Students Told to Stop ‘USA!’ Chant, Take Off American Flag Bandanas

"Political correctness" has castrated America.... I thought that PC craziness couldn't continue like that.

And I was right.... it didn't ...it got worse!

Sad state of affairs!

I want to bold this for emphasis.

I finally wrapped my head around this. The offended parties should take off the bib, put on their big boy pants and stop asking governmental officials to wipe their butts every time their feelings are hurt.

This issue is plain stupid, infantile and undermines the normal maturation process.

That isn't what happened. The host school determined to police their own, as well they should.

Besides, it is a great life lesson. In the kids' lifetime, Hispanics will be the USA majority. That is a far-sighted principal!

Regards from Rosie

Once again I REPEAT, if the "Hispanics" considered themselves Americans why would a chant of USA bother them in ANY case? Further you are stating as the press has it was an opinion not a fact. It is simple, if the "Hispanics" in question actually believed they were Americans they would not be bothered by someone chanting USA. Pretty simple concept, even a 5 year old can grasp it.

Doesn't make a hill of beans of difference. The students are sub-adults attending an extracurricular event. The students don't have adult rights.

If school officials determined their students were disruptive and needed discipline then the students did.

Students don't have adult rights.

BTW..you guys missed the strawberry sign referenced in my link.

Regards from Rosie

Ohh it matters. It is after all the EXCUSE given for punishing them and for continuing to look for ways to punish them. It sends a clear signal, if you are patriotic you are a problem.

That is the message being sent. Do not show patriotism or else you will be punished.
Never fear, soon they plan on abolishing that pesky Constitution and then such subversives as those students can be sent to the camps for re-education.
Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?

I finally wrapped my head around this. The offended parties should take off the bib, put on their big boy pants and stop asking governmental officials to wipe their butts every time their feelings are hurt.

This issue is plain stupid, infantile and undermines the normal maturation process.

That isn't what happened. The host school determined to police their own, as well they should.

Besides, it is a great life lesson. In the kids' lifetime, Hispanics will be the USA majority. That is a far-sighted principal!

Regards from Rosie

The life lesson should have been to deal with life on life's terms. Poor taste and disagreeable remarks are mere appetizers in life's diet of hard lessons and teaching the ability to develop inner strength and endure should have been taught.

Incidentally, the host school employees are government officials.

Last edited:

Regards from Rosie

The life lesson should have been to deal with life on life's terms. Poor taste and disagreeable remarks are mere appetizers in life's diet of hard lessons and teaching the ability to develop inner strength and endure should have been taught.

So kids need to learn to suck it up and accept this kind of taunting as a way of life? It'll make men out of them? Maybe 50 years ago but that doesn't fly anymore these days.

If all the four über-patriotic kids were interested in was a little team spirit, they would have been chanting the name of their high school. If the opposing team was from out of the country, chanting USA would have made perfect sense. Everyone playing the game were Americans. So what was the kids point in chanting USA? It's fairly obvious the kids had an agenda.

Regards from Rosie

So kids need to learn to suck it up and accept this kind of taunting as a way of life? It'll make men out of them? Maybe 50 years ago but that doesn't fly anymore these days.

If all the four über-patriotic kids were interested in was a little team spirit, they would have been chanting the name of their high school. If the opposing team was from out of the country, chanting USA would have made perfect sense. Everyone playing the game were Americans. So what was the kids point in chanting USA? It's fairly obvious the kids had an agenda.

That is your interpretation.

Mine is that no matter who or what there will always be some group, faction or individual who will want to see you fail. The building blocks for a positive and effective attitude start young. Being rescued does not teaches skills or provide tools to deal with life in a meaningful manner being taught various techniques of how to adequately process this type of behavior will serve a person for life.

Mine is that no matter who or what there will always be some group, faction or individual who will want to see you fail. The building blocks for a positive and effective attitude start young. Being rescued does not teaches skills or provide tools to deal with life in a meaningful manner being taught various techniques of how to adequately process this type of behavior will serve a person for life.

