So you thought you had the right to see your kids healthcare information?

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
Parents will no longer have access to Protected Health Information (PHI) belonging to children 13 and older, in accordance with state privacy laws. The result is that upon turning 13, your child will have sole access to test results, chart notes, and all discussions with medical personnel in the practice or during a hospital stay. The current access to the child's healthcare information ended April 5th. This is in addition to other laws protecting healthcare privacy. This is the law in my state. Your state may be a bit different. The age may be 16 or in a few states 18 in others, but there is a law in all but a few states.

There is no better way to describe this than bull shit. Parents and other caregivers have to have access to children's health information in order to care for the child. Suppose your child has sever headaches and the doctor orders a CT Scan and it is determined that he has brain tumor. The doctor or nurse ask the child if he wants this disclosed to his parents and he says I don't want anybody to know. It is not uncommon for kids to want to hide their health condition.

I am writing this because my family has become a victim of this horrible law. My grandson was diagnosed with Schizophrenia when he was 16 years old. He was picked up by police walking out in front of traffic and taken to the ER because he was having hallucinations. His parents were notified because the ER needed insurance information. To make a long story short, he was involuntary committed and released 2 weeks later with release instructions and prescriptions which he disposed in the nearest trash can. Thus began 3 years of pure hell for the family trying to care for a severely schizophrenic child with no help or coordination with healthcare professionals until they got a court order declaring him mentally incompetent and appointing the parent as legal guardian. Kids need to have some rights but parents need to be able to care for their kids.

Last edited:
His parents were notified because the ER needed insurance information.
I would have told the hospital to send all the bills to the state since they drove the entire situation. The hospital then could chose to bill the state or release the patient.

until they got a court order declaring the parent as legal guardian.
The parent already IS the legal guardian until the kid reaches 18. But nice to finally see some progressive-liberal bullcrap come back to bite another liberal-progressive in the ass.

This can hurt any family regardless of their politics. There should be some privacy rights for children in certain circumstance but their should not be a law that excludes all parents under all conditions access to their kids health information without a signed ROI. For example a parent should be able to apply for an exception based on the situation.

Last edited:
Parents will no longer have access to Protected Health Information (PHI) belonging to children 13 and older, in accordance with state privacy laws. The result is that upon turning 13, your child will have sole access to test results, chart notes, and all discussions with medical personnel in the practice or during a hospital stay. The current access to the child's healthcare information ended April 5th. This in addition to other laws protecting healthcare privacy. This is the law in my state. Your state may be a bit different. The age may be 16 or in a few states 18 in others, but there is a law in all but a few states.

There is no better way to describe this than bull shit. Parents and other caregivers have to have access to children's health information in order to care for the child. Suppose your child has sever headaches and the doctor orders a CT Scan and it is determined that he has brain tumor. The doctor or nurse ask the child if he wants this disclosed to his parents and he says I don't want anybody to know. It is not uncommon for kids to want to hide their health condition.

I am writing this because my family has become a victim of this horrible law. My grandson was diagnosed with Schizophrenia when he was 16 years old. He was picked up by police walking out in front of traffic and taken to the ER because he was having hallucinations. His parents were notified because the ER needed insurance information. To make a long short, he was involuntary committed and released 2 weeks later with release instructions and prescriptions which he disposed in the nearest trash can. Thus began 3 years of pure hell for the family trying to care for a severely schizophrenic child with no help or coordination with healthcare professionals until they got a court order declaring him mentally incompetent and appointing the parent as legal guardian. Kids need to have some rights but parents need to be able to care for their kids.
Wow.... another notch in the belt of the power whores on the left.
Fucking horrible.

Parents will no longer have access to Protected Health Information (PHI) belonging to children 13 and older, in accordance with state privacy laws. The result is that upon turning 13, your child will have sole access to test results, chart notes, and all discussions with medical personnel in the practice or during a hospital stay. The current access to the child's healthcare information ended April 5th. This in addition to other laws protecting healthcare privacy. This is the law in my state. Your state may be a bit different. The age may be 16 or in a few states 18 in others, but there is a law in all but a few states.

