Students Told to Stop ‘USA!’ Chant, Take Off American Flag Bandanas

That is your interpretation.

Mine is that no matter who or what there will always be some group, faction or individual who will want to see you fail. The building blocks for a positive and effective attitude start young. Being rescued does not teaches skills or provide tools to deal with life in a meaningful manner being taught various techniques of how to adequately process this type of behavior will serve a person for life.

Would you feel the same if the visiting team had been mostly black and the students were chanting, "******, ******, ******?"

Why, or why not?

The word is clearly a racial epithet. From my previous post, "Camarillo High School principal Glenn Lipman said. “If we’re doing it for patriotism, that’s fine. But if we’re doing it for something else that’s racially motivated, I’m not going to allow that.” If there is a history where this was done in an effort top incite then ceasing this chant was appropriate."

The use of a word that is racially disparaging and by it's very nature is meant to incite, belittle or create a hateful atmosphere should not be used as term the term which you used as your example. There is no other meaning that can be attached than what history has shown us in your example.

The word I used is offensive to black people, right? So the use of it by white people is inciting and it shouldn't be done.

To Hispanic-American's, citizens of this country, chanting USA is offensive because it belittles their citizenship and implies that they're not fully real Americans.

I see no difference between the two things because the key is not whether it's offensive to you or me, but whether or not it's offensive to the target audience.

mexicans don't consider themselves Americans even if they have been born here. Unless is getting some benefit they are mexicans.

Bigot. If "Mexican's" are born here, they aren't Mexican's at all. They're AMERICAN'S.

Serving in the US military is displaying their loyalty to the US. In fact it's displaying it more than white folks who don't serve.

Thus this racist BS falls flat.

People serve in the military for all kinds of reasons, some of which have nothing to do with patriotism. If patriotism was required there would be no such thing as mercenaries would there? Take a look at the increased gang activity in the military.

Gang Activity in the U.S. Military

US military personnel have used their positions to smuggle drugs and weapons. They get training which they use to train the homies when they come back.

They might join the military for personal reasons. Hassan Nidal joined the military and became a Major. He got his education paid for.

Patriotism is last on the list of reasons to join the military.

OK, so people you don't like, who are serving in the military, do it for the 'wrong' reasons.

My, that's convenient.

You are assuming facts not in evidence. Facts like everyone who joins the military does so because they have some personal loyalty to the US and some patriotism. They don't. Many people join the military do so for personal reasons having nothing to do with patriotism.

What is this guy? Mexican, or American?

Attachments

• $BenavidezGreens.jpg
    $BenavidezGreens.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 20
People serve in the military for all kinds of reasons, some of which have nothing to do with patriotism. If patriotism was required there would be no such thing as mercenaries would there? Take a look at the increased gang activity in the military.

Gang Activity in the U.S. Military

US military personnel have used their positions to smuggle drugs and weapons. They get training which they use to train the homies when they come back.

They might join the military for personal reasons. Hassan Nidal joined the military and became a Major. He got his education paid for.

Patriotism is last on the list of reasons to join the military.

OK, so people you don't like, who are serving in the military, do it for the 'wrong' reasons.

My, that's convenient.

You are assuming facts not in evidence. Facts like everyone who joins the military does so because they have some personal loyalty to the US and some patriotism. They don't. Many people join the military do so for personal reasons having nothing to do with patriotism.

In my 20 years of military service, I've seen Soldiers join for every reason under the sun.

However, when you're deployed and under fire, the reasons you joined really don't matter. You're defending yourself and your buddies because it says US ARMY on your ACUs. And if you're down there fighting for the US, regardless of your racial or ethnic heritage, you're doing a lot more for this country than people sitting on the couch back at home, talking smack.

Four California high-school students were reportedly suspended for chanting “U.S.A! U.S.A!” and wearing American flag bandanas during a basketball game. While their punishment has since been rescinded, school administrators said “the incident is far from over.”

Oxnard Union School District superintendent Gabe Soumakian told Fox News Radio that “we need to pursue this further” and “work with teachers and students and the community about the concept of cultural proficiency.” Soumakian and Camarillo High School principal Glenn Lipman felt that the students’ actions might have had racist undertones since the schools have large Hispanic student populations.

Continued : Students Told to Stop ?USA!? Chant, Take Off American Flag Bandanas - By Andrew Johnson - The Corner - National Review Online

Comment: So Hispanics aren't Americans and are insulted by cheers for their country?
OR
Being happy about being an American of the US...means your a racist?

Double speak?

I think we are too deep in PC BS, which was designed to break national ties...and more...
i'll bet that if they were burning the US flag the left would defend there freedom of expression.

My, that's convenient.

In my 20 years of military service, I've seen Soldiers join for every reason under the sun.

However, when you're deployed and under fire, the reasons you joined really don't matter. You're defending yourself and your buddies because it says US ARMY on your ACUs. And if you're down there fighting for the US, regardless of your racial or ethnic heritage, you're doing a lot more for this country than people sitting on the couch back at home, talking smack.

:clap2:

Attachments

• $i-love-this-post-horse.jpg
    $i-love-this-post-horse.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 23
Four California high-school students were reportedly suspended for chanting “U.S.A! U.S.A!” and wearing American flag bandanas during a basketball game. While their punishment has since been rescinded, school administrators said “the incident is far from over.”

Oxnard Union School District superintendent Gabe Soumakian told Fox News Radio that “we need to pursue this further” and “work with teachers and students and the community about the concept of cultural proficiency.” Soumakian and Camarillo High School principal Glenn Lipman felt that the students’ actions might have had racist undertones since the schools have large Hispanic student populations.

