The Cat Cafe, Coming To SF

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
America Is Finally Getting Its First Cat Cafes

You want some kitten with that coffee?

The San Francisco Bay Area is getting the United States’ first and second cat cafes, a feline phenomenon by way of Japan that reimagines cafes as oases where patrons can kick back with a hot drink and a resident cat. Because who hasn’t felt their earl grey would go great with some ambient purring?

The two spots, KitTea in San Francisco and Cat Town Cafe in Oakland, are both in the planning stages but will function slightly differently. Health codes allowing, the two cafes are hoping for 2014 openings.

KitTea will be a halfway home for adoptable cats and has partnered with two shelters to populate the cafe. Its founders haven’t nailed down a location yet but aim to provide a relaxing alternative to bustling coffee shops and bring the stress-relieving properties of pet ownership -- and catnip-infused tea -- to visitors.

:clap2:

But we also need a puppy cafe too.:)

Last edited:
This is a great idea.

But it brought me to Ernest Hemingway
h-HEMINGWAY-CAT-768x768.jpg

hemingway.jpg

Years ago, I wanted to open a small coffee shop in an empty house located on the main drag where I live, facing the bay. Had a fireplace and a HUGE front room. I wanted it to have coffees from all over the world and newspapers/magazines from all over the world, too. And of course...cats lounging in front of the fireplace on braided rugs, dogs hanging out next to easy chairs, fenced yard full of blooms. Bedrooms were to be turned into little nooks and crannies for oodles of books. This was way before the internet exploded on the scene. And of course, there were the health laws about animals where food or drink was being served. So...it never came to pass.

I've read about these cafes existing in other countries. Makes sense the first in the US is in San Francisco. SF just has that kind of atmosphere.

Until someone complains of allergies and instead of going to a cafe that has no animals, they insist THAT cafe get rid of theirs. You know it will happen.:cool:

Forum List

Back