Takeaways from the NY court hearing on Trump’s $454 million civil fraud judgment appeal

DonGlock26

Sep 15, 2024
Takeaways from the NY court hearing on Trump’s $454 million civil fraud judgment appeal
A New York appeals court grilled attorneys for both Donald Trump and the New York attorney general’s office Thursday over the $454 million civil fraud judgment against the former president, raising questions about the size of the penalty and the scope of the attorney general’s authority to bring case itself.

Trump did not attend Thursday’s oral argument, but his lawyers are seeking to overturn the judgment levied by state Judge Arthur Engoron in February, who found that Trump, his sons Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump, and his business liable for fraud, as well as issuing false financial statements and false business records. The appellate hearing is yet another legal development for Trump playing out the same time as his presidential campaign hits the home stretch. In addition to the civil fraud appeal, Trump’s lawyers have argued to dismiss the guilty verdict in the New York criminal case, the federal election interference case in Washington, DC, and the E. Jean Carroll defamation verdict – all in the past month.

Here’s what to know from Thursday’s hearing:

Justice says size of penalty against Trump ‘troubling’
The five-judge appellate panel peppered Deputy New York Solicitor General Judith Vale with questions about the scope of the attorney general’s authority, the lack of alleged victims in the conduct and the size of the penalty Engoron imposed.

Hopefully, the Appeals court puts an end to the Democrats' lawfare against Donald Trump. The weaponization of the legal system should not be tolerated.

Hopefully, the Appeals court puts an end to the Democrats' lawfare against Donald Trump. The weaponization of the legal system should not be tolerated.
Hopefully not. There is no lawfare. Don't be republican talking about weaponizing the legal system.

Hey there Mr fascist democrat urban dweller, Liberian express departs November 5th..... Reserve your seat!
I don't live in an urban area Mr Racist rural, meth smoking trailer park dweller. The back to Europe express departs November 6th. And if you miss that flight, there will be another one on January 20, 2025...... Reserve your seat.

I don't live in an urban area Mr Racist rural, meth smoking trailer park dweller. The back to Europe express departs November 6th. And if you miss that flight, there will be another one on January 20, 2025...... Reserve your seat.
I'm not the least bit racist, you urban dwellers have that position all locked up to yourselves! I might add, good luck with your European express, its reparations time for you folk, with choice of destination being either Monrovia, or Port Au Prince! :fu:

Forum List

Back