Supreme Court rules you can refill inkjet cartridges

mamooth

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
The Supreme Court laid a smackdown on overly broad patents, striking down Lexmark's claim that they were allowed to prohibit refilling their inkjet cartridges.

Opinion analysis: Federal Circuit loses again, as justices categorically reject enforcement of post-sale patent restrictions - SCOTUSblog

The pertinent part:
---
When a patentee sells one of its products, however, the patentee can no longer control that item through the patent laws — its patent rights are said to “exhaust.” The purchaser and all subsequent owners are free to use or resell the product just like any other item of personal property, without fear of an infringement lawsuit.
---

That is, a patent only allows the patent holder to control the first sale of the product. Once it's sold, the buyer can do whatever the buyer wants with it.

As a patent is not the same as copyright, this has a limited effect on things like Apple's iron-fisted control of its software environment. It will have more of an effect on things like John Deere's dickish policy of only allowing John Deere shops to repair John Deere tractors, which is why I will never buy another John Deere product.

Why American Farmers Are Hacking Their Tractors With Ukrainian Firmware

for those who care...
200.gif

The problem with the printers is that the maker will not accept to fix your printer under warranty not only if you refilled the cartridge, but also if you use a compatible cartridge from another manufacturer. And cartridges are not that cheap.

There's more profit made on the inkjet cartridges than there is on the printer itself, the printer is disposable. Same goes for the cell phone, it's the service not the cell phone.

The Supreme Court laid a smackdown on overly broad patents, striking down Lexmark's claim that they were allowed to prohibit refilling their inkjet cartridges.

Opinion analysis: Federal Circuit loses again, as justices categorically reject enforcement of post-sale patent restrictions - SCOTUSblog

The pertinent part:
---
When a patentee sells one of its products, however, the patentee can no longer control that item through the patent laws — its patent rights are said to “exhaust.” The purchaser and all subsequent owners are free to use or resell the product just like any other item of personal property, without fear of an infringement lawsuit.
---

That is, a patent only allows the patent holder to control the first sale of the product. Once it's sold, the buyer can do whatever the buyer wants with it.

As a patent is not the same as copyright, this has a limited effect on things like Apple's iron-fisted control of its software environment. It will have more of an effect on things like John Deere's dickish policy of only allowing John Deere shops to repair John Deere tractors, which is why I will never buy another John Deere product.

So much for Obama stacking the federal court..

The pertinent part:
---
---

The decision benefits consumers you dumbass

The pertinent part:
---
---

Nope is all about Obama stacking the federal courts with the Harry Reid option dumb ass..

Now I can't wait till gorsuch and company hears the cases from the 9th circuit court and the stupid ass case just ruled on by the 7th ..

...I see winning ...

The pertinent part:
---
---

And how much does printer ink cost?

You Thought Gasoline is Expensive? Printer Ink is Over $5,500 Per Liter

$22,000 a gallon. And they have the balls to demand no one refill their cartridges?

The pertinent part:
---
---

Nope is all about Obama stacking the federal courts with the Harry Reid option dumb ass..

Now I can't wait till gorsuch and company hears the cases from the 9th circuit court and the stupid ass case just ruled on by the 7th ..

...I see winning ...

Says the Russian Hack.

This is why I bought a cheap laser printer. Toner cartridges last forever. 5 years later, it's still 75% full.

And warmup time is a couple seconds, compared a couple minutes for some inkjets. It just works. Inkjets don't.

Yeah, it won't print color, but I haven't had any need to print color.

The pertinent part:
---
---

I did it anyway.

Forum List

Back