The Blinding of Isaac Woodward (PBS)

candycorn

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2009
Deep State Plant.
Watching it on PBS (The American Experience) right now. I had never heard his name before. Its about the blinding of a decorated WWII Veteran in the Deep South and the aftermath. From the previews, I thought it was a homage to the Freedom Riders who, in 1961, tried to integrate the bus stops and were met with resistance. Woodard's blinding happened in 1946.

Also highlighted in the documentary right now is the contributions of Orson Welles. (SP?).
I usually watch the TV with closed captioning on although my hearing is fine. What really strikes me about Welles is how short his sentences are. Short and direct. Not a syllable wasted.

Watching it on PBS (The American Experience) right now. I had never heard his name before. Its about the blinding of a decorated WWII Veteran in the Deep South and the aftermath. From the previews, I thought it was a homage to the Freedom Riders who, in 1961, tried to integrate the bus stops and were met with resistance. Woodard's blinding happened in 1946.

Also highlighted in the documentary right now is the contributions of Orson Welles. (SP?).
I usually watch the TV with closed captioning on although my hearing is fine. What really strikes me about Welles is how short his sentences are. Short and direct. Not a syllable wasted.

Thank you for posting this.

I have just returned from reading the Wikipedia article.

From what I gathered, Mr. Woodard was considered by the bus driver & the cops as being too "[the "u" word]. So they decided to teach him to remember his place.

This was truly a horrific example of genuine police brutality, and the fact that no one was punished for what they did to him is an indictment of how African Americans could be treated in the South back then.

This is 2021.

Thank goodness such cases of police brutality and cases of outrageous injustice toward African Americans are very rare today.

The lawyers are already in trouble with the bar over the terminology of so-called "legal blindness."
Sight is unalienable. If by some miracle sight may be restored to the blind, then it is spoken of in the manner of the blind receiving their sight, that is, receiving the sight that is already unalienably theirs by virtue of the perfection of God's creation, in the right manner of speaking according to the words of Jesus.
Nor are we to stop short at the refusal to accept blindness as a legal condition, but it is the universal obligation of the seeing, and especially those of us who are literate and learned, that we should perform the good works to accomplish the miracles of Jesus in such faith in order that natural sight may indeed be restored to the blind, along with other miracles.

If the blind do not see, the lame do not walk, the lepers are not cleansed, the deaf do not hear, and the gospel is not preached to the poor, then these are signs that there is no faith among the wealthy, privileged, seeing, learned and literate amongst the medical and legal community of the district.

Forum List

Back