Students Told to Stop ‘USA!’ Chant, Take Off American Flag Bandanas

Four California high-school students were reportedly suspended for chanting “U.S.A! U.S.A!” and wearing American flag bandanas during a basketball game. While their punishment has since been rescinded, school administrators said “the incident is far from over.”
Shame on them for being proud of there country!

Oxnard Union School District superintendent Gabe Soumakian told Fox News Radio that “we need to pursue this further” and “work with teachers and students and the community about the concept of cultural proficiency.” Soumakian and Camarillo High School principal Glenn Lipman felt that the students’ actions might have had racist undertones since the schools have large Hispanic student populations.

Cultural proficiency = Diversity Classes
Racist undertones? Whoa! My bullshit meter's going crazy!

Political correctness is running amok again. Someone get the tranq guns and nets.

This country is continuing to sink into the abyss.

We should always be able to yell USA in this country.

'We', who yell USA! in support of our country.

If it is determined to be true that there was an ulterior motive then the hammer should fall.

From the linked article:

“We wanted to make sure [their actions weren't] racially motivated, and I told the kids I just want to be sensitive to the feelings of everybody,” Lipman said. “If we’re doing it for patriotism, that’s fine. But if we’re doing it for something else that’s racially motivated, I’m not going to allow that.”

That tells me nothing. I wish I hadn't bothered to respond. I should search the internet for additional fyi but I won't.

So I conclude--some journalist and editor knew what sort of headline would be of interest to readers. Gain national attention.

Why everything has to be so 'hard'/complex now --I understand but I don't think it is doing any of us much good.

Last edited:
They are what they say they are. Any baby born here to mexican parents can be mexican citizens as soon as those parents go to a consulate or have a roving consulate van come to their home and give them a mexican birth certificate. When they are of voting age, they can get a voter ID card (required in mexico) and vote in mexican elections, if they have never been there.

It's more than that, it really is a state of mind. No matter how "American" mexicans want Americans to believe they are, they are still mexicans in their hearts and minds. Their loyalty is still to mexico, which is why we periodically have all these hurt feelings when mexicans are faced with Americans exhibiting their patriotism in America.

It doesn't really have to be a sports game. How about not showing proper respect for mexican holidays like Cinco De Mayo?

California Students Sent Home for Wearing U.S. Flags on Cinco de Mayo | Fox News

It's more than that, it really is a state of mind. No matter how "American" mexicans want Americans to believe they are, they are still mexicans in their hearts and minds. Their loyalty is still to mexico, which is why we periodically have all these hurt feelings when mexicans are faced with Americans exhibiting their patriotism in America.

are you talking about Mexicans born and raised here?.....clarify yourself.....

There are MANY mexicans who are born and raised here who consider themselves fully mexican. And, culturally, they are. There are parts of California that are indistinguishable from mexico.

most of the American Mexicans that think like that live in the border towns.....El Centro being a prime example.....i know many and i mean lots, that live up here and i have yet to meet any that fit your description as a matter of fact they get kinda pissed when someone insinuates what your saying.....just because they are Mexicans their loyalty must be to Mexico....if you really live in S.Cal Katz i cant see how you can have that foolish opinion....a few with that opinion does not translate into ALL.....

Last edited:
Harry do you remember how many Hispanics lined the streets when they all went on strike during Bush? Even in my small town there were 100's on every block waving Mexican flags.

Is that how you show your loyalty to America?

Four California high-school students were reportedly suspended for chanting “U.S.A! U.S.A!” and wearing American flag bandanas during a basketball game. While their punishment has since been rescinded, school administrators said “the incident is far from over.”
Shame on them for being proud of there country!

Oxnard Union School District superintendent Gabe Soumakian told Fox News Radio that “we need to pursue this further” and “work with teachers and students and the community about the concept of cultural proficiency.” Soumakian and Camarillo High School principal Glenn Lipman felt that the students’ actions might have had racist undertones since the schools have large Hispanic student populations.

Cultural proficiency = Diversity Classes
Racist undertones? Whoa! My bullshit meter's going crazy!

Political correctness is running amok again. Someone get the tranq guns and nets.

This country is continuing to sink into the abyss.

We had a similar incident here in San Antonio, and believe me, the kids you were chanting 'USA" were not doing it because they were proud of their country.

Do you know the mayor of Los Angeles antonio villaragosa? His real name is Tony Vallar. In order to appear more Mexican he took his wife's name villaragosa. Why would he do that if he is a proud American? And if the people he represents in Los Angeles are proud Americans.

Many Hispanics think they are owed southern california because it was once Mexico.

Harry do you remember how many Hispanics lined the streets when they all went on strike during Bush? Even in my small town there were 100's on every block waving Mexican flags.

We have a Greek and a Scottish flag in our yard.

Am I not loyal to America?

"Four states are majority-minority as of 2010: Hawaii (which is the only state that has never had a white majority), New Mexico, California, and Texas.[1]
The District of Columbia reached a majority black status during the latter stages of the Great Migration. Although still majority-minority, blacks are no longer the majority as many Asians, Hispanics, and whites have moved into the district in the last decade.[2]"

From wiki.

Do you have an American flag too? And if not, why?

If you are not proud of this country why are you here?

Why don't you live in Scotland or Greece?

My wife is from Scotland and my family is from Greece.

I don't fly an American flag, but I've had one on my uniform for 20 years now.

Flying a flag does not mean you're proud of or not proud of a country, it just means you're flying a flag.

Besides the incident I'm talking about was a strike for amnesty. If they wanted amnesty to be Americans wouldn't waving American flags have been a better strategy?

According to the school, they don't normally chant USA, and they were bombarded with phone calls from people who attended the game, because it was obvious to everyone there they did it will the implication the other team, who was mostly Hispanic, aren't real Americans.

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/school-says-“usa-usa”-chant-is-racist.html

Different incidents. Your link is from a school in Texas, the one in the OP was from California....

:eek:

:redface:

Nice catch!

If shouting USA is an insult why do so many people want to immigrant here?

Flying a flag does not mean you're proud of or not proud of a country, it just means you're flying a flag.

Are you military? For 20 years? You fight for your country? Then you are proud of it right? Why would you fight for a country you're not proud of?

Last edited:
Little shit bigots need an ass-kicking.

They were trying to provoke students on the other side by implying that because their skin was brown, they didn't belong in the U.S.A.

All the people in this thread who deny this are either playing dumb.... or really dumb.

Besides the incident I'm talking about was a strike for amnesty. If they wanted amnesty to be Americans wouldn't waving American flags have been a better strategy?

Perhaps they were waving the flags as a show of solidarity based on shared heritage.

Are you military? For 20 years? You fight for your country? Then you are proud of it right? Why would you fight for a country you're not proud of?

I find the act of merely flying a flag to imply one's patriotism is an extremely hollow gesture. I see some folks do it on holidays. It really doesn't impress me.

Am I proud of this country? Some things I'm proud of, other things not so much.

And yes, I'm Army.

Not to Frances Scott Key. The star spangled banner meant everything to winning the revolutionary war.

Not to Frances Scott Key. The star spangled banner meant everything to winning the revolutionary war.

I agree with you. He wrote it in 1814--over Fort McHenry--but it conveys his patriotism.

I know things must be more intense in the Southwest and CA. Hang tough is all I can think of to say.

Forum List

Back