The Last Laugh John Cleese is hopeless

MisterBeale

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2012
John Cleese is hopeless

“Please tell me a good ‘woke’ joke.”

In an appearance on the Daily Beast’s The Last Laugh Podcast, Cleese noted that woke people simply do not understand the intricacies of comedy.

“There’s plenty of people who are PC now who have absolutely zero sense of humour. I would love to debate, in a friendly way, a couple of ‘woke’ people in front of an audience. And I think the first thing I would say is, please tell me a good ‘woke’ joke,” Cleese urged.

“What they don’t understand is that there’s two types of teasing,” Cleese continued, noting that “There’s really nasty teasing, which is horrible, and we shouldn’t do it, full stop. But the other type of teasing is affectionate. You can tease people hugely affectionately and it’s a bonding mechanism.”

“All humour is critical. You cannot get laughs out of perfect human beings,” Cleese continued, adding that “If you’ve got someone up on the screen who is perfect, intelligent and kind and flexible and a good person, there’s nothing funny about that. So we only laugh at people’s frailties, but that’s not cruel. You can laugh at people’s frailties in very funny and generous ways.”

He was a decent comic writer, but he's a Godless, Anti-American. I've heard him make fun of American hillbillies and the like and pretend America is full of fools, living in his Bubble without a clue about his own nations deficiencies. Living in the past, of British royalty and dinner parties that the East Londoners don't attend. Too thick to understand really.

Boorish behaviour exists many places. Anyone with half a brain understands this. For some reason he pleads ignorance and arrogance.

He was a decent comic writer, but he's a Godless, Anti-American. I've heard him make fun of American hillbillies and the like and pretend America is full of fools, living in his Bubble without a clue about his own nations deficiencies. Living in the past, of British royalty and dinner parties that the East Londoners don't attend. Too thick to understand really.

Boorish behaviour exists many places. Anyone with half a brain understands this. For some reason he pleads ignorance and arrogance.
hillbillies are fun to make fun of,,, and we are full of fools,,
and he has spoken many time about the problems in the UK,,

Well, I saw a different side of him. On a British talk show called Graham Norton which is a BBC channel which we get here. He was fairly offensive to the Americans and was saying it with a straight face. Took a shot at religion in particular if I recall correctly.

A Fish Called Wanda was one of my favourite movies of all time. Loved it from the time I was a kid. His personality leaves something to be desired.

I found it particularly interesting that he doesn't, and hasn't cared for politics. Not in Python days, and not during the Faulty towers. Of course, he tended to be very establishmentarian. . . and yet. . .

. . . as a comedian, this whole PC culture is rubbing him the wrong way, just like it does with Gervais.

I found it particularly interesting that he doesn't, and hasn't cared for politics. Not in Python days, and not during the Faulty towers. Of course, he tended to be very establishmentarian. . . and yet. . .

. . . as a comedian, this whole PC culture is rubbing him the wrong way, just like it does with Gervais.
I have yet to come to terms with the current dementia with the PC and SJW crap...

I would hope he would take this position. Many Brits have, in the face of some who tell them to "get in line and follow orders", provided some pushback. History has shown that is the average Brit acts in pursuit of freedom. They aren't as rebellious and hellbound on individual liberty as the French or Americans, especially with a Head Monarchy, but, they certainly had a history of fighting oppression. The greatest gift comedians can give at this time, is the gift of defiance.

I don't care if he wants to make fun of Hillbillies, I just don't like hearing some take shots at America, especially, like so many Canadians; they seem unwilling to understand the differences. Maybe some will understand it now as they face calls to shut down their lives due to the pandemic. Mick Jagger bought a place in Florida during this pandemic. I wonder why...

People want liberty. They make fun of others who live their own way, yes, with guns, God and all. It isn't until they are under the thumb themselves that they appreciate WHY some take this position. The U.S sought independence for a reason. The citizens of Monarchy States understand it more and more now, even as their own governments try to paint Americans as the outliers.

New Topics

Forum List

Back