I am writing this because my family has become a victim of this horrible law. My grandson was diagnosed with Schizophrenia when he was 16 years old. He was picked up by police walking out in front of traffic and taken to the ER because he was having hallucinations. His parents were notified because the ER needed insurance information. To make a long short, he was involuntary committed and released 2 weeks later with release instructions and prescriptions which he disposed in the nearest trash can. Thus began 3 years of pure hell for the family trying to care for a severely schizophrenic child with no help or coordination with healthcare professionals until they got a court order declaring him mentally incompetent and appointing the parent as legal guardian. Kids need to have some rights but parents need to be able to care for their kids.
What state is that. If they are under 18 and you are paying their healthcare, should be seeing and hearing everything it takes to be counted in on plans and decisions. Kids are idiots at best.

This can hurt any family regardless of their politics. There should be some privacy rights for children in certain circumstance but their should not be a law that excludes all parents under all conditions access to their kids health information without a signed ROI. For example parent should be able to apply for an exception based on the situation.

It's caused by the politics of the left, i.e. government knows better than you do.

Relax. The State knows what's best for you and your children

This is the law in my state.
What state is that? California?
Looks like Iowa but may be a few other's.

What state is that. If they are under 18 and you are paying their healthcare, should be seeing and hearing everything it takes to be counted in on plans and decisions. Kids are idiots at best.
That's the way it should be but that is not the law.

Washington State but most states have similar laws with differences in age and other limitations. Legislatures base the these laws on stories of parent demanding or forbidding abortion but it applies to investigating abuse relationships, parents forbidding children form having desperately needed medical care, and parents not acting in best interest of their kids. It solves one problem but creates a greater problem.

This can hurt any family regardless of their politics. There should be some privacy rights for children in certain circumstance but their should not be a law that excludes all parents under all conditions access to their kids health information without a signed ROI. For example parent should be able to apply for an exception based on the situation.

It's caused by the politics of the left, i.e. government knows better than you do.
There should be laws that protect children, particular since HIPAA does no apply to minors. However, this law goes too far. It is far to general and does not take into account parent's need for healthcare information for kids they care for

There should be laws that protect children, particular since HIPAA does no apply to minors. However, this law goes too far. It is far to general and does not take into account parent's need for healthcare information for kids they care for

The problem with the progressive State is that there is never a line set they won't cross. Either power flows from the collective, and is distributed to the people as the collective sees fit, or power flows from the individual, and the collective is limited to how much power they can extract from the individual. The progressive philosophy is what drives things like this.

Add in a bureaucratic system that removes accountability further and further from the elected representatives, and thus the people who elected them, and this is what you get. creeping power, always encroaching on our freedoms.

I'm sorry you got what you've been voting for good and hard, but maybe it's a wakeup call for you.

A government that takes sides in a dispute over a wedding cake that doesn't involve systemic discrimination should be expected to be this intrusive in other things like child welfare. If they think their morality takes precedence over yours in something like that, why are you surprised they think their ideas on how your kids should be raised should override your ideas?

Washington State but most states have similar laws with differences in age and other limitations. Legislatures base the these laws on stories of parent demanding or forbidding abortion but it applies to investigating abuse relationships, parents forbidding children form having desperately needed medical care, and parents not acting in best interest of their kids. It solves one problem but creates a greater problem.
The solved problem is bigger than you think. I am sorry for what your family has went through, kind of a been there done that thing. I see the trade off here fair. Child is older than the state specified rate, get a signed release. Most children would sign quite willingly, they know who controls the purse strings. And if they won't, well there you go.

The problem with the progressive State is that there is never a line set they won't cross. Either power flows from the collective, and is distributed to the people as the collective sees fit, or power flows from the individual, and the collective is limited to how much power they can extract from the individual. The progressive philosophy is what drives things like this.

Add in a bureaucratic system that removes accountability further and further from the elected representatives, and thus the people who elected them, and this is what you get. creeping power, always encroaching on our freedoms.

