So you thought you had the right to see your kids healthcare information?

Not one mention in the article which branch of the military this fellow served in.

Call it a death sentence if you will, but that is not the right function of medicine.

Burn some trash, it might make your eyes smart, but a guy doesn't need to be "served" with a diagnosis of terminal illness and a prognosis of death, and then poisoned to death by toxic "chemotherapy."

That's too much haircut even for the military.

Not one mention in the article which branch of the military this fellow served in.

Call it a death sentence if you will, but that is not the right function of medicine.

Burn some trash, it might make your eyes smart, but a guy doesn't need to be "served" with a diagnosis of terminal illness and a prognosis of death, and then poisoned to death by toxic "chemotherapy."

That's too much haircut even for the military.
The article said the Vermont National Guard. He is probably US Army retired.

Being a legal guardian is irrelevant when confronted with privacy laws to protect the child
Kiddo, if you're of age or you think you'll reach 18 before you get caught, get the fuck out of that house and off that property, move to a different state and don't ever look back.

Parents will no longer have access to Protected Health Information (PHI) belonging to children 13 and older, in accordance with state privacy laws. The result is that upon turning 13, your child will have sole access to test results, chart notes, and all discussions with medical personnel in the practice or during a hospital stay. The current access to the child's healthcare information ended April 5th. This in addition to other laws protecting healthcare privacy. This is the law in my state. Your state may be a bit different. The age may be 16 or in a few states 18 in others, but there is a law in all but a few states.

There is no better way to describe this than bull shit. Parents and other caregivers have to have access to children's health information in order to care for the child. Suppose your child has sever headaches and the doctor orders a CT Scan and it is determined that he has brain tumor. The doctor or nurse ask the child if he wants this disclosed to his parents and he says I don't want anybody to know. It is not uncommon for kids to want to hide their health condition.

I am writing this because my family has become a victim of this horrible law. My grandson was diagnosed with Schizophrenia when he was 16 years old. He was picked up by police walking out in front of traffic and taken to the ER because he was having hallucinations. His parents were notified because the ER needed insurance information. To make a long short, he was involuntary committed and released 2 weeks later with release instructions and prescriptions which he disposed in the nearest trash can. Thus began 3 years of pure hell for the family trying to care for a severely schizophrenic child with no help or coordination with healthcare professionals until they got a court order declaring him mentally incompetent and appointing the parent as legal guardian. Kids need to have some rights but parents need to be able to care for their kids.
What state is that. If they are under 18 and you are paying their healthcare, should be seeing and hearing everything it takes to be counted in on plans and decisions. Kids are idiots at best.
This particular legislation is in Washington State and the age is 13 or older, but similar laws exist in a number states. The state law allow the child to request certain medical procedure without parent consent; that is the child is the decision maker, not the parent. HIPPA language does not allow healthcare providers to release information to parties that are not decision makers without the patient's consent. The law lists the follows medical procedure in which child, not parent can make the medical decisions, SDI testing, Birth Control Services, Abortion Services, Out Patient Mental Health Treatment, Inpatient Mental Health Treatment, In Patient Substance Abuse, etc.. The alternative is for the parent to ask the court to declare the child mental incompetent and no parent wants to do that. Being declared mentally incompetent by the court can cause a lot of problems in year to come, such as getting a drivers license, buying a gun, getting married, serving in the military, leasing or selling property. In fact mental incompetency is legal grounds to revoked any legal contract.

Another major problem is the fear healthcare providers have of being sued for violating patient confidentiality. If in doubt, the provider will insist on a signed release by the child. Try getting an ROI signed by 16 year old kid who is psychotic.

The alternative is for the parent to ask the court to declare the child mental incompetent and no parent wants to do that
All I want to know is what the hell a so-called parent is trying to do to an adult child in that case, and what kind of felony criminal charges can be filed against a parent for that.

Being a legal guardian is irrelevant when confronted with privacy laws to protect the child
Kiddo, if you're of age or you think you'll reach 18 before you get caught, get the fuck out of that house and off that property, move to a different state and don't ever look back.

dentiality. If in doubt, the provider will insist on a signed release by the child. Try getting an R

The alternative is for the parent to ask the court to declare the child mental incompetent and no parent wants to do that
All I want to know is what the hell a so-called parent is trying to do to an adult child in that case, and what kind of felony criminal charges can be filed against a parent for that.
I am specifically talking about seriously mentally ill kids that are psychotic in and out psych wards. They can not make rational decisions about their healthcare or much of anything else. They walk out in front of traffic as they talk to the voices in their head, don't practice personal hygiene, can not hold any idea in their head, and don't remember what they say and do. They drop their discharge instructions, prescriptions, and appointments in the street as they leave the hospital and if someone is not leading them they get lost.. Parents that are the caregivers are hampered by the law in trying to care for them.

Some of these kids will respond to medication and some of the symptoms will just go away as they get older. Unfortunately, a lot of them will go from home to ER to hospital, over and over, until finally they end up in a group home. And when the money runs they find themselves on the streets. My 16 year old grandson and his family went through this for 8 years. One day he just disappeared and hasn't been seen in nearly 7 years.

Last edited:
Parents will no longer have access to Protected Health Information (PHI) belonging to children 13 and older, in accordance with state privacy laws. The result is that upon turning 13, your child will have sole access to test results, chart notes, and all discussions with medical personnel in the practice or during a hospital stay. The current access to the child's healthcare information ended April 5th. This in addition to other laws protecting healthcare privacy. This is the law in my state. Your state may be a bit different. The age may be 16 or in a few states 18 in others, but there is a law in all but a few states.

