The Army Rolls Out a New Weapon: Strategic Napping

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
Our fearsome military!

The Army’s new physical fitness manual is "no longer focused entirely on grueling physical challenges like long ruck marches and pull-ups ... Now it has chapters on setting goals, visualizing success, 'spiritual readiness'"

Then again...that's how my friend Bob Sacamano keeps fit. he relaxes his body for hours so he doesn't get tired later when he's working out. HE'S TOO STRONG! HE'S TOO STRONG!

You know, one of the things that I appreciated about being on sea duty was the fact that I could get a nap over my lunch hour and a half. It wasn't possible on shore duty, but on sea duty, a "nooner" was pretty much part of the routine.

• Banned
listening to a boring speech could make you take a nap. just listen to Senator Lisa Murkowski talk!

Dl8iic7W0AAlGao

• Banned
"Sleeping is for the dead...no matter what the time is...everytime you close your eyes...LIES! LIES!"

...servicemen have been doing that for centuries .....I did it --without a manual
...when humans are tired, they will go to sleep ..especially out on exercises/etc--when you're done with your tasks, there's not much else to do
....this is a non-story

...servicemen have been doing that for centuries .....I did it --without a manual
...when humans are tired, they will go to sleep ..especially out on exercises/etc--when you're done with your tasks, there's not much else to do
....this is a non-story

Yanno..................that is one of the things I liked about being on sea duty. You could always get a "nooner". And, I gotta say, I worked better when I could have a mid day nap then when I couldn't.

....this is a non-story

Yanno..................that is one of the things I liked about being on sea duty. You could always get a "nooner". And, I gotta say, I worked better when I could have a mid day nap then when I couldn't.
....I was on 4 different ships......we used to go sleep in the small library.....then one time, our company CO came down and told us all to get up and get out ....

....this is a non-story

....I was on 4 different ships......we used to go sleep in the small library.....then one time, our company CO came down and told us all to get up and get out ....

Guess you served in a different Navy than I did. We got 1 1/2 hours for lunch, and if you were smart (and fast) you were able to get lunch in 30 min. or less, which left you an hour to nap. Yeah, my ship had a library, but nobody was forbidden from hitting their rack during lunch.

BTW............................a "company CO"? The only time I heard of that rank was when I was a recruit in Orlando in '82. I still remember my company CO's. One was ET1 English, but he left after only a couple of weeks, because he was needed elsewhere. The one that I remember best, (probably because he was with us all the way), was QM2 Brandon. His favorite way to greet us in the morning was "Good morning assholes, drop and give me 20".

That actually stopped when one day, after giving him 20, we shouted in unison "We love it, we love it, give us more of it, give us more QM2, give us more". He burst out in a big grin, because he knew we had become a team.

....this is a non-story

Guess you served in a different Navy than I did. We got 1 1/2 hours for lunch, and if you were smart (and fast) you were able to get lunch in 30 min. or less, which left you an hour to nap. Yeah, my ship had a library, but nobody was forbidden from hitting their rack during lunch.

BTW............................a "company CO"? The only time I heard of that rank was when I was a recruit in Orlando in '82. I still remember my company CO's. One was ET1 English, but he left after only a couple of weeks, because he was needed elsewhere. The one that I remember best, (probably because he was with us all the way), was QM2 Brandon. His favorite way to greet us in the morning was "Good morning assholes, drop and give me 20".

That actually stopped when one day, after giving him 20, we shouted in unison "We love it, we love it, give us more of it, give us more QM2, give us more". He burst out in a big grin, because he knew we had become a team.
USMC, not Navy.
....you got 1.5 hours???!!! ....the way I thought, the Ducks had less free time then we did, on ship.......??

....this is a non-story

....I didn't think the Navy had ''''companies'' like I mentioned....?

....this is a non-story

...I see now---why you never heard of a Company Co ..that's what I thought
...I think it was Golphing Gator --a poster on USMB-- that made that same mistake......I said I was on ship....then later I said I was in the USMC....he went apeshit and said I was a liar--contradicting myself
...Marine means ''from the sea'''...it's the Marines' primary duty--FMF--Fleet Marine Force ..Gator Navy......etc
..yes, I was on 4 different ships in less than 4 years .....

