Suez Unblocked

Just reported. No link yet.

A little clean up then flow resumes.
technically its still blocked and still might be weeks before normal traffic continues,,

on the brighter side there might be a toilet paper shortage again due to it,,

trump was right when he wanted to get manufacturing brought back to the country,,

They've estimated 48 hours.

You must be pretty young.. Do you remember when the Suez Canal was closed for years?

technically its still blocked and still might be weeks before normal traffic continues,,

trump was right when he wanted to get manufacturing brought back to the country,,

You must be pretty young.. Do you remember when the Suez Canal was closed for years?

Nasser's nationalization of the canal in 1956 in the oldest event I recall. I was 5 years old.

Nasser's nationalization of the canal in 1956 in the oldest event I recall. I was 5 years old.

The Israeli attack on Egypt in 1967 caused the 8 year closure of the Suez Canal..

We'll probably see a spike in oil prices as a result of this current screw up.

saying next high tide...will help but i think they said the high tide wont be for two more weeks?
High tide comes twice a day.
The moon affects the tide levels.

Study the photos:

1617032373344.png

1617031444384.png

It should be obvious that the ship rammed into the sloping bank of the channel with enough momentum to lift its bow higher in the water than it would be if floating freely. This made the required lifting force on the bow to reach a level of floating freely exceed the weight of the bow since the mud sticking to the bow provides a downward force when the bow is being subjected to some other lifting force. (Any hunter that has been separated from one or more of his rubber boots while walking on submerged black gumbo will attest to this fact of physics.)

Regarding your "High tide comes twice a day." statement:

Spring tides and neap tides alternate about every two weeks. That is why some high tides are higher than others. Both the high tides and the low tides vary in elevation through each month of the year.

Twice each month, the moon lines up with the Earth and sun. These are called the new moon and the full moon. When the moon is between the Earth and the sun, it is in the sun’s shadow and appears dark. This is the new moon. When the Earth is between the sun and moon, the moon reflects sunlight. This is the full moon.

When the sun, moon and Earth are all lined up, the sun’s tidal force works with the moon’s tidal force. The combined pull can cause the highest and lowest tides, called spring tides. Spring tides happen whenever there is a new moon or a full moon and have nothing to do with the season of spring. (The term comes from the German word springen, which means “to jump.”)

In the period between the two spring tides, the moon faces the Earth at a right angle to the sun. When this happens, the pull of the sun and the moon are weak. This causes tides that are lower than usual. These tides are known as neap tides.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back