Students Told to Stop ‘USA!’ Chant, Take Off American Flag Bandanas

I don't see a problem with people desecrating the flag, as long as those who do desecrate it don't have a problem spending a few days in the ICU of their local hospital. It's just that simple.

Do you know the mayor of Los Angeles antonio villaragosa? His real name is Tony Vallar. In order to appear more Mexican he took his wife's name villaragosa. Why would he do that if he is a proud American? And if the people he represents in Los Angeles are proud Americans.

Many Hispanics think they are owed southern california because it was once Mexico.

the Mayor of L.A. is laughed at by a lot of Mexicans ...here anyway.....INCLUDING Illegals....do you think they dont realize how phony that guy is?....my nieces boyfriend is an Illegal.....he has been here 17 years.....he is a good guy....at his birthday party the house was filled with his buddies.....all are Illegals.....they were watching a soccer game.....at a commercial the Mayor came on.....these guys started saying things and laughing.....i asked Fernando whats going on.....he said they are laughing at his Spanish,which he said is not very good,and they think he is an asshole for trying to be like one of us.....when he is nothing like us.....they know about him.....he aint fooling anyone including his own people....

According to the school, they don't normally chant USA, and they were bombarded with phone calls from people who attended the game, because it was obvious to everyone there they did it will the implication the other team, who was mostly Hispanic, aren't real Americans.

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/school-says-“usa-usa”-chant-is-racist.html

Yeah, because being Hispanic means someone can't also be American :rolleyes:

well if they are illegal they are not....:eusa_eh:
There is no reason to assume, just because they are Hispanic, that they are not legal residents.

Disingenuous nutters.

Nobody here believes that the kids chanting USA were exhibiting patriotism. But several have pretended to believe that very thing. Fucking liars.

What we have here is a bunch of immature students hyped up over a basketball game......trying anything they can to get into the heads of the other team's players. They used the term USA in a mocking way. Nothing patriotic about it.

FYI....I have witnessed this VERY thing as a baseball coach here in Florida. I know what I am talking about.

I finally wrapped my head around this. The offended parties should take off the bib, put on their big boy pants and stop asking governmental officials to wipe their butts every time their feelings are hurt.

This issue is plain stupid, infantile and undermines the normal maturation process.

That isn't what happened. The host school determined to police their own, as well they should.

Besides, it is a great life lesson. In the kids' lifetime, Hispanics will be the USA majority. That is a far-sighted principal!

Regards from Rosie

The life lesson should have been to deal with life on life's terms. Poor taste and disagreeable remarks are mere appetizers in life's diet of hard lessons and teaching the ability to develop inner strength and endure should have been taught.

Incidentally, the host school employees are government officials.

So the life lesson is that if someone implies you are not a real American because you are not white, you should just suck it up? Ignore what is obviously an insult, bigotry? The life lesson is that we teach our kids it is okay to think that if someone isn't white, they probably aren't a real American?

Incident

Once riding in old Baltimore,
Heart-filled, head-filled with glee,
I saw a Baltimorean
Keep looking straight at me.

Now I was eight and very small,
And he was no whit bigger,
And so I smiled, but he poked out
His tongue, and called me, '******.'

I saw the whole of Baltimore
From May until December;
Of all the things that happened there
That's all that I remember.

~Countee Cullen

Disingenuous nutters.

Nobody here believes that the kids chanting USA were exhibiting patriotism. But several have pretended to believe that very thing. Fucking liars.

What we have here is a bunch of immature students hyped up over a basketball game......trying anything they can to get into the heads of the other team's players. They used the term USA in a mocking way. Nothing patriotic about it.

FYI....I have witnessed this VERY thing as a baseball coach here in Florida. I know what I am talking about.

That was my first impression.

Another lesson that needs to be learned--'You aren't as smart as you think you are...'

So the headline should have been--'Time and Money Wasted over Foolishness'. woo hoo!!

That isn't what happened. The host school determined to police their own, as well they should.

Besides, it is a great life lesson. In the kids' lifetime, Hispanics will be the USA majority. That is a far-sighted principal!

Regards from Rosie

The life lesson should have been to deal with life on life's terms. Poor taste and disagreeable remarks are mere appetizers in life's diet of hard lessons and teaching the ability to develop inner strength and endure should have been taught.

