Zone1 The difference between Hillel and Jesus’ “Golden Rule”

You mean the '2nd Temple' built by the Persians that set the Babylonians up as a puppet state on their frontier and then made themselves the only 'real Jews' and the 'master race' of Jews? I guess you've never read Ezra and somehow think they were never corrupt until the Romans came along a few hundred years later and pissed on their wheaties or something.
wrong again---I am very familiar with Ezra and the controversies that
he wrought. As to the issues of "which college is better" have no fear--
they were and are no more important than the disputes between
Army and Navy during football season. Have you ever attended a
pre-game pep rally. Now tell me about your jelly bean version of the
"temple cult" -----and talmud bavli vs talmud yerushalami

Are you familiar with the Book of Tobit? Protestant Christians removed it from their Bible, but it remains in the Old Testament of the Catholic Bible as it was a story included in the scrolls of Jesus' day. It was written about two hundred years before Jesus was born, so also before the birth of Hillel, and is said to have been very popular among Jews.

The story was set at the time Jews were living in exile, and some turned to the worship of idols/foreign god. Tobit and his family remained faithful to God and His Commandments, and was an example of how faithful Jews should be/should have been living. Chapter 4 includes a Father's instructions. Verse 15 is astounding, and the verses following it are amazing as well. He tells his son:

(14) - Do to no one what you yourself dislike....
It continues with advice on what to do.

Since both Hillel and Jesus were traditional Jews who stood by Mosaic teachings and pointed to Jews who, even in times of exile, lived their faith. Further, if Hillel was calling to mind a verse in Tobit's story (Do to no one what you yourself dislike) he would expect his students/disciples to call to mind the verses following that instruct what one should do. Could it be both Hillel and Jesus were influenced by an earlier writer, the author of the Book of Tobit?
Of course---they were both influenced by prior "wise guys" What is
your point? In Jewish tradition Hillel is not DIVINE ---he isn't even a
"prophet" -----he is just a talmudist, so prolific that people refer to "the
school of Hillel" which is HIS STUFF. He was very popular in his own day
in Jerusalem---his day slightly preceding and probably overlapping a little,
that of Jesus. People still quote Hillel (as did Jesus back in the day)

wrong again---I am very familiar with Ezra and the controversies that
he wrought. As to the issues of "which college is better" have no fear--
they were and are no more important than the disputes between
Army and Navy during football season. Have you ever attended a
pre-game pep rally. Now tell me about your jelly bean version of the
"temple cult" -----and talmud bavli vs talmud yerushalami

So you think the Talmud was a thing in those days, do you? So you're not really educated on it at all. Okay.

The PEanut Gallery can amuse themselves by looking up which of the two came first; on is a couple hundred years older than the other, and then there is the Samaritans Talmud. They can also look up the written Torah as finished by Moses and then look up the mystical 'Oral Torah', fabricated long after. Then they can ignore Rosie's weird popcorn scholarship.

Hint: Jesus rejected the mythic fictional l 'Oral Torah' and followed the Old Testament's guidance, i.e. Moses' written Torah was complete as written, no 'Top Double Secret Speshul Torah Just For Babylonian Jews' need apply.

Last edited:
Hillel had something important to say. Jesus quoted him and was given the credit. I said "given" i didn't say "took".
not exactly. The New Testament is chock full of Hillel on the lips of
Jesus. Are you suggesting that the average christian KNOWS?
I don't remember Jesus saying "HILLEL SAID......" I don't even remember
a mention of Hillel in the NT.

So you think the Talmud was a thing in those days, do you? So you're not really educated on it at all. Okay.
The Talmud Bavli of today is a collection of the RECORDS of the
of the meetings of the scholars of that time and the Talmud Yerushalmi
is a collection. At that time they actually recorded the debates and
the practice continued. As a genuinely transmitted record---it probably
beats the nicean NT by a LONG SHOT

Of course---they were both influenced by prior "wise guys" What is
your point? In Jewish tradition Hillel is not DIVINE ---he isn't even a
"prophet" -----he is just a talmudist, so prolific that people refer to "the
school of Hillel" which is HIS STUFF. He was very popular in his own day
in Jerusalem---his day slightly preceding and probably overlapping a little,
that of Jesus. People still quote Hillel (as did Jesus back in the day)

Both were 'taught' by the Pentateuch, that's why they're 'similar'.

