The Outlaw Jose Wales

JoeMoma

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2014
This is not really a review because I expect most have already seen the movie. Vintage Clint Eastwood. It was one of my father's favorite movies and I remember watching it with him. My Dad has been gone for almost 20 years now, so watching Jose Wales may become a Father's Day tradition for me.

This is not really a review because I expect most have already seen the movie. Vintage Clint Eastwood. It was one of my father's favorite movies and I remember watching it with him. My Dad has been gone for almost 20 years now, so watching Jose Wales may become a Father's Day tradition for me.
Absolutely one of his best. Also "High Plains Drifter", which was essentially Clint's contribution to "The Twilight Zone".

One of my favorite movies of all time. The movie is an epic. "I guess we all died a little in that damn war."

Also love 'Pale Rider' and 'Paint Your Wagon.'

Absolutely one of his best. Also "High Plains Drifter", which was essentially Clint's contribution to "The Twilight Zone".
High Plains Drifter wouldn't pass the #Me Too test today since the hero played by Eastwood rapes the main female character. But I agree, great movie.

There's no way else to say it. Clint and his movies are a national treasure. "Unforgiven" might be my favorite although I love all the old school Westerns too.
Without a doubt his crowing achievement of Westerns

And my favorite line, as he has his gun pointed at someone who is begging for their life, "Deserv'ens got noth'in to do with it".

Wales: "when I get to liking folks they ain't around too long". The old Indian: "I noticed when you get to disliking folks they ain't around too long either".

If you like this kind of movie, it's good but not his best. Although I don't care much for Eastwood off screen, he is a fine actor who almost always delivers a good performance plus he's an excellent director. I like Pale Rider the best of his westerns. However, I think giving up the westerns was a good move because his best movies were yet to come.

Last edited:
One of my favorite movies of all time. The movie is an epic. "I guess we all died a little in that damn war."

Also love 'Pale Rider' and 'Paint Your Wagon.'
As a movie, Paint Your Wagon was a bit of mess but it was fun watching Eastwood and Marvin trying sing. However, in spite of all it's shortcoming, I did enjoy the movie.

where eagles dare my fave wonderful

Pale Rider and High Plains Drifter had a unusual supernatural quality. Dead