The Biden BOOM is here, Best First 100 days Stock Market.

The mortgage crisis was caused by Phil Gramm, James Leach, and Thomas Bliley, three Republicans, and it was called the Gramm, Leach, Bliley act. Look it up. Learn something.

You never said, what did that Act do to mortgages?

The GLBA repealed parts of the Glass-Steagall act. It removed the barriers to consolidation. Banking companies, insurance companies, and securities companies could all consolidate. From my perspective, insurance companies should sell insurance, banks should handle mortgages, and securities companies should handles securities. After the GLBA, insurance companies could handle mortgages and banks could sell securities, and securities companies could sell insurance.

Worse, the GLBA failed to provide an oversight authority for large investment bank holding companies. Think Lehman Brothers and AIG. I mean the whole thing was a disaster waiting to happen. Blaming loans to minorities as the problem is simply diversion. The real problem was greed, and an unregulated financial landscape where things quickly spun out of control. Like I have mentioned, the Big Short is a great movie, and captures the dynamics of the crisis.

I mean it worked kind of like this. Companies didn't provide mortgages to those minorities, they didn't do no doc loans, or loans to unqualified borrowers, because the government made them. They made those loans because they could charge more interest. Now, the value of those loans, like a stock, was the present value of the anticipated payments. Think an 11% loan on a mobile home, which was Greentree's forte, and yes, they went belly up, taking Banker's Life and Casualty with them.
There was all kinds of cream on the top of that milk, and companies took that cream off the top, bundled those loans with other, good loans, and sold them as securities to firms like AIG who then sold them to investors.

The real blame for the whole crisis rests on one number cruncher, I forget his name. But he came up with an equation that basically said, you can put this many rotten apples in a barrel with this many good apples, and in the end, all the apples will turn out good. Any good redneck knows that would never work, but his numbers said it would. Putting C rated loans with A rated loans ain't going to make the whole package A rated, but yet, that is what happened. And when the C rated loans went bad, the A rated Mortgage backed securities, suddenly collapsed in value. And they were insured. I mean insurance on mortgage back securities is the only insurance that I know of that did not require a loss reserve, because it wasn't regulated, taking us back to the GLBA. So the whole damn thing came crumbling down spectacularly.

The GLBA repealed parts of the Glass-Steagall act.

Yup. And which part of Glass-Steagall mentioned mortgages?

Worse, the GLBA failed to provide an oversight authority for large investment bank holding companies.

Still not about mortgages.

Think Lehman Brothers and AIG.

Don't you mean Lehman and Bear Stearns?

Blaming loans to minorities as the problem is simply diversion.

Forcing banks to make loans to borrowers with lower income and credit scores is not deregulation.

The real problem was greed, and an unregulated financial landscape where things quickly spun out of control.

Glass-Steagall didn't outlaw greed. Repealing it didn't invent greed.

Think an 11% loan on a mobile home, which was Greentree's forte,

Green Tree couldn't make that loan under Glass-Steagall?

bundled those loans with other, good loans, and sold them as securities to firms like AIG who then sold them to investors.

I don't think AIG was involved in creating MBS.

And when the C rated loans went bad, the A rated Mortgage backed securities, suddenly collapsed in value. And they were insured.

A small portion were insured.

AIG was heavily involved in CDS, credit default swaps, which is the insurance on those MBS's. And the problem wasn't that a high percentage of MBS's were insured, the problem was the many MBS's were insured "naked", which means the insurance holder had no interest in any MBS's, they were just betting on a default. I mean that shit was stupid. First, no loss reserves required to insure the MBS's, and then, no interest required in the MBS's in order to purchase insurance. That is not the way insurance works. You can't buy life insurance on someone unless you have an "Insurable interest". But a CDS, no problem, you don't to have an insurable interest. I mean it was like buying collision insurance on your neighbors car when their kid just got his drivers license.

Greentree was part of Conseco, an insurance company. So no, Greentree could not have made that loan prior to the GLBA. I mean think about it, does it make sense to have the reserves of an insurance company loaned out to people? What, are life insurance companies now going pay death claims with monthly payments?

