The day the cars stopped breaking down

miketx

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2015

by

Me​

It's a shame really, because all the mechanics ain't got no work. Just yesterday I was passing by Rick's Auto Repair and door knob sales and his shop was empty. Rick was standing in the doorway with that sad look on his face that you get when you know you've lost something but you don't know how to get it back. I guess door knob sales aren't so good. Funny thing though, what with all the cars not breaking down, I don't miss fixing them. And no, I don't have to sell door knobs to make a living.

I think it must have been new year's day when it happened. when the cars stopped breaking down, that is. Even my cat George noticed it. You see, whenever I would come home from work, George would be waiting up for me to be sure that I got there, because sometimes my old truck would break down and I would be late. Now he's always asleep when I get home. That's how I know he knows. Sometimes he cocks an eye to make sure it's me, then he just goes back to sleep.

I still try to do maintenance on my truck though, but the last time I changed the oil, it was still like new. Heck, even the oil in our cars don't break down. So I just drive it from home, to work, and to the store. But, you still gotta put gas in it. Some folks think the oil companies have finger in all this. You can buy tools real cheap now too, even those big name brand ones that used to cost 40 dollars for a wrench. What with all the cars not breaking down, I guess the tool companies are hurting.

People were happy at first, seeing how nobody ever likes having to pay somebody to fix their car, but not so much now. I think cars not breaking down anymore is hurting a lot more stuff than they first thought it would. They call this the trickledown effect. You know, something happens and its effect slowly trickles down through all facets of society until everyone is affected.

Car lots aren't doing much either because nobody needs to buy a car after they got tired of their old one always being in the shop. They got a 2 year old Corvette in town advertised for 1200.00 dollars. Bet they'll take 800. And did I mention nobody buys auto parts anymore? Yeah, go figure. Cars don't break down so who needs an alternator or starter? Not me.

There was a news program on TV last week about all the mechanics being out of work and how it was hurting the economy and stuff, and they had some ex-mechanics on the program being interviewed. They were all saying how they couldn't understand what happened, and that they couldn't make a living now and didn't know what to do. Then later they had some oil company guy is on the program saying oil sales are down. Junk yards are going out of business too, it seems.

Some scientist types were postulating that the comet that recently passed by very close to us had some kind of effect on our magnetic field because of some funky kind of forces they measured in the comet, but they don't really know how or why. One of them said something about the comet passing so close, and the distortion on our magnetic field was so powerful, that it created an inter-spatial blending on certain mechanical devices so that they sort of exist just a little bit in and out of our space-time reality. He said it was like you had one foot on Earth and the other on an Einstein-Rosen bridge, whatever that is. I don't think that I ever seen one anyway. He said you could still use the affected machines but they weren't subject to the rules of the here and now. I wish I could have asked him how he knew all this but he was in the TV. You notice they always have those people that know everything in the TV or radio so you can't ask them anything?

So I suppose I picked the right time to get out of the mechanic business and start doing what I do now, but then that's a whole different can of wormholes.

by

Me​

It's a shame really, because all the mechanics ain't got no work. Just yesterday I was passing by Rick's Auto Repair and door knob sales and his shop was empty. Rick was standing in the doorway with that sad look on his face that you get when you know you've lost something but you don't know how to get it back. I guess door knob sales aren't so good. Funny thing though, what with all the cars not breaking down, I don't miss fixing them. And no, I don't have to sell door knobs to make a living.

I think it must have been new year's day when it happened. when the cars stopped breaking down, that is. Even my cat George noticed it. You see, whenever I would come home from work, George would be waiting up for me to be sure that I got there, because sometimes my old truck would break down and I would be late. Now he's always asleep when I get home. That's how I know he knows. Sometimes he cocks an eye to make sure it's me, then he just goes back to sleep.

I still try to do maintenance on my truck though, but the last time I changed the oil, it was still like new. Heck, even the oil in our cars don't break down. So I just drive it from home, to work, and to the store. But, you still gotta put gas in it. Some folks think the oil companies have finger in all this. You can buy tools real cheap now too, even those big name brand ones that used to cost 40 dollars for a wrench. What with all the cars not breaking down, I guess the tool companies are hurting.

People were happy at first, seeing how nobody ever likes having to pay somebody to fix their car, but not so much now. I think cars not breaking down anymore is hurting a lot more stuff than they first thought it would. They call this the trickledown effect. You know, something happens and its effect slowly trickles down through all facets of society until everyone is affected.

Car lots aren't doing much either because nobody needs to buy a car after they got tired of their old one always being in the shop. They got a 2 year old Corvette in town advertised for 1200.00 dollars. Bet they'll take 800. And did I mention nobody buys auto parts anymore? Yeah, go figure. Cars don't break down so who needs an alternator or starter? Not me.

There was a news program on TV last week about all the mechanics being out of work and how it was hurting the economy and stuff, and they had some ex-mechanics on the program being interviewed. They were all saying how they couldn't understand what happened, and that they couldn't make a living now and didn't know what to do. Then later they had some oil company guy is on the program saying oil sales are down. Junk yards are going out of business too, it seems.

Some scientist types were postulating that the comet that recently passed by very close to us had some kind of effect on our magnetic field because of some funky kind of forces they measured in the comet, but they don't really know how or why. One of them said something about the comet passing so close, and the distortion on our magnetic field was so powerful, that it created an inter-spatial blending on certain mechanical devices so that they sort of exist just a little bit in and out of our space-time reality. He said it was like you had one foot on Earth and the other on an Einstein-Rosen bridge, whatever that is. I don't think that I ever seen one anyway. He said you could still use the affected machines but they weren't subject to the rules of the here and now. I wish I could have asked him how he knew all this but he was in the TV. You notice they always have those people that know everything in the TV or radio so you can't ask them anything?

So I suppose I picked the right time to get out of the mechanic business and start doing what I do now, but then that's a whole different can of wormholes.
I drive a Honda....so I know what you're talking about.

by

Me​

I made a good living wrenching. The nice thing about it is when something breaks--and it will--you still know how to fix it. The man who convinced me to be a machinist/mechanic told me that "They can never starve you out, if they try, you can always make a tin bill and pick shit with the chickens" LOL

• Banned

by

Me​

I made a good living wrenching. The nice thing about it is when something breaks--and it will--you still know how to fix it. The man who convinced me to be a machinist/mechanic told me that "They can never starve you out, if they try, you can always make a tin bill and pick shit with the chickens" LOL
I worked on that crap 40 years, mostly auto trans.

T

by

Me​

I worked on that crap 40 years, mostly auto trans.
The best friend I ever had was a life long Ford tranny mechanic. Sure miss him, he was a great friend.

by

Me​

That world of yours is REAL if you live in Cuba. No cars sold there after about 1962 or so.. And they is all running fine.... :cool:

Forum List

Back