.

However, if you do, I would get a long-neutered male adult.

Don't put her through raising a kitten and females are usually dominant. That's why I would get an older male.

But, as I said, I wouldn't get another cat right now.

Welcome to the board.

Greetings everyone!

In the pairing of cats it is best to match the activity level.

So, an older cat who likes to sleep..... get another older cat who loves to sleep. An older active cat who loves to play...get another cat who loves to play.

Getting a young cat who wants to play with an older cat who wants to sleep will put to much pressure on an older cat. All they will be is stressed and pissed off.

Greetings everyone!

the cat thinks you are a cat

a larger dumber cat

but none the less a cat

so she already has one

ok here's an update: Yesterday I adopted 2 black cats, both male approx 7-8 months old. They are not related but bonded at the Cat Shoppe when they were being fostered. I asked the clerk about having a 14 year old cat I eventually wanted to bring together with them. She said if I adopted both, A. they would have each other to play with if Pumpkin didn't show much interest and B. It would help both adjust to their new home. I agreed and brought both boys home. One is neutered and the other one will be shortly.
Alburt is far more outgoing and friendly. We bonded instantly. When I come into the room he trills at me in greeting and we play. He is a lap cat as well! Beall is more skittish; he has stayed behind the recliner where their bed is, but can watch what's going on.
I have been in and out of the room all day just hanging out and playing with Alburt. Tonight, Beall came out from behind my chair and went to eat. Once out, he stayed where he could watch better. He and Alburt began to play together in front of me and I even got Beall to accept some treats from my hand. I feel I have made some progress in one day.
Also, I go upstairs where my female cat (Pumpkin) lives. She smells my clothes all over, but has not hissed or run away. She simply gives me the once over and then goes about her business. I am hopeful this is a good sign she will eventually accept the boys upstairs with her.
Does anyone had any comments or support? I am alone and don't have anyone to share this with.
Thanks!

I might add Pumpkin has been around other cats all her life. Her mother was a black cat and she had a male maine coon companion for 10 years.

congratulations on your 2 new babies!

I agree with adopting 2 cats of the same age and energy level. Just as you were told... they will keep each other entertained while leaving your older cat to relax.

The introduction is ALL about the butt sniffing. Once they do that the getting to know you will go much better.

If they are using separate boxes.... swap a scoop full of used liter in each box. That way they will get used to each others smells as being something "normal" in their boxes.

Forum List

Back