Here is the thing. There was no government oversight, and yet the government bailed these companies out. That is bullshit. No oversight, no bailout. That is the "free market"

AIG was heavily involved in CDS, credit default swaps, which is the insurance on those MBS's.

Yes, AIG sold CDS, they didn't buy mortgages and turn them into MBS to resell them.
Happy to help clear up your confusion.

the problem was the many MBS's were insured "naked", which means the insurance holder had no interest in any MBS's

The problem was the main issuer, AIG, didn't have the reserves to cover their risk.

which means the insurance holder had no interest in any MBS's, they were just betting on a default. I mean that shit was stupid.

I can buy puts on IBM, betting on a default (well, at least betting the stock will go down),
why is that stupid? The CDS buyers were right, they made money.

I mean it was like buying collision insurance on your neighbors car when their kid just got his drivers license.

If you can find an idiot to take the opposite side of a stupid bet, why not take it?

Greentree was part of Conseco, an insurance company. So no, Greentree could not have made that loan prior to the GLBA.

Green Tree made those loans under Glass-Steagall, before they were bought by Conseco.

I mean think about it, does it make sense to have the reserves of an insurance company loaned out to people?

Does it make sense to have the reserves of an insurance company loaned out to corporations and governments?

Here is the thing. There was no government oversight, and yet the government bailed these companies out.

There was a lot of government oversight. And yes, the government made short-term loans during the crisis. Loans that were repaid at a huge profit to the US Treasury. Just awful!!!

Banks were free to write or buy crappy mortgages before Glass-Steagall, under Glass-Steagall and after Glass-Steagall was repealed.

...and the crash is coming..
You NAZIS wished for that double dip for Obama's 2 terms and it never happened no matter how much GOPQ governors tried to cause it. But Tramp did it in less than one term.
Inflation is upon us just as I predicted...you can't borrow this kind of money without weakening the dollar...how many times do you have to live it to learn it?....notice how the news is right back to the news of the Obama days?...war in the middle east....Iran on its march....inflation and unemployment skyrocket....cyber attacks....dems are dems and dems do what dems do...they ruin the average Americans lives....

America is getting its swagga back.
Thanks to Biden and his economic and covid wins.

The stock market has gained more under Biden than any other ever, in the first 100 days.

This is just the beginning of the biggest economic run our country has ever had, and Biden is doing an incredible job considering what he inherited.

Yeah, it's doing great......

The stock market has gained more under Biden than any other ever, in the first 100 days.

This is just the beginning of the biggest economic run our country has ever had, and Biden is doing an incredible job considering what he inherited.

Yeah, it's doing great......

SO what.
That won't stop much.
The market and economy are very strong, higher inflation is to be expected, but growth is very high.
Here's a little tip, you stack up all the many many positive bullish catalysts in the world and the country, then you offset that with all the negative bearish catalysts.
Then you realize the economy is strong as the bull case far outweighs the bear case.

This is what MAGA is.

No its the result of central banks printing. They cant stop because everything would collapse.

From an interview with William White at bank of international settlements BIS

"Central banks know they can’t leave interest rates as low as they are, because they are inducing still more bad debt and bad behavior. But they can’t raise rates, because then they would trigger the very crisis they are trying to avoid. There is no way out but to keep doing what you are doing, but by doing that, you are making it worse.

Have central banks reached the end of the road?

Just read what Bill Dudley, the former president of the New York Fed, wrote in Bloomberg a couple of weeks ago. He warns that central banks have run out of firepower, and he warns that the side effects are getting worse. I agree with every word. That is the most dangerous effect of the past thirty years of monetary policy: Debt levels have constantly been building up, and so have the instabilities in the financial system."

This is what MAGA is.

No its the result of central banks printing. They cant stop because everything would collapse.

"Central banks know they can’t leave interest rates as low as they are, because they are inducing still more bad debt and bad behavior. But they can’t raise rates, because then they would trigger the very crisis they are trying to avoid. There is no way out but to keep doing what you are doing, but by doing that, you are making it worse.