....this is a non-story

Airdale our book keeper...........lol

Nooner in Engineering .....lmao......LUCKY to get a meal without being late for watch.

....this is a non-story

...I see now---why you never heard of a Company Co ..that's what I thought
...I think it was Golphing Gator --a poster on USMB-- that made that same mistake......I said I was on ship....then later I said I was in the USMC....he went apeshit and said I was a liar--contradicting myself
...Marine means ''from the sea'''...it's the Marines' primary duty--FMF--Fleet Marine Force ..Gator Navy......etc
..yes, I was on 4 different ships in less than 4 years .....

BTW............................a "company CO"? The only time I heard of that rank was when I was a recruit in Orlando in '82. I still remember my company CO's. One was ET1 English,
lmao............we called Orlando DISNEY LAND..............Later CATCH A WAVE AND RIDE IT......lmao

Your story sounds fake as hell............Great Mistakes wasn't like that back then........but then again women didn't go to boot camp in Great Mistakes.

You remember the names of CC's from 1982............You gotta be joking me........

You are a dang fraud.

.....I remember at the Rifle Range..I'd have '''noon'' chow and then sleep for about 5-10 minutes--but it was a '''deep''' sleep ...not everyone napped, but I did...great weather, outside, ''peaceful'' Hawaii ..very relaxing
..we got up earlier than our standard early time....we had to get the rifles/set up/etc early--so I guess I was more tired at '''noon''' chow

.....I remember at the Rifle Range..I'd have '''noon'' chow and then sleep for about 5-10 minutes--but it was a '''deep''' sleep ...not everyone napped, but I did...great weather, outside, ''peaceful'' Hawaii ..very relaxing
..we got up earlier than our standard early time....we had to get the rifles/set up/etc early--so I guess I was more tired at '''noon''' chow
I remember 3 lines on the Wasp.........one was for the airdales....one for engineering.......one for marines.............

I'd have to be on watch soon.......and they gave out early chow chits.......the other 2 lines was abused to hell and back..........so many times I just said fuck it and didn't eat rather than be late for watch.

But we understood the problem........I kept food in the coffin locker ........and we pilferred the mre's from the marines........lol

The airdales had it made.......they only worked 12 hour days.........why they were given early chow chits was beyond me.

Sailor is a dang fraud.

I remember 3 lines on the Wasp.........one was for the airdales....one for engineering.......one for marines.............

I'd have to be on watch soon.......and they gave out early chow chits.......the other 2 lines was abused to hell and back..........so many times I just said fuck it and didn't eat rather than be late for watch.

But we understood the problem........I kept food in the coffin locker ........and we pilferred the mre's from the marines........lol

The airdales had it made.......they only worked 12 hour days.........why they were given early chow chits was beyond me.

Sailor is a dang fraud.
..I was the ''guard'' for early watch chits..some Duck tried to get in with a '''fake one'' or something......I turned him away...something like that...I remember one of my platoon buddies said he was ready to jump in if the Duck tried anything
...on ship, we did whatever before chow....then, since I read a lot, I would go to the chow line long before it started, and read...I was first in line almost all the time ..I read right by the hatch...that was on the LSTs......there weren't as many crew and Marines on the LSTs...
....I was also on the Inchon and Nassau

Napping on post could get people killed and used to be worth about 6 months in the brig. Maybe the fat asses in the Pentagon forgot what it's like.

Napping on post could get people killed and used to be worth about 6 months in the brig. Maybe the fat asses in the Pentagon forgot what it's like.

Wow...................glad I joined the Navy. On sea duty, grabbing a "nooner" during lunch was pretty much standard. You went through the chowline, ate, and then had around 45 min. left of your lunch hour for a nap. One of the few things that I missed about being on sea duty. The only time you couldn't get one is if you were on watch during lunch.

I've been told that the surest way in war time of telling the veterans from the newbies is to see which soldiers are asleep. Veterans know to sleep at every possible opportunity even if its while being bounced around in an APC, truck, or helicopter.

Rookies going into combat the first time are too excited to sleep. Likewise soldiers who have been in combat only once or twice are often too excited or too eager to recount their previous experience to the rookies to sleep.

After about their third time in combat though experienced soldiers start saying the hell with it and sleep as much as possible.

Forum List

Back