The Big Sky (1952)

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras

A cracker this one.

A party of trappers make their way up the Missouri to trade with the Blackfoot tribe. Their protection is a captured Blackfoot Princess who they are taking back to her people. Its a different sort of 50s western. The natives are not the baddies and in fact they are seen as hospitable and keen to trade with the white men.

The real baddies are the rival trading company who plot to bring down our boys. Its a common theme of most Hollywood films. The dislike of the over mighty and the belief in the little guy. (See Shane and others) That must be a deeply held trait in the US.

Kirk Douglas was made for the role but Dewey Martin seems a bit wooden. Ive never really heard of him.
Arthur Hunnicut is really the standout in the cast. You could picture him 200 years ago fighting all comers to explore the continent.

I think it was free on the youtube a little while back.

This was a fascinating time in American history. The studios should be making a film about the renowned Welsh explorers Lewis and Clark. Ive seen the Fred MacMurray film but its due a remake,

A cracker this one.

A party of trappers make their way up the Missouri to trade with the Blackfoot tribe. Their protection is a captured Blackfoot Princess who they are taking back to her people. Its a different sort of 50s western. The natives are not the baddies and in fact they are seen as hospitable and keen to trade with the white men.

The real baddies are the rival trading company who plot to bring down our boys. Its a common theme of most Hollywood films. The dislike of the over mighty and the belief in the little guy. (See Shane and others) That must be a deeply held trait in the US.

Kirk Douglas was made for the role but Dewey Martin seems a bit wooden. Ive never really heard of him.
Arthur Hunnicut is really the standout in the cast. You could picture him 200 years ago fighting all comers to explore the continent.

This was a fascinating time in American history. The studios should be making a film about the renowned Welsh explorers Lewis and Clark. Ive seen the Fred MacMurray film but its due a remake,
Lewis is part Welsh, by his father. his mother was English.

Clark was English, on both sides, with a possible bit of Scots ancestry.

Amazing how you claim every explorer you like is Welsh.

Hunnicutt was born for the roles he played, perfectly cast as the rural hick.

If you liked that movie, you should look up Northwest Passage (1940) - IMDb

A cracker this one.

Lewis is part Welsh, by his father. his mother was English.

Clark was English, on both sides, with a possible bit of Scots ancestry.

Amazing how you claim every explorer you like is Welsh.

Hunnicutt was born for the roles he played, perfectly cast as the rural hick.

If you liked that movie, you should look up Northwest Passage (1940) - IMDb
Well Lewis was the main man and far more deserving of a statue than Columbus. Cmon Will, stop trying to cancel the Welsh.

Ive not seen Northwest Passage for some time. I can vividly remember the guy who went mad and carried round an Indians head in a bag. Thats the film isnt it ?

A cracker this one.

Not to be confused with The Big Trees, another Kirk Douglas movie also from 1952 but not nearly as good as The Big Sky. And I believe both Lewis and Clark were born in pre-revolution Virginia when it was still part of the colonies. You must be referring to ancestry.

A cracker this one.

I think we should discuss the atrocities of the British throughout history as well.

BTW, I grew up in that area of Montana.
I saw the movie when I was very young.
My uncle was a member of the Blackfoot tribe and lived on the Blackfoot reservation just North of Missoula.

When he moved to Washington State he was a truck driver.
I went on a route with him once when I was on leave from the Navy...delivering Bartlett Pears to market.
Worked my ass off.

The girl who played the Princess was an actual Cherokee. She was working as a model when cast and this was her only film. She was appalled with the filmmaking process.

A cracker this one.

It has been so many years since I have seen this one.
Seeing the title reminds me of another fine western, "The Big County" An exciting movie by William Wilder with a great cast, Gergory Peck, Jean Simmons, Charlton Heston, Carol Baker, Burl Ives, Charles Bickford, and Chuck Conners. It's available free on TCM. I think Amazon Prime also.

1629508709671.png

Last edited:

Forum List

Back