There is no better way to describe this than bull shit. Parents and other caregivers have to have access to children's health information in order to care for the child. Suppose your child has sever headaches and the doctor orders a CT Scan and it is determined that he has brain tumor. The doctor or nurse ask the child if he wants this disclosed to his parents and he says I don't want anybody to know. It is not uncommon for kids to want to hide their health condition.

I am writing this because my family has become a victim of this horrible law. My grandson was diagnosed with Schizophrenia when he was 16 years old. He was picked up by police walking out in front of traffic and taken to the ER because he was having hallucinations. His parents were notified because the ER needed insurance information. To make a long short, he was involuntary committed and released 2 weeks later with release instructions and prescriptions which he disposed in the nearest trash can. Thus began 3 years of pure hell for the family trying to care for a severely schizophrenic child with no help or coordination with healthcare professionals until they got a court order declaring him mentally incompetent and appointing the parent as legal guardian. Kids need to have some rights but parents need to be able to care for their kids.
What state is that. If they are under 18 and you are paying their healthcare, should be seeing and hearing everything it takes to be counted in on plans and decisions. Kids are idiots at best.
This particular legislation is in Washington State and the age is 13 or older, but similar laws exist in a number states. The state law allow the child to request certain medical procedure without parent consent; that is the child is the decision maker, not the parent. HIPPA language does not allow healthcare providers to release information to parties that are not decision makers without the patient's consent. The law lists the follows medical procedure in which child, not parent can make the medical decisions, SDI testing, Birth Control Services, Abortion Services, Out Patient Mental Health Treatment, Inpatient Mental Health Treatment, In Patient Substance Abuse, etc.. The alternative is for the parent to ask the court to declare the child mental incompetent and no parent wants to do that. Being declared mentally incompetent by the court can cause a lot of problems in year to come, such as getting a drivers license, buying a gun, getting married, serving in the military, leasing or selling property. In fact mental incompetency is legal grounds to revoked any legal contract.

Another major problem is the fear healthcare providers have of being sued for violating patient confidentiality. If in doubt, the provider will insist on a signed release by the child. Try getting an ROI signed by 16 year old kid who is psychotic.
That last paragraph is the crux of the biscuit. If your kid is mentally incompetent, a parent should see that it is addressed.
I would just as soon, mentally incompetent people did not have driver's license, buy guns, serve in the military, not to sure they should marry and reproduce, to tell you the truth. I have no problem with them buy or selling property. Lots of really rich are really nuts. Look at trump.

That last paragraph is the crux of the biscuit. If your kid is mentally incompetent, a parent should see that it is addressed.
I would just as soon, mentally incompetent people did not have driver's license, buy guns, serve in the military, not to sure they should marry and reproduce, to tell you the truth. I have no problem with them buy or selling property. Lots of really rich are really nuts. Look at trump.
And that is why parents do not want go to go to court with their child as the defend seeking to declare him as mentally incompetent simply to be able to care for him. A court order declaring a person mentally incompetent is public record that stays with him all of his life even if he recovers.

And that is why parents do not want go to go to court with their child as the defend seeking to declare him as mentally incompetent simply to be able to care for him. A court order declaring a person mentally incompetent is public record that stays with him all of his life even if he recovers.
Good parenting, is a daily series of hard choices. Putting off hard choices is quite often a bad thing in the long term. These are choices, many were never and are never up to making, any more than they were up to, any more than they were up to the other responsibilities (not considered) when they started having children.

Good parenting, is a daily series of hard choices. Putting off hard choices is quite often a bad thing in the long term. These are choices, many were never and are never up to making, any more than they were up to, any more than they were up to the other responsibilities (not considered) when they started having children.
No parent should be told to get the healthcare information and help they need to care for their child, they have to ask the courts to declare him mentally incompetent.

It takes a village to raise a child.
Parents were never mentioned in the equation.
Get used to it. It's going to get worse before it gets better.

No parent should be told to get the healthcare information and help they need to care for their child, they have to ask the courts to declare him mentally incompetent.
True. It is also true, some people do not have the insurance or financial resources to get loved ones the help and care they need. The system is screwed up, at best. They are not being told to. Sometimes it would be better for them if they were, but that is a hard call to make.

True. It is also true, some people do not have the insurance or financial resources to get loved ones the help and care they need. The system is screwed up, at best. They are not being told to. Sometimes it would be better for them if they were, but that is a hard call to make.
I figure in about 500 years from now, medical science will have good effective treatments for the seriously mentally ill. The major advances in treating the mentally over the last 500 years has been to stop burning them at stake as witches.

I 've come to the conclusion that the public's knowledge of the treatment of the mentally ill comes primarily from Stephen King novels, and old movies. Today, private or public psychiatric hospitals hardly even exist. Psychiatric care and treatment are now delivered through crisis services, short-term and general-hospital-based acute psychiatric care units. It doesn't make much difference if you are a private pay patient, have the best insurance, or Medicaid the treatment is same, a trial and error process of giving the patient anti-psychotic drugs to see what happens and then out the door with a handful of prescription drugs the patient will never take. A few weeks with friends, family, or on the street and then a trip to an ER and back to a psych word repeated over and over.

Forum List

Back