So the life lesson is that if someone implies you are not a real American because you are not white, you should just suck it up? Ignore what is obviously an insult, bigotry? The life lesson is that we teach our kids it is okay to think that if someone isn't white, they probably aren't a real American?

Incident

I saw a Baltimorean

From May until December;

~Countee Cullen

You wish to take my statement out of context that is your choice. Read my posts. Ridiculous self righteous nonsense.

Regards from Rosie

Incident

I saw a Baltimorean

From May until December;

~Countee Cullen

It seems that the media focuses on the bigotry and there is no denying that there are bigots.

It also seems that those who are focused on personal goals find likeminded people of all kinds who are more supportive.

'Water seeks its own level'

Hold onto negative thoughts and ideas and that is what you will find.

In a local relocation forum/Atlanta--this used to come up all the time. 'I am thinking of moving to Atlanta and I have heard that there is little tolerance for diversity/racism, etc..'

At one point in time that was true but things have changed considerably. Whether such change is going on in other areas I can't say. Some sort of blend of conservatism and liberal beliefs, 'Moderates', fwiw.

--Time's a wastin---

http://kevinyoungpoetry.com/home.html

http://www.poetrysociety.org/psa/poetry/poetry_in_motion/atlas/portland/ragtime/

Last edited:
So, when did it become racist to show how patriotic you feel for your country? I call it passion.

So, when did it become racist to show how patriotic you feel for your country? I call it passion.

Since when do kids not figure out how to antagonize each other and use manipulative strategies?

More than likely a tempest in a teapot.

I wonder how these students are doing academically. Are they focusing on career goals?

Probably not.

Would you feel the same if the visiting team had been mostly black and the students were chanting, "******, ******, ******?"

Why, or why not?

The word is clearly a racial epithet. From my previous post, "Camarillo High School principal Glenn Lipman said. “If we’re doing it for patriotism, that’s fine. But if we’re doing it for something else that’s racially motivated, I’m not going to allow that.” If there is a history where this was done in an effort top incite then ceasing this chant was appropriate."

The use of a word that is racially disparaging and by it's very nature is meant to incite, belittle or create a hateful atmosphere should not be used as term the term which you used as your example. There is no other meaning that can be attached than what history has shown us in your example.

The word I used is offensive to black people, right? So the use of it by white people is inciting and it shouldn't be done.

To Hispanic-American's, citizens of this country, chanting USA is offensive because it belittles their citizenship and implies that they're not fully real Americans.

I see no difference between the two things because the key is not whether it's offensive to you or me, but whether or not it's offensive to the target audience.

It is not WHAT was said, but HOW it was said and for what purpose.

Some people have a peculiar idea of what patriotism really is.

It is patriotic to be a bully about patriotism.

In a corollary, there is an inverse proportion between the size of a politician's flag pin on his lapel and the size of his genitals.

Regards from Rosie

Disingenuous nutters.

I agree. There is nothing patriotic about it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImgW2GVC-hE]Native American confronts 'anti-illegal immigration' protesters - YouTube[/ame]

Harry do you remember how many Hispanics lined the streets when they all went on strike during Bush? Even in my small town there were 100's on every block waving Mexican flags.

Is that how you show your loyalty to America?

We have a Greek and a Scottish flag in our yard.

Am I not loyal to America?
I don't know. Do you believe lefties are entitled to more than one vote apiece? Do you believe everyone should pull his or her own weight in supporting the country? Do you believe that hiring practices should be colorblind? Do you think one group of Americans should be penalized for doing well, while another group is coddled for failure?

This nation was conceived in liberty and equality. Are we there yet?

I don't believe substituting a bunch of hollow right wing talking points for honest discussion.

If you want to get out of the CEC bubble and discuss things, I'll be happy to oblige, but I'm not talking to Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity through you. Sorry.

Do you have an American flag too? And if not, why?

If you are not proud of this country why are you here?

Why don't you live in Scotland or Greece?

My wife is from Scotland and my family is from Greece.

I don't fly an American flag, but I've had one on my uniform for 20 years now.

Flying a flag does not mean you're proud of or not proud of a country, it just means you're flying a flag.
Speak for yourself.

Have you ever worn the uniform of the US?

We are not going to be allowed to be proud of the country as long as we have a President who feels
we are not a country to be proud of.
The President doesn't think that and you know it. Why pretend things that you know aren't true are true? What does that prove?

It proves right wing radio has a powerful hold on some of these tools.

Monkey see, monkey do.

Forum List

Back