THE ART SCENE: Are potters on equal par with painters?

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
... “Are potters, ceramicists or even craftsmen on equal par with painters, especially when it comes to price?” he wrote. “Does a beautifully made vase fetch the same money as an exquisite painting of a bowl of fruit?”

...Peterson asked me to list off famous painters, and then name any ceramicists. Hundreds of painters swelled through my mind, but when it came to ceramic artists, those who focused on items other than sculpture, I could name only a handful. He had me.

While in-person, the conversation focused more on artists versus crafters and the division it creates specifically in the world of pottery. He claims he is both: a crafter that at one time in his life created repetition with functional dinner ware on his wheel; and an artist with salt water in his veins that creates one-of-a-kind marine-inspired pieces with painstaking detail.

He’s a working artist and has been for the past 40 plus years. And that story began here in Savannah.

I couldn't name off any ceramicists if I tried. I consider them artists. I just don't have an attraction to buying it.

I'm an art school drop-out - that means I graduated ah la cuom loudy.
The ceramics instructor did some interesting work that lead me to appreciate, and be able to critique, the ceramic work that is fairly abundant in the New York City Subway system; along with some sculpture work.

I think Picasso did some ceramics. But yeah, the painters dominate the fame and fortune; except for Vinnie - poor guy.

The ceramics I never tried to sell. My mom used to enter them into the main show every year as she like getting those awards for her daughter. I did a whole series of ocean fish. Sculpted from clay and then painted. This was my first one. My mom has the rest displayed in her home. Commercial painting has always paid the best. The rest from the oil paintings to sculpting has always been because I enjoy it.
Fish of the ocean.PNG
The canister pic was a poured mold which I added the Irises to.
Iris can.PNG

I don't have a pic of the vase that was simply painted one year that brought the highest awards at their annual todo.

Forum List

Back