I'm sorry you got what you've been voting for good and hard, but maybe it's a wakeup call for you.

A government that takes sides in a dispute over a wedding cake that doesn't involve systemic discrimination should be expected to be this intrusive in other things like child welfare. If they think their morality takes precedence over yours in something like that, why are you surprised they think their ideas on how your kids should be raised should override your ideas?
There is legislation form the Right and Left that go to far. This is one of them.

There is legislation form the Right and Left that go to far. This is one of them.

Most legislation from the right these days is purely trying to protect individual rights. The only real outlier is abortion, and to the pro life people, they simply can't see a fetus as a lump of tissue instead of a human being.

The left's entire worldview is based on the whole knowing more than the parts, and they control the whole.

The solved problem is bigger than you think. I am sorry for what your family has went through, kind of a been there done that thing. I see the trade off here fair. Child is older than the state specified rate, get a signed release. Most children would sign quite willingly, they know who controls the purse strings. And if they won't, well there you go.
Not if they are mentally ill or have a social unacceptable disease. Some kids will refuse to sign an ROI just because their parents want them to. Teenagers are notorious for stupid, illogical behavior. How many times have we herd,
"I know this stuff. I don't need to study."
"I can study better watching TV."
"I can't go to prom if he doesn't ask me."
"I'm not learning anything in school so I want to quit."
"I want to spend my college money on a car and take a road trip."
"Instead of going to college, I want to move to Europe and become a tour guide.

Last edited:

Not if they are mentally ill or have a social unacceptable disease. Some kids will refuse to sign an ROI just because their parents want them to. Teenagers are notorious for stupid, illogical behavior. How many times have we herd,
I raised six kids. I have pretty much seen, and heard, it all. Gen Y, Gen Z--I got three of each. Going to stick to my guns, if the kid refuses to sign the release, well his health problems are the least of your worries.

I raised six kids. I have pretty much seen, and heard, it all. Gen Y, Gen Z--I got three of each. Going to stick to my guns, if the kid refuses to sign the release, well his health problems are the least of your worries.
Have you had one that is seriously mentally ill. If you haven't, that is a blessing that you should be thankful. It the kid has schizophrenia he or she is going to listen to voices in his head and those voices rarely agree with what the parent wants. Most people have no fucking idea what parents face with mentally ill kids when dealing with the healthcare professionals they depend on to help their kids. It is not unusual that the kid will claim to have been raped, abused by their parents and teachers, claim to be pregnant even thou it is not possible, threaten to kill nurses, girl friends, walk in circles for hours talking to his imaginary friends and if he or she has a phone, he is likely to call anyone anytime of the day or night and babble for hours. Kids like this rarely agree to practice any hygiene, never bother to bath, brush their teeth, or use a toilet. The patient is about as likely to sign an ROI as to fly off to Netherland. Imagine for a second what it might be like to care for such a person in your home if you have other kids with little help from healthcare professionals.

Even in states that don't forbid the sharing of medical information of older children, healthcare professionals are very hesitant about discussing healthcare information with anyone without the consent of the patient.

Last edited:
His parents were notified because the ER needed insurance information.
I would have told the hospital to send all the bills to the state since they drove the entire situation. The hospital then could chose to bill the state or release the patient.

until they got a court order declaring the parent as legal guardian.
The parent already IS the legal guardian until the kid reaches 18. But nice to finally see some progressive-liberal bullcrap come back to bite another liberal-progressive in the ass.
Being a legal guardian is irrelevant when confronted with privacy laws to protect the child. It might surprise you to know that laws similar to this exist in Texas, Georgia, and Florida, not just solid blue states. A strong case can be made for protecting pregnant teens, young people seeking contraceptives, help with drug addictions, and young people with SID but those same laws often apply to teens that are facing life threating diseases and those with serious mental problems. I'm not saying there should no laws regarding teen healthcare privacy, only that there should be exceptions.

New Topics

Forum List

Back