Just read what Bill Dudley, the former president of the New York Fed, wrote in Bloomberg a couple of weeks ago. He warns that central banks have run out of firepower, and he warns that the side effects are getting worse. I agree with every word. That is the most dangerous effect of the past thirty years of monetary policy: Debt levels have constantly been building up, and so have the instabilities in the financial system."
Central bank printing has nothing to due with the transition to cloud, the proliferation of AI, CTV, cord cutting, digital advertising, gene editing, gene sequencing, Ecom, 5G, and all the other booming businesses in the US.

We are still in the early innings of this economic expansion.

This is what MAGA is.

Central bank printing has nothing to due with the transition to cloud, the proliferation of AI, CTV, cord cutting, digital advertising, gene editing, gene sequencing, Ecom, 5G, and all the other booming businesses in the US.

We are still in the early innings of this economic expansion.

Neither does creepy Joe.

You NAZIS wished for that double dip for Obama's 2 terms and it never happened no matter how much GOPQ governors tried to cause it. But Tramp did it in less than one term.
Inflation is upon us just as I predicted...you can't borrow this kind of money without weakening the dollar...how many times do you have to live it to learn it?....notice how the news is right back to the news of the Obama days?...war in the middle east....Iran on its march....inflation and unemployment skyrocket....cyber attacks....dems are dems and dems do what dems do...they ruin the average Americans lives....
Were do you get these false statements, misguided bullshit and lying?

Point out the lies and false statements...don't just accuse and run...you convince no one that way...so come on coward...tell me what was false or dishonest in my statement and back it up with facts....bet you can't....

Point out the lies and false statements...don't just accuse and run...you convince no one that way...so come on coward...tell me what was false or dishonest in my statement and back it up with facts....bet you can't....
Okay first one, explain how government borrowing by our government weakens the dollar.

Okay first one, explain how government borrowing by our government weakens the dollar.
We don't borrow money from ourselves we borrow it from the world bank or China or Japan anywhere we can get a decent int rate.....so when we borrow money and the loan has interests to be paid it makes our dollar weaker...we take the purchase power from the dollar...so everything costs more and there is where you get the kind of inflation we are experiencing today with $80 dollar sheets of plywood and 3 plus dollar a gal gas....

We don't borrow money from ourselves we borrow it from the world bank or China or Japan anywhere we can get a decent int rate.....so when we borrow money and the loan has interests to be paid it makes our dollar weaker...we take the purchase power from the dollar...so everything costs more and there is where you get the kind of inflation we are experiencing today with $80 dollar sheets of plywood and 3 plus dollar a gal gas....
We get higher wood and gas prices from supply chain issues from increased demand or supply shock.

Our borrowing is how much of GDP?

We get higher wood and gas prices from supply chain issues from increased demand or supply shock.

There is no shortage of gas or wood.....that's the frustrating part of what Joe has done in just 4 months....its a damn shame...I know you will never agree with me...but one day down the road you will get up and look around and you will reminisce fondly these days....

Dude this troll thread created by the biggest troll boy of usmb was dying and you freaking had to go and bring it back to the top.:mad:

There is no shortage of gas or wood.....that's the frustrating part of what Joe has done in just 4 months....its a damn shame...I know you will never agree with me...but one day down the road you will get up and look around and you will reminisce fondly these days....
You are retarded.
Look at the inflation readings, while they have increased they are still not running too hot.
Lumber has increased due to supply and demand issues, demand is very very high right now and outpacing supply because the economy is booming, so prices go up.

It has little to do with the dollar, basically you just make up nonsense and lies to fit a fake narrative.

Enjoy the Biden boom, +6.4% GDP today !!!

You are retarded.
Look at the inflation readings, while they have increased they are still not running too hot.
Lumber has increased due to supply and demand issues, demand is very very high right now and outpacing supply because the economy is booming, so prices go up.

It has little to do with the dollar, basically you just make up nonsense and lies to fit a fake narrative.

Enjoy the Biden boom, +6.4% GDP today !!!
There is not a lumber shortage...whoever told you that is wrong....gas is way up food is way up....no shortage there....does someone do your shopping for you?...are you on food stamps?...give it up...inflation is rocking high right now due to the dollar losing value....we can not borrow money like this and escape inflation....

Forum List

Back