And the host students needed to be taught that taunting and disruption based on ethnicity IS un-American and will be dealt with swiftly.

My lesson is tons more important than yours

Regards from Rosie

And the host students needed to be taught that taunting and disruption based on ethnicity IS un-American and will be dealt with swiftly.

Regards from Rosie

To you it is. Of course the host students have to be taught incendiary language will be curtailed. This does not eclipse the very basic elements for survival in the real world: "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never harm me." The kind of stuff we all learn early on in life.

Regards from Rosie

To you it is. Of course the host students have to be taught incendiary language will be curtailed. This does not eclipse the very basic elements for survival in the real world: "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never harm me." The kind of stuff we all learn early on in life.

More than just to me, sir. Schools can now be sued for not imposing anti-bully policies and procedures. Attacking others across the gym with chants and signs is bullying.

Students have been bullied to death. Students often have a mob mentality when bullying.

Bullies MUST be dealt with decisively and firmly. Students who won't stop bullying can be subject to juvenile court action and placement in alternative schools.

The words can never hurt me - just suck it up days are forever over.

Mine is WAY more important than yours, sir.

Regards from Rosie

Last edited:
So now the word USA provokes a violent reaction in some ???

Who knew

There is a history of using that chant regarding race. This is not an isolated instance, "a Texas high school apologized for some of its students chanting "USA! USA!" after its basketball team beat a rival school in a state playoff game in San Antonio, Texas on Saturday.

Some saw it as a racist insult since the players from the victorious Alamo Heights High School team are mostly white while those from Edison High roster are predominantly Hispanic, according to MSNBC.com."

Texas HS apologizes for students chanting 'USA!'

I am not supporting this action, just discussing it. I grew up in NYC where people were micks, spics, wops etc etc if a person could not take it, they simply could never survive the neighborhood.

All I can say about this and PC in general is that "Political Correctness" is turning Americans into a bunch of hyper-sensitive pussies!

A total DISGRACE!

It seem to me that the hyper-sensitivity in this thread is over there on the right.

Would you feel the same if the visiting team had been mostly black and the students were chanting, "******, ******, ******?"

Why, or why not?

Four California high-school students were reportedly suspended for chanting “U.S.A! U.S.A!” and wearing American flag bandanas during a basketball game. While their punishment has since been rescinded, school administrators said “the incident is far from over.”

Oxnard Union School District superintendent Gabe Soumakian told Fox News Radio that “we need to pursue this further” and “work with teachers and students and the community about the concept of cultural proficiency.” Soumakian and Camarillo High School principal Glenn Lipman felt that the students’ actions might have had racist undertones since the schools have large Hispanic student populations.

Continued : Students Told to Stop ?USA!? Chant, Take Off American Flag Bandanas - By Andrew Johnson - The Corner - National Review Online

Comment: So Hispanics aren't Americans and are insulted by cheers for their country?
OR
Being happy about being an American of the US...means your a racist?

Double speak?

I think we are too deep in PC BS, which was designed to break national ties...and more...
It is Calf , what do you expect. Just hand that state over to Mexico. it is a wasted state anyway

Would you feel the same if the visiting team had been mostly black and the students were chanting, "******, ******, ******?"

Why, or why not?

The word is clearly a racial epithet. From my previous post, "Camarillo High School principal Glenn Lipman said. “If we’re doing it for patriotism, that’s fine. But if we’re doing it for something else that’s racially motivated, I’m not going to allow that.” If there is a history where this was done in an effort top incite then ceasing this chant was appropriate."

The use of a word that is racially disparaging and by it's very nature is meant to incite, belittle or create a hateful atmosphere should not be used as term the term which you used as your example. There is no other meaning that can be attached than what history has shown us in your example.

There is a history of using that chant regarding race. This is not an isolated instance, "a Texas high school apologized for some of its students chanting "USA! USA!" after its basketball team beat a rival school in a state playoff game in San Antonio, Texas on Saturday.

