The greatest last quote in a movie. Perhaps my favourite, "Judgement at Nuremberg" 1961.

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
I rewatched it recently for the first time in full since I was a young lad. I was up late one night and this old black and white movie came on and I was mezmerized for some reason. I watched the entire movie and it is over 3 hours long.

I didn't fully appreciate the movie and I thought it was just a drama without a basis on reality. The last quote stuck with me and for those who have seen it they will understand.

As one of the judges visits one of the accused in prison who was also a judge in civil-life Germany which places more context to the quote. I still firmly believe there is a critical message in this quote which every generation should learn from:

Janning: "Those people, those millions of people, I never knew it would come to that.
You must believe it.
You must believe it.

Judge Haywood: "Herr Janning, it came to that the first time you sentenced a man to death you knew to be innocent.

A fantastic quote that says so much.

I also think the quote at the end of "12 Little Indians" is an honourable mention. If I recall, "never...trust...a woman". In the context of the movie it is both funny and factual.

Forum List

Back