Shoveling, 101.

G.T.

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2009
I have a 6 car driveway at my house and I have not yet purchased a snow-blower, this being my third season here. I never wanted one.

I enjoy myself when I'm out shoveling, it's one of the rare times in the wintertime I'm outdoors for an extended period of time because I'm not much into winter sports.

Now - last week's storm, I shoveled like 8 times and didn't let any build up during the storm.

This time, it's supposed to come down really quickly, especially through the night hours but it's looking mighty heavy out there already. I'm wondering if I shouldn't just ride this storm out indoors and then pay for it in the morning or what.

I'll tell ya, nothing is worse than that 6 foot wall of snow the plows leave at the base of the driveway though. It takes me double the time to do that then it does to shovel the entire rest. Our mailman cuts across everyone's front lawn, too, and I'm one of the few who cares enough to give him a path but some people clean up their whole shit and make the guy plow through it himself on foot.

:eusa_hand:

To shovel often, or not to shovel often, that is the question.

Whatever happened to teenagers? Why don't they come around in the summer offering to cut your grass for a few bucks? Why aren't they shoveling driveways for cash?

Lazy bastards.

I did have one kid come around a couple years back, asking to mow the lawn. I was so shocked I nearly kissed him. Hell yeah, son! I'm so proud of you I will overpay you. I even let him use my machine and gas.

For some reason I cannot remember, he had to stop after a while. But then his sister took up the slack!

These kids were real Americans.

Then the family moved away, and not one other kid has come around since. And there are scads of them around here.

Last edited:
Im too young to pay someone. I'z baarn whun raygun whuz prezz

I have a 6 car driveway at my house and I have not yet purchased a snow-blower, this being my third season here. I never wanted one.

You will want one when you are older and get three to five feet of snow.

Why spend your life hurting your back and wasting time when you can be doing something else?

Why not spend a little time snow blowing your neighbor's and getting to know them that way?

I enjoy myself when I'm out shoveling, it's one of the rare times in the wintertime I'm outdoors for an extended period of time because I'm not much into winter sports.

Now - last week's storm, I shoveled like 8 times and didn't let any build up during the storm.

This time, it's supposed to come down really quickly, especially through the night hours but it's looking mighty heavy out there already. I'm wondering if I shouldn't just ride this storm out indoors and then pay for it in the morning or what.

I'll tell ya, nothing is worse than that 6 foot wall of snow the plows leave at the base of the driveway though. It takes me double the time to do that then it does to shovel the entire rest. Our mailman cuts across everyone's front lawn, too, and I'm one of the few who cares enough to give him a path but some people clean up their whole shit and make the guy plow through it himself on foot.

no pics???

You will want one when you are older and get three to five feet of snow.

Why spend your life hurting your back and wasting time when you can be doing something else?

Why not spend a little time snow blowing your neighbor's and getting to know them that way?

its not a waste of time, I enjoy it

plus, im in good with all my neighbors chucky, rllaxx

no pics???

well its 11pm now....ill upload a couple in the morning

Im too young to pay someone. I'z baarn whun raygun whuz prezz

A word of advice- wear a scarf across your face, or one of those paper respirators.
At the very least, breath in through your nose trials and out your yapper.

The cold air entering your lungs can cause blood to thicken around your heart.

Where is here? We (NE PA) got 13" or so, more to come tonight, plus sleet.

Shovel often, especially if it's the heavy wet snow. If you let it get too high you have to do it in layers and it takes much longer. The powdery stuff is easy, you can just push that with a shovel. At some point in life you might want to get a snowblower but not now. Shoveling is a nice little workout. Teach your kid(s) to help when they are young so they won't grumble later on. Well, they'll probably still grumble but they'll have learned the shovel skills. Get those shovels that are bendy, much easier to lift the snow and much easier on your back. You'll be glad about that later on.

Where is here? We (NE PA) got 13" or so, more to come tonight, plus sleet.

Shovel often, especially if it's the heavy wet snow. If you let it get too high you have to do it in layers and it takes much longer. The powdery stuff is easy, you can just push that with a shovel. At some point in life you might want to get a snowblower but not now. Shoveling is a nice little workout. Teach your kid(s) to help when they are young so they won't grumble later on. Well, they'll probably still grumble but they'll have learned the shovel skills. Get those shovels that are bendy, much easier to lift the snow and much easier on your back. You'll be glad about that later on.

Albany area of N Y

I suggest you live farther south.
My drive is about 700 feet long with a curve and a slope, so there is no whay I will shovel my drive.

Last edited:
13858_1200406342823_7143167_n.jpg

Just go play in it... That's the first priority. :thup:

The above was an October Blizzard in D-Town.

When is the fricken Global Warming going start?... :dunno:

:)

peace...

Forum List

Back