Taxes On Recreational Pot Sales in Denver Could Top 35 Percent

Smilebong

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2013
Cold Cold North Country
I think that they might as well, they make 40% on cigarettes in my state.

Taxes On Recreational Pot Sales Could Top 35 Percent

The taxes on recreational marijuana might go a lot higher than first thought. Smokers buying at shops in Denver may pay up to 35 percent in taxes.

Colorado voters will be asked to approve two state taxes totaling 25 percent on all retail marijuana sales in the November election. They may be asked to approve an additional city tax for Denver.

Denver Mayor Michael Hancock wants to add an additional five to 10 percent city tax on top of that.

Hancock said the money is needed to pay the costs of regulating the drug.

Critics complain severe taxes would destroy a new industry already approved by voters.

The Denver City Council has until August to decide if the tax question will go on the November ballot.

State tax amounts of 15 and 10 percent also need approval from voters.

Taxes On Recreational Pot Sales Could Top 35 Percent « CBS Denver

I think that they might as well, they make 40% on cigarettes in my state.

Taxes On Recreational Pot Sales Could Top 35 Percent

The taxes on recreational marijuana might go a lot higher than first thought. Smokers buying at shops in Denver may pay up to 35 percent in taxes.

Colorado voters will be asked to approve two state taxes totaling 25 percent on all retail marijuana sales in the November election. They may be asked to approve an additional city tax for Denver.

Denver Mayor Michael Hancock wants to add an additional five to 10 percent city tax on top of that.

Hancock said the money is needed to pay the costs of regulating the drug.

Critics complain severe taxes would destroy a new industry already approved by voters.

The Denver City Council has until August to decide if the tax question will go on the November ballot.

State tax amounts of 15 and 10 percent also need approval from voters.

Taxes On Recreational Pot Sales Could Top 35 Percent « CBS Denver

I'm all for that. But it really says something about the resiliency of Americans that they can go from doing business out of car trunks and hiding to the police to complaining about taxes in one quick jump. Makes you proud.

Honest - I have a nephew that works at a licensed pot farm just outside Denver. He is working on getting his retail license to open his own.
Hell...the way things are going I might join him if he succeeds!

Should have known this was coming...anything to steal money from the citizenry.

Does the State generate "revenue" any other way?

My question is, WTF does the plant need regulating?

Should they also regulate basil and parsley?

Just another industry the State wants to pull under its roll so it can collect on it like the good robbers they are.

Should have known this was coming...anything to steal money from the citizenry.

Does the State generate "revenue" any other way?

My question is, WTF does the plant need regulating?

Should they also regulate basil and parsley?

Just another industry the State wants to pull under its roll so it can collect on it like the good robbers they are.

To think of it....umm NOPE! That was my thought exactly...what the hell needs regulated?

And how much "illegal marijuana" will flood the state when the legal price goes way above the natural market price? The illegal cigarette market in NY and other high tax states is enormous. Simple econ 101 suggests the state will lose out to marijuana bootleggers.

And how much "illegal marijuana" will flood the state when the legal price goes way above the natural market price? The illegal cigarette market in NY and other high tax states is enormous. Simple econ 101 suggests the state will lose out to marijuana bootleggers.

Good.

This is why people are going to buy pot from their old reliable street dealer. No tax.

This is why people are going to buy pot from their old reliable street dealer. No tax.

It's a plant. it grows like a weed. Hence the slang term "weed". People who want to procure it and not get thrown in jail over it, or pay an extortion fee, will simply grow their own.

It's a plant. it grows like a weed. Hence the slang term "weed". People who want to procure it and not get thrown in jail over it, or pay an extortion fee, will simply grow their own.

Sure they will. It's a no brainer. Then backyard pot growers will be busted just like they are now, the charge will be different. It will be tax evasion.

That's fine.

There are plenty of people that have their own vegetable gardens and even raise their own meat.

It's when they try and sell it that the government becomes involved. As it should.

Sure they will. It's a no brainer. Then backyard pot growers will be busted just like they are now, the charge will be different. It will be tax evasion.

Ridiculous.

My girlfriend grows herbs, vegetables and spices on our terrace.

There is no law against that.

That's fine.

There are plenty of people that have their own vegetable gardens and even raise their own meat.

It's when they try and sell it that the government becomes involved. As it should.

Yes, of course. The State should get a piece of every single transaction out there. Because...well, because they are an organized system of robbery, who also runs a protections racket.

That's fine.

Yes, of course. The State should get a piece of every single transaction out there. Because...well, because they are an organized system of robbery, who also runs a protections racket.

The Federal and State Constitutions establish a system of taxation and regulation of trade.

There are countries around the globe that do not have that.

You might want to check into the results.

Forum List

Back