Solar Energy

Pythagoras

Dec 24, 2020
Samos, Greece
Due to the advances in batteries/power cells/ gen. energy storage solar power has become more efficient. There is already an Island fully operating on solar power. Does Solar energy show promise in keeping cities operational? What other useful applications can solar power bring to the table? Is it cost-effective? Many companies have their own ideas like solar-powered planes and cars. Does solar transportation seem like a good idea?

LUNA RING, Solar Power Generation on the Moon | Topics | Shimizu Corporation (shimz.co.jp)

Is this idea too outrageous? Would something like this be beneficial in the long run? Would you ever support something like this? Are there any other theories you have seen or came up with that utilize solar energy?

1610765077724.png

I've been mostly off grid for 15 years. Adding what my bills WOULD have been I still haven't broken even and some of the shit is ready to be replaced. My most efficient pieces are a hydro in the river and a small windmill. The panels and batteries...not so much.My shop is gridded.That shit won't run machinery properly.Even the clothes dryer is a push. I know a guy who recently built completely off grid and his original investment was 60 grand or so. That's a lot of electric bills. He'll break even in 20 years.LOL.... It's more greeny weenie principle than anything else.
Great for a lil cabin or a Gore sized yatchet.

I've been mostly off grid for 15 years. Adding what my bills WOULD have been I still haven't broken even and some of the shit is ready to be replaced. My most efficient pieces are a hydro in the river and a small windmill. The panels and batteries...not so much.My shop is gridded.That shit won't run machinery properly.Even the clothes dryer is a push. I know a guy who recently built completely off grid and his original investment was 60 grand or so. That's a lot of electric bills. He'll break even in 20 years.LOL.... It's more greeny weenie principle than anything else.
Great for a lil cabin or a Gore sized yatchet.
Do you like being off-grid?

Sorry, but the Tesla generating station is far from powering the entire island. .. :cool:
That's completely dependent on the size of the island and it's power needs.

If you have a football field of solar panels and a storage battery for a single house on a island... Well...

Yea, solar can power houses. It cannot power entire urban cities of millions of people, or whole states. It has no ability to ramp up, and doesn’t produce anything if it’s not sunny.
What about the ideas of storage after it cannot produce any more for the evening?

Tesla runs an entire island on solar power | Engadget I had the wrong Island they're developing that one
I looked up the island of Ta'u (in American Samoa).
The entire island only has a population of 600 people.
Although it's true the island uses only solar power.
The weather is year around perfect and sunny.
So the residents need for electrical power is very minimal.
The cost to solar power the island was 8 million dollars.
All paid for by the American taxpayer. ... :cool:

Last edited:
Tesla runs an entire island on solar power | Engadget I had the wrong Island they're developing that one
I looked up the island of Ta'u (in American Samoa).
The entire island only has a population of 600 people.
Although it's true the island uses only solar power.
The weather is year around perfect and sunny.
So the residents need for electrical power is very minimal.
The cost to solar power the island was 8 million dollars.
All paid for by the American taxpayer. ... :cool:
Yes and I am asking what you think about that. Do you think it could be larger than that?

Forum List

Back