Debate Now The Case for Reparations Goes Beyond Slavery....Pt.2

You want reparations?

Bring me a negro who was a slave and I'll bring you a white guy to pay him.

Fuck a bunch of reparations bullshit...
Unfortuntately for you, the issue goes beyond slavery and includes this very second.

Unfortunately for me?

How you figure that, Sambo? I'm not the one whining about how somebody owes me something...
And this is money owed NOW, for things done in OUR LIFETIMES.

You're not owed dick. Suck on that...
Look cracker, I don't whine. This is a study from Citigroup. There are numerous studies in this regard. You wo't read them because they burst your little saltine lie. We are owed, that's a fact.

What study?

And why the fuck would I care what Citigroup has to say about it? Why would I let a study by them supersede my own experiences with lowly porch negroes like yourself?

You want reparations?

Bring me a negro who was a slave and I'll bring you a white guy to pay him.

Fuck a bunch of reparations bullshit...
Unfortuntately for you, the issue goes beyond slavery and includes this very second.

Unfortunately for me?

How you figure that, Sambo? I'm not the one whining about how somebody owes me something...
And this is money owed NOW, for things done in OUR LIFETIMES.

You're not owed dick. Suck on that...
Look cracker, I don't whine. This is a study from Citigroup. There are numerous studies in this regard. You wo't read them because they burst your little saltine lie. We are owed, that's a fact.

So who the fuck is Citigroup to me?

You're not owed a fucking thing. In fact, you should be kissing our feet for deciding that we didn't need slaves anymore.

Go fuck off...

No one alive today was a slave and one alive today owned slaves here in this country. Start giving those race baiting lazy criminal bums reparations and there will be blood.

This is an Invite Only thread. If your member name does not appear in the alert call list -- DO NOT POST HERE -- do not even use the rating buttons on posts in this thread.

There are way too many misguided and ignorant notions about reparations. Reparations would be demanded from the UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT for policies enacted by the UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT. The policies created by the UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT were not done to exclude single individuals, nor did single individuals decide to implement the policies by themselves.

The rules-This is a policy discussion. We will discuss studies/laws/policies and the implications of such on black communities. Nothing else.

Kat
katsteve2012
NewsVine_Mariyam
MarcATL
Asclepias
flacaltenn
Crepitus
Dont Taz Me Bro
Erinwltr
OldLady
Paul Essen
Meister
Coyote

OK I'll do this again.
History of reparations in the United States
Reparations—a system of redress for egregious injustices—are not foreign to the United States. Native Americans have received land and billions of dollars for various benefits and programs for being forcibly exiled from their native lands. For Japanese Americans, $1.5 billion was paid to those who were interned during World War II. Additionally, the United States, via the Marshall Plan, helped to ensure that Jews received reparations for the Holocaust, including making various investments over time. In 1952, West Germany agreed to pay 3.45 billion Deutsche Marks to Holocaust survivors.

Black Americans are the only group that has not received reparations for state-sanctioned racial discrimination, while slavery afforded some white families the ability to accrue tremendous wealth. And, we must note that American slavery was particularly brutal. About 15 percent of the enslaved shipped from Western Africa died during transport. The enslaved were regularly beaten and lynched for frivolous infractions. Slavery also disrupted families as one in three marriages were split up and one in five children were separated from their parents. The case for reparations can be made on economic, social, and moral grounds. The United States had multiple opportunities to atone for slavery—each a missed chance to make the American Dream a reality—but has yet to undertake significant action.

Missed policy opportunities to atone for slavery with reparations
40 Acres and a Mule

The first major opportunity that the United States had and where it should have atoned for slavery was right after the Civil War. Union leaders including General William Sherman concluded that each Black family should receive 40 acres. Sherman signed Field Order 15 and allocated 400,000 acres of confiscated Confederate land to Black families. Additionally, some families were to receive mules left over from the war, hence 40 acres and a mule.

Yet, after President Abraham Lincoln’s assassination, President Andrew Johnson reversed Field Order 15 and returned land back to former slave owners. Instead of giving Blacks the means to support themselves, the federal government empowered former enslavers. For example, in Washington D.C., slave owners were actually paid reparations for lost property—the formally enslaved. This practice was also common in nearby states. Many Black Americans with limited work options returned as sharecroppers to till the same land for the very slave owners to whom they were once enslaved. Slave owners not only made money off the chattel enslavement of Black Americans, but they then made money multiple times over off the land that the formerly enslaved had no choice but to work.

The New Deal

There’s never a bad time to do what’s morally right, but the United States has had prime opportunities to atone for slavery. In the 1930s, the United States was reeling from the 1929 stock market crash and was firmly engulfed in the Great Depression. The Franklin Roosevelt administration implemented a series of policies as part of his New Deal legislation, estimated to cost roughly $50 billion then, to catapult the country out of depression. Current estimates price the New Deal at about $50 trillion.

Two particular policies of the New Deal fell short in redressing American’s racial wrongs—the G.I. Bill and Social Security. Though white and Black Americans fought in WWII, Black veterans could not redeem their post-war benefits like their white peers. While the G.I. Bill was mandated federally, it was implemented locally. The presence of racial housing covenants and redlining among local municipalities prohibited Blacks from utilizing federal benefits. White soldiers were afforded the opportunity to build wealth by sending themselves and their children to college and by obtaining housing and small business grants.

Regarding Social Security, two key professions that would have improved equity in America were excluded from the legislation—domestic and farm workers. These omissions effectively excluded 60 percent of Blacks across the U.S. and 75 percent in southern states who worked in these occupations. Roosevelt bargained these exclusionary provisions in the legislation on the backs of Black veterans and workers in order to propel mostly white America out of the Great Depression.

There are other policies and practices that contributed to racial wealth gap. Government-sanctioned discrimination related to the 1862 Homestead Act, redlining, restrictive covenants, and convict leasing blocked Blacks from the ability to gain wealth at similar rates as whites. Separate from slavery, damages should be awarded to Black people who were harmed by these policies and practices.

Good Morning America

'We need help,' says Chicago mayor after 4 killed​

in 2nd mass shooting in Chicago in 4 days​

I don't owe any Negro jackshit. If they don't like it they can kiss my Cracker ass.

They owe me for all the money spent on having to deal with their crime and filthy ass welfare mentality.

They owe me big time for supporting the Democrats that have fucked up my country.

Forum List

Back