Hillel The Elder is the most quoted in the Mishna, which is not the same thing as being the only scholar cited.

lol at 'Talmudist'. Funny stuff. You can find out why on your own.

So you think the Talmud was a thing in those days, do you?
Then you misunderstand what the talmud is.
The PEanut Gallery can amuse themselves by looking up which of the two came first; on is a couple hundred years older than the other, and then there is the Samaritans Talmud.
I haven't read the Samaritan Talmud. Can you privide a link to a text (or a scholarly edition) so I can look at it?
the mystical 'Oral Torah', fabricated long after.
according to you. That's OK.
Hint: Jesus rejected the mythic fictional l 'Oral Torah' and followed the Old Testament's guidance, i.e. Moses' written Torah was complete as written, no 'Top Double Secret Speshul Torah Just For Babylonian Jews' need apply.
actually, that's not true. In fact, he explicitly endorsed the talmud and its teaching and teachers.

Are you familiar with the Book of Tobit? Protestant Christians removed it from their Bible, but it remains in the Old Testament of the Catholic Bible as it was a story included in the scrolls of Jesus' day. It was written about two hundred years before Jesus was born, so also before the birth of Hillel, and is said to have been very popular among Jews.

The story was set at the time Jews were living in exile, and some turned to the worship of idols/foreign god. Tobit and his family remained faithful to God and His Commandments, and was an example of how faithful Jews should be/should have been living. Chapter 4 includes a Father's instructions. Verse 15 is astounding, and the verses following it are amazing as well. He tells his son:

(14) - Do to no one what you yourself dislike....
It continues with advice on what to do.

Since both Hillel and Jesus were traditional Jews who stood by Mosaic teachings and pointed to Jews who, even in times of exile, lived their faith. Further, if Hillel was calling to mind a verse in Tobit's story (Do to no one what you yourself dislike) he would expect his students/disciples to call to mind the verses following that instruct what one should do. Could it be both Hillel and Jesus were influenced by an earlier writer, the author of the Book of Tobit?
That is a fascinating story, and one I hadn’t heard before. I will do some research, and also ask my rabbi about it. Thanks!

Then you misunderstand what the talmud is.

I haven't read the Samaritan Talmud. Can you privide a link to a text (or a scholarly edition) so I can look at it?

according to you. That's OK.

actually, that's not true. In fact, he explicitly endorsed the talmud and its teaching and teachers.

Was Rosie one of your students? Asking for a friend.

Both were 'taught' by the Pentateuch, that's why they're 'similar'.

Hillel The Elder is the most quoted in the Mishna, which is not the same thing as being the only scholar cited.

lol at 'Talmudist'. Funny stuff. You can find out why on your own.
where did I suggest that Hillel is the "ONLY" scholar quoted? The Mishna is
commentary. TALMUDIST is an accurate description----you are very confused---since the very words 'MISHNA' and 'TALMUD' throw you into a tailspin.
btw ---"gospel" is even funnier

where did I suggest that Hillel is the "ONLY" scholar quoted? The Mishna is
commentary. TALMUDIST is an accurate description----you are very confused---since the very words 'MISHNA' and 'TALMUD' throw you into a tailspin.
btw ---"gospel" is even funnier

Yes, we get it, you have no idea what the Talmud is. Okay. A lot of Jews don't have a clue either.

Yes, we get it, you have no idea what the Talmud is. Okay. A lot of Jews don't have a clue either.
Most jews don't and no christians do. but I do. Your literature is
chock full of blatant lies about those books and the crap is credible
in your addled minds. Tell me the truth----how many times is JESUS
mentioned in the talmud---bavli or yerushalami?

Forum List

Back