Continued : Students Told to Stop ?USA!? Chant, Take Off American Flag Bandanas - By Andrew Johnson - The Corner - National Review Online

Comment: So Hispanics aren't Americans and are insulted by cheers for their country?
OR
Being happy about being an American of the US...means your a racist?

Double speak?

I think we are too deep in PC BS, which was designed to break national ties...and more...
i'll bet that if they were burning the US flag the left would defend there freedom of expression.

I've spent 20 years defending your right to spew your hateful nonsense, so I'd gladly defend their right to express their opinion as well.

mexicans don't consider themselves Americans even if they have been born here. Unless is getting some benefit they are mexicans.

Bigot. If "Mexican's" are born here, they aren't Mexican's at all. They're AMERICAN'S.

They are what they say they are. Any baby born here to mexican parents can be mexican citizens as soon as those parents go to a consulate or have a roving consulate van come to their home and give them a mexican birth certificate. When they are of voting age, they can get a voter ID card (required in mexico) and vote in mexican elections, if they have never been there.

It's more than that, it really is a state of mind. No matter how "American" mexicans want Americans to believe they are, they are still mexicans in their hearts and minds. Their loyalty is still to mexico, which is why we periodically have all these hurt feelings when mexicans are faced with Americans exhibiting their patriotism in America.

It doesn't really have to be a sports game. How about not showing proper respect for mexican holidays like Cinco De Mayo?

California Students Sent Home for Wearing U.S. Flags on Cinco de Mayo | Fox News

They are what they say they are. Any baby born here to mexican parents can be mexican citizens as soon as those parents go to a consulate or have a roving consulate van come to their home and give them a mexican birth certificate. When they are of voting age, they can get a voter ID card (required in mexico) and vote in mexican elections, if they have never been there.

It's more than that, it really is a state of mind. No matter how "American" mexicans want Americans to believe they are, they are still mexicans in their hearts and minds. Their loyalty is still to mexico, which is why we periodically have all these hurt feelings when mexicans are faced with Americans exhibiting their patriotism in America.

It doesn't really have to be a sports game. How about not showing proper respect for mexican holidays like Cinco De Mayo?

California Students Sent Home for Wearing U.S. Flags on Cinco de Mayo | Fox News

I'm guessing you don't have much use for those who hold a dual US-Israeli citizenship too, right? Or, is it just "Mexican's?"

are you talking about Mexicans born and raised here?.....clarify yourself.....

Would you feel the same if the visiting team had been mostly black and the students were chanting, "******, ******, ******?"

Why, or why not?

The word is clearly a racial epithet. From my previous post, "Camarillo High School principal Glenn Lipman said. “If we’re doing it for patriotism, that’s fine. But if we’re doing it for something else that’s racially motivated, I’m not going to allow that.” If there is a history where this was done in an effort top incite then ceasing this chant was appropriate."

The use of a word that is racially disparaging and by it's very nature is meant to incite, belittle or create a hateful atmosphere should not be used as term the term which you used as your example. There is no other meaning that can be attached than what history has shown us in your example.

The word I used is offensive to black people, right? So the use of it by white people is inciting and it shouldn't be done.

To Hispanic-American's, citizens of this country, chanting USA is offensive because it belittles their citizenship and implies that they're not fully real Americans.

I see no difference between the two things because the key is not whether it's offensive to you or me, but whether or not it's offensive to the target audience.

The key is "ordinary citizen" so yes that means you and me as well as others, regarding your example.

There is a solid history regarding that word you have chosen. Chanting USA USA depends on the context of the average listen as expressed in the supreme court case I cited previously. The chant USA USA, alone, does not fall within the expressed guidelines, "so long as it is a "personally abusive [word] which when addressed to the ordinary citizen. is, as a matter of common knowledge, inherently likely to provoke a violent reaction". The context is the trigger in this instance, not the chant USA USA itself.

it was obvious to everyone there they did it will the implication the other team, who was mostly Hispanic, aren't real Americans.

Well, if they were mostly Hispanic, they probably AREN'T real Americans!!

You have to be white to be a real American? That will be news to the Native American's! LOL! I see ignorance is out in full force.

We are not going to be allowed to be proud of the country as long as we have a President who feels
we are not a country to be proud of.

First of all, running for President, the brutal, gut-wrenthing inspection/criticism of your life and your beliefs, everything you've ever said or written... that is the biggest sacrifice one can make for this country.

So, fuck you for being such and idiot.

Secondly, little racist pricks trying to push peoples' buttons are NOT patriots. They're little racists pricks.

We are not going to be allowed to be proud of the country as long as we have a President who feels

First of all, running for President, the brutal, gut-wrenthing inspection/criticism of your life and your beliefs, everything you've ever said or written... that is the biggest sacrifice one can make for this country.

Secondly, little racist pricks trying to push peoples' buttons are NOT patriots. They're little racists pricks.

please, our sacrificing president isn't even willing to sacrifice his golden medical plan for the obamcare he is shoving down our throats.

please, our sacrificing president isn't even willing to sacrifice his golden medical plan for the obamcare he is shoving down our throats.

Off topic much?

Off topic much?

not really

are you talking about Mexicans born and raised here?.....clarify yourself.....

There are MANY mexicans who are born and raised here who consider themselves fully mexican. And, culturally, they are. There are parts of California that are indistinguishable from mexico.

Forum List

Back