Some saw it as a racist insult since the players from the victorious Alamo Heights High School team are mostly white while those from Edison High roster are predominantly Hispanic, according to MSNBC.com."

Texas HS apologizes for students chanting 'USA!'

I am not supporting this action, just discussing it. I grew up in NYC where people were micks, spics, wops etc etc if a person could not take it, they simply could never survive the neighborhood.

All I can say about this and PC in general is that "Political Correctness" is turning Americans into a bunch of hyper-sensitive pussies!

A total DISGRACE!

If it is PC then of course it is BS. I still have yet to wrap my head around this nonsense.
The NEA has appointed itself First Amendment Monitora to suppress the kids' yelling "USA!" as a political support to unity in the nation!!! Down with the kids!!! Up with the pay!!! Up with the Union!!! Down with the parents!!! Up with the benefits and days off! Down with children attending school who dare to express a political opinion that hacks off university professors in the polisci know-it-all dept!!! Kick out the military!!! Make love not war!!! Nothing's good enough to die for!!! Just kiss everybody's ass and shut up!!!

/sardonic schtick

And that's what they learned from the sKKKhool. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

A total DISGRACE!

If it is PC then of course it is BS. I still have yet to wrap my head around this nonsense.
The NEA has appointed itself First Amendment Monitora to suppress the kids' yelling "USA!" as a political support to unity in the nation!!! Down with the kids!!! Up with the pay!!! Up with the Union!!! Down with the parents!!! Up with the benefits and days off! Down with children attending school who dare to express a political opinion that hacks off university professors in the polisci know-it-all dept!!! Kick out the military!!! Make love not war!!! Nothing's good enough to die for!!! Just kiss everybody's ass and shut up!!!

/sardonic schtick

And that's what they learned from the sKKKhool. :rolleyes:

Mollycoddling society erodes morale, compromises character building within that society and encourages a "can't do" attitude.

We are not going to be allowed to be proud of the country as long as we have a President who feels
we are not a country to be proud of.

Do not blame the President for being a realist. There is a lot about America that needs to be straightened out.

Four California high-school students were reportedly suspended for chanting “U.S.A! U.S.A!” and wearing American flag bandanas during a basketball game. While their punishment has since been rescinded, school administrators said “the incident is far from over.”

Oxnard Union School District superintendent Gabe Soumakian told Fox News Radio that “we need to pursue this further” and “work with teachers and students and the community about the concept of cultural proficiency.” Soumakian and Camarillo High School principal Glenn Lipman felt that the students’ actions might have had racist undertones since the schools have large Hispanic student populations.

Continued : Students Told to Stop ?USA!? Chant, Take Off American Flag Bandanas - By Andrew Johnson - The Corner - National Review Online

Comment: So Hispanics aren't Americans and are insulted by cheers for their country?
OR
Being happy about being an American of the US...means your a racist?

Double speak?

I think we are too deep in PC BS, which was designed to break national ties...and more...

If they were screaming it at Mexican/Americans to intimidate them, it could be construed as racist. One needs to know the whole story, and it sounds as if there might have been more behind their actions than patriotism, or actually, jingoism.

Last edited:
Ok, explain to me, if they view themselves as Americans, why the chant would bother them? I mean really if you view yourself as an American and not say a Mexican, how does chanting USA bother you?

I would advice the school to tell those complaining to check out what COUNTRY they live in.

The chant was used to imply they weren't americans. That's what they and apparently plently of people who attended the game, saw it as.

Once again I REPEAT, if the "Hispanics" considered themselves Americans why would a chant of USA bother them in ANY case? Further you are stating as the press has it was an opinion not a fact. It is simple, if the "Hispanics" in question actually believed they were Americans they would not be bothered by someone chanting USA. Pretty simple concept, even a 5 year old can grasp it.

If you are this thick, I do not know if it can be explained to you.

Forum List

Back