Seriously?

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
I've been waiting all day to see if someone would start a thread on the 77th anniversary, but so far - nothing. Is this the History forum or not?

I've been waiting all day to see if someone would start a thread on the 77th anniversary, but so far - nothing. Is this the History forum or not?
D-Day. Why would most people here post a thread that shows what kind of country this is and the people who died to keep it that way? If it makes America look good there is no interest.

Not true for me. I was raised by that generation. They whistled at women and they said what they thought.

The award winning liar probably does not know that his avatar, Art Carney, landed on Omaha beach that day. He was a lucky man that day, he survived, and saw a lot of Americans die. He never forgot.

The victors write the history books and the FDR propaganda machine was in full swing when the entire focus of the D-Day landings was about the secrecy of the operation and how we "fooled" the Germans. The truth of the matter is that the Germans were well prepared to move their defenses and the "breakout" lasted the better part of a month. The Allies had more manpower than the Germans so eventually the Allies succeeded in trading lives for real estate losing about 100,000 in an operation that most military strategists would claim to be foolhardy, a direct assault on an impregnable fortress.

This is true. In addition there are indications that a lot of those in the first wave were basically malcontents and screw ups that were used as cannon fodder.

This is true. In addition there are indications that a lot of those in the first wave were basically malcontents and screw ups that were used as cannon fodder.
If that were the case they should have rolled roosevelt out in the first wave.

I don't presume to have a strategic alternate to D Day. Maybe letting Germany keep it's conquered French territory. My point is that what we think we know about D Day is fiction created by the government and the media to deflect outrage over the incredible losses.

If D Day was bad strategy what would be the better alternative? To me there was no other alternative is was desperation all or nothing.

Forum List

Back