Teaching computer games??

Lateralus

Rookie
Jun 14, 2017
Computer games are usually considered as harmful for children and I agree with this opinion but I also heard not so long ago about special teaching ones and it seems that a new cool trend appeared which is connected with them. Did anyone try them? Do you think that they are really so useful and safe?

I understand what OP means about harmful computer games but it's a very general point of view and isn't fair for all types of games. It really depends on a certain type of game, it's genre and rating, for example I would never let my kids play in games with much violence and blood in small age. And the other problem is that some children spend really too much time with playing in them instead of making smth else, in such case any game can become harmful. But it's in fact a great problem of parents, not children because time for games should be always controlled :eusa_naughty:
And yeah, there are really many teaching computer games, however I don't think that it's such a new trend with them because as I remember the first ones existed even in my childhood, for example I still remember a very fun one for improving my skills in speech and reading. Now there are much more types of them for developing logic, learning math like 12 Many, alphabet like Zebrainy ABCs zebrainy.com/ and so on. From experience of my friends with children and my own from childhood years I can say that such games are really a cool method for learning, they're really helpful and very attractive for children because they combine two things which they adore now, games and gadgets :redface:
But I don't think that all other methods of teaching should be replaced only with them.

My elderst started playing games at 4, we played all the genres yet the games did ruin him, he is now 33 and has steady employment and has a good social life, damn that gaming system...

My youngest is 15 and is an e-sports fanatic. Makes straight "A"'s in school and is very self disciplined... Damn that Cyberpower PC...

I agree with Moonglow. Games are harmful for children? I remember when comic books were supposed to be harmful for kids. Now most movies are comic book themes and graphic novels are everywhere and fantasy art. I remember when scifi was supposed to be harmful! Now scifi/fantasy is a major genre in literature and movies.

I have a relative who banned TV and video games and tried to force her boys to read instead. Of course that didn't go! So they just didn't do anything: how did that help their life education?

I disagree with parents trying to row against the tide of what a child's world actually IS, stopping them from participating in normal activities for their times, such as video games and iPads and so on now.

I feel so bad for kids whose parents decide to interfere with a normal life, and the kids spend their whole childhood desperately trying to catch up, to fit in with other kids even though their parents fight them tooth and nail. That's just wrong.

Besides, games are often wonderfully educational on many levels. For one thing, gaming is the only place kids can be free from the overly structured and parent-controlled activities that kids are over-scheduled with today. The history games, like any of the Assassin's Creed games are very thoughtful -- as much in the beautiful game environs and the thought-provoking interactions as the overt history lessons. But the work ethic taught in especially the Japanese Dark Souls games, wow --- put in the time, the effort, focus, just face doing it over and over until you get it right, what, you thought it was supposed to be easy? and --- change up the methods! I spent THREE WEEKS on the last boss of Dark Souls NG+ doing essentially the same thing, hoping I'd get better. The light dawned. I tried something entirely different and beat the boss that way second time out. These are good lessons for young people to learn. (And me.)

Forum List

Back