Students Told to Stop ‘USA!’ Chant, Take Off American Flag Bandanas

We have a Greek and a Scottish flag in our yard.
Am I not loyal to America?
Flying a flag does not mean you're proud of or not proud of a country, it just means you're flying a flag.

Are you military? For 20 years? You fight for your country? Then you are proud of it right? Why would you fight for a country you're not proud of?

George Bush flew a flag over his ranch, but he wouldn't fight for it. Dick Cheney flies one over his house, but he wouldn't fight for it. Ted Nugent practically sleeps rolled up in the flag, but he wouldn't fight for it.

Who's the greater patriot? The one who WILL fight for it, but doesn't fly a flag? Or, the one who prominently displays a flag, but chickens out when it's time to fight?

Harry do you remember how many Hispanics lined the streets when they all went on strike during Bush? Even in my small town there were 100's on every block waving Mexican flags.

Is that how you show your loyalty to America?

Do you have an American flag too? And if not, why?

If you are not proud of this country why are you here?

Why don't you live in Scotland or Greece?

Lemme get this straight. Flying a USA flag in your yard, that was made in China, by child slaves, is what makes a person patriotic or not? Is it just me, or does that seem a little shallow?

Four California high-school students were reportedly suspended for chanting “U.S.A! U.S.A!” and wearing American flag bandanas during a basketball game. While their punishment has since been rescinded, school administrators said “the incident is far from over.”
Shame on them for being proud of there country!

Oxnard Union School District superintendent Gabe Soumakian told Fox News Radio that “we need to pursue this further” and “work with teachers and students and the community about the concept of cultural proficiency.” Soumakian and Camarillo High School principal Glenn Lipman felt that the students’ actions might have had racist undertones since the schools have large Hispanic student populations.

Cultural proficiency = Diversity Classes
Racist undertones? Whoa! My bullshit meter's going crazy!

Political correctness is running amok again. Someone get the tranq guns and nets.

This country is continuing to sink into the abyss.

We had a similar incident here in San Antonio, and believe me, the kids you were chanting 'USA" were not doing it because they were proud of their country.
Sure they were.

Harry do you remember how many Hispanics lined the streets when they all went on strike during Bush? Even in my small town there were 100's on every block waving Mexican flags.

I don't know. Do you believe lefties are entitled to more than one vote apiece? Do you believe everyone should pull his or her own weight in supporting the country? Do you believe that hiring practices should be colorblind? Do you think one group of Americans should be penalized for doing well, while another group is coddled for failure?

This nation was conceived in liberty and equality. Are we there yet?

My wife is from Scotland and my family is from Greece.

I don't fly an American flag, but I've had one on my uniform for 20 years now.

Flying a flag does not mean you're proud of or not proud of a country, it just means you're flying a flag.
Speak for yourself.

Little shit bigots need an ass-kicking.

They were trying to provoke students on the other side by implying that because their skin was brown, they didn't belong in the U.S.A.

All the people in this thread who deny this are either playing dumb.... or really dumb.
You don't feel the interlopers are bigots?

Are you military? For 20 years? You fight for your country? Then you are proud of it right? Why would you fight for a country you're not proud of?

George Bush flew a flag over his ranch, but he wouldn't fight for it. Dick Cheney flies one over his house, but he wouldn't fight for it. Ted Nugent practically sleeps rolled up in the flag, but he wouldn't fight for it.

Who's the greater patriot? The one who WILL fight for it, but doesn't fly a flag? Or, the one who prominently displays a flag, but chickens out when it's time to fight?
Yes he did. Bush flew airplanes as a member of the Texas Air National Guard during a time of war. He took orders, served honorably and was discharged honorably when his time was up.

According to the school, they don't normally chant USA, and they were bombarded with phone calls from people who attended the game, because it was obvious to everyone there they did it will the implication the other team, who was mostly Hispanic, aren't real Americans.

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/school-says-“usa-usa”-chant-is-racist.html

Different incidents. Your link is from a school in Texas, the one in the OP was from California....

The incident in Texas was prior to the one in California and provides reference and a basis for determining context, setting and history when using the chant. Both incidents are similar and should be discussed together to find common points.

If people aren't Free to hate America and the flag.....then are we truly Free?? ........ :cool:

According to the school, they don't normally chant USA, and they were bombarded with phone calls from people who attended the game, because it was obvious to everyone there they did it will the implication the other team, who was mostly Hispanic, aren't real Americans.

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/school-says-“usa-usa”-chant-is-racist.html

Different incidents. Your link is from a school in Texas, the one in the OP was from California....

The incident in Texas was prior to the one in California and provides reference and a basis for determining context, setting and history when using the chant. Both incidents are similar and should be discussed together to find common points.

from the link--
<The San Antonio Independent School District filed the complaint with the University Interscholastic League, the governing body for athletics in Texas. They allege that students at Alamo Heights High School began chanting “USA, USA” after they defeated Edison High School to win a region basketball championship.

Edison’s team is predominantly Hispanic, said Leslie Price, a spokesperson for the San Antonio ISD.

“The implication as they are not American citizens,” Price told Fox News. “We understand competiveness and rivalry, but you need to choose your words and think about the meaning behind them.>

When they reach a decision maybe things will be clarified. Doubtful but follow due process.

Lemme get this straight. Flying a USA flag in your yard, that was made in China, by child slaves, is what makes a person patriotic or not? Is it just me, or does that seem a little shallow?

It is Patriotic PCness. You must act toward the flag in a predetermined manner in order to be the correct kind of patriot.

All the bemoaning of the decline of America due to PCness written upthread applies to their application of Patriotic PCness as well.

Regards from Rosie

I find the act of merely flying a flag to imply one's patriotism is an extremely hollow gesture. I see some folks do it on holidays. It really doesn't impress me.

Am I proud of this country? Some things I'm proud of, other things not so much.

And yes, I'm Army.

Thank you for your service and your family's sacrifice.

Regards from Rosie

Yes he did. Bush flew airplanes as a member of the Texas Air National Guard during a time of war. He took orders, served honorably and was discharged honorably when his time was up.

Let's ignore the NG as a safe-haven for those dodging Vietnam and just answer the question, shall we?

Which is the greater patriot?

Misty do you know how many of them were born here?....i worked in an Office that had a lot of Mexicans in it....they were all at work.....and they were making fun of the ones that were there......90% of the ones at the massive L.A. one were Illegals....and i say this pretty confidently....a dam good bunch of American born and raised Mexicans do not support Illegals......

Let's ignore the NG as a safe-haven for those dodging Vietnam and just answer the question, shall we?

Which is the greater patriot?

I really can't answer that question.

~~~
I'm in GA we have a growing Hispanic population. For whatever reasons this sort of animosity has not yet been a problem--suspected racial slurs. So perhaps there is some hope that these people are the exception to the rule.

I don't live far from the International Corridor. The diversification began in the 90's and there were some dark moments --increased crime, etc. Things have stabilized and I would say further improvements can be expected.

Flags are flown, cultural celebrations are held and many new businesses have opened.

There are several universities in the surrounding area and it's possible that is a major factor.

When the transition began I used to hear--'Oh, you live over there--I would never live over there...' Not so much anymore.

Those that value the opportunities available in the US are assets and those that just can't 'like' much of anything--no need to stay. jmo.

We are not going to be allowed to be proud of the country as long as we have a President who feels
we are not a country to be proud of.
The President doesn't think that and you know it. Why pretend things that you know aren't true are true? What does that prove?

Forum List

Back