Students Told to Stop ‘USA!’ Chant, Take Off American Flag Bandanas

The chant was used to imply they weren't americans. That's what they and apparently plently of people who attended the game, saw it as.

Once again I REPEAT, if the "Hispanics" considered themselves Americans why would a chant of USA bother them in ANY case? Further you are stating as the press has it was an opinion not a fact. It is simple, if the "Hispanics" in question actually believed they were Americans they would not be bothered by someone chanting USA. Pretty simple concept, even a 5 year old can grasp it.

Doesn't make a hill of beans of difference. The students are sub-adults attending an extracurricular event. The students don't have adult rights.

If school officials determined their students were disruptive and needed discipline then the students did.

Students don't have adult rights.

BTW..you guys missed the strawberry sign referenced in my link.

Regards from Rosie

Ohh it matters. It is after all the EXCUSE given for punishing them and for continuing to look for ways to punish them. It sends a clear signal, if you are patriotic you are a problem.

Ok, explain to me, if they view themselves as Americans, why the chant would bother them? I mean really if you view yourself as an American and not say a Mexican, how does chanting USA bother you?

I would advice the school to tell those complaining to check out what COUNTRY they live in.

The chant was used to imply they weren't americans. That's what they and apparently plently of people who attended the game, saw it as.

Once again I REPEAT, if the "Hispanics" considered themselves Americans why would a chant of USA bother them in ANY case? Further you are stating as the press has it was an opinion not a fact. It is simple, if the "Hispanics" in question actually believed they were Americans they would not be bothered by someone chanting USA. Pretty simple concept, even a 5 year old can grasp it.
Because it isn't the Hispanic's interpretation in question here.

It was the intent of the other students which is being questioned.

Since when to chant USA! USA! is a bad word?

Doesn't make a hill of beans of difference. The students are sub-adults attending an extracurricular event. The students don't have adult rights.

If school officials determined their students were disruptive and needed discipline then the students did.

Regards from Rosie

I read that.

It sounds like a school rivalry that has gotten seriously out of hand. Seems like its time for both schools to step in and put a stop to it.

My h/s had a serious rivalry with a neighboring school, which seemed great until it went too far one year and someone from my school egged their building, and someone from there's spray painted the side of ours. *shrug* it happens. You just need to step in and be the adults and explain why it's not ok.

So no one complained and claimed racism? That is a bald faced misinformation. The story is clear. The "Hispanics" in attendance decided that shouts of USA were racist. IF they saw them selves as Americans why wold they feel that way?

Regards from Rosie

Ohh it matters. It is after all the EXCUSE given for punishing them and for continuing to look for ways to punish them. It sends a clear signal, if you are patriotic you are a problem.

You missed the strawberry sign on their side of the gymnasium.

Shoot - I'd give them 5 day suspensions just for the black eye they gave to the school on social media.

That is all the EXCUSE needed.

Regards from Rosie

To me this speaks to their issue, Camarillo High School principal Glenn Lipman said. “If we’re doing it for patriotism, that’s fine. But if we’re doing it for something else that’s racially motivated, I’m not going to allow that.” If there is a history where this was done in an effort top incite then ceasing this chant was appropriate.

Students Suspended for Chanting "USA!" and Wearing American Flag Bandanas During Basketball Game (Video)

Further, Freedom of Speech has limitations under certain conditions, perhaps this would fit depending on the why the chant was commenced. "In Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire (1942), the Supreme Court held that speech is unprotected if it constitutes "fighting words". Fighting words, as defined by the Court, is speech that "tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace" by provoking a fight, so long as it is a "personally abusive [word] which... is, as a matter of common knowledge, inherently likely to provoke a violent reaction"

So now the word USA provokes a violent reaction in some ???

Who knew

Who knew

There is a history of using that chant regarding race. This is not an isolated instance, "a Texas high school apologized for some of its students chanting "USA! USA!" after its basketball team beat a rival school in a state playoff game in San Antonio, Texas on Saturday.

Some saw it as a racist insult since the players from the victorious Alamo Heights High School team are mostly white while those from Edison High roster are predominantly Hispanic, according to MSNBC.com."

Texas HS apologizes for students chanting 'USA!'

I am not supporting this action, just discussing it. I grew up in NYC where people were micks, spics, wops etc etc if a person could not take it, they simply could never survive the neighborhood.

So no one complained and claimed racism? That is a bald faced misinformation. The story is clear. The "Hispanics" in attendance decided that shouts of USA were racist. IF they saw them selves as Americans why wold they feel that way?
Because, again, this isn't a question as to whether the Hispanics consider themselves Americans.

This is a question about the other students implying they are not Americans.

And I don't think we always have to wait until somebody complains before taking precautionary steps.

Regards from Rosie

I read that.

It sounds like a school rivalry that has gotten seriously out of hand. Seems like its time for both schools to step in and put a stop to it.

My h/s had a serious rivalry with a neighboring school, which seemed great until it went too far one year and someone from my school egged their building, and someone from there's spray painted the side of ours. *shrug* it happens. You just need to step in and be the adults and explain why it's not ok.

Indubitably, Amy. Making it "blow up" on FB and Twitter is seriously uncool, too. If adults do it, they have the right. Students do not.

Regards from Rosie

Who knew

There is a history of using that chant regarding race. This is not an isolated instance, "a Texas high school apologized for some of its students chanting "USA! USA!" after its basketball team beat a rival school in a state playoff game in San Antonio, Texas on Saturday.

Some saw it as a racist insult since the players from the victorious Alamo Heights High School team are mostly white while those from Edison High roster are predominantly Hispanic, according to MSNBC.com."

I am not supporting this action, just discussing it. I grew up in NYC where people were micks, spics, wops etc etc if a person could not take it, they simply could never survive the neighborhood.

All I can say about this and PC in general is that "Political Correctness" is turning Americans into a bunch of hyper-sensitive pussies!

A total DISGRACE!

Who knew

All I can say about this and PC in general is that "Political Correctness" is turning Americans into a bunch of hyper-sensitive pussies!

A total DISGRACE!

If it is PC then of course it is BS. I still have yet to wrap my head around this nonsense.

At least the hispanics didn't respond my chanting 'mexico! mexico!' That would be call for deportation.

look, kids are mean and intentionally manipulative. the whites new this would trigger a reaction and got their way. copykats is what they are.

do i agree? hate disguised as patriotism is a scary weapon to yield and when children engage it is deadly. good to stop their silliness.

Happened last year in Texas: Texas HS apologizes for students chanting 'USA!'

ETA: sorry connery beat me to it

Last edited:
Yeah, because being Hispanic means someone can't also be American :rolleyes:

Ok, explain to me, if they view themselves as Americans, why the chant would bother them? I mean really if you view yourself as an American and not say a Mexican, how does chanting USA bother you?

I would advice the school to tell those complaining to check out what COUNTRY they live in.
La Cucaracha!

La Cookoo Raza!

La da dadadada-da! :D

we're kicking honor students out of school for bying their hair auburn, suspending girls for wearing uggs, suspending kids for make believe grenades and pointing their fingers like a gun. booting kids for having hair a little too long or dressing a little differently. what kind of lesson are we teaching these kids?

we talk about engouraging creativity, individuality and expressing themselves, and then we chastise them for it.

"Political correctness" has castrated America.... I thought that PC craziness couldn't continue like that.

And I was right.... it didn't ...it got worse!

Sad state of affairs!

we're kicking honor students out of school for bying their hair auburn, suspending girls for wearing uggs, suspending kids for make believe grenades and pointing their fingers like a gun. booting kids for having hair a little too long or dressing a little differently. what kind of lesson are we teaching these kids?

we talk about engouraging creativity, individuality and expressing themselves, and then we chastise them for it.

Creativity, individuality and expressing oneself is for college campuses. You may get pepper sprayed for it, but you do win the lawsuit.

Regards from Rosie

I finally wrapped my head around this. The offended parties should take off the bib, put on their big boy pants and stop asking governmental officials to wipe their butts every time their feelings are hurt.

This issue is plain stupid, infantile and undermines the normal maturation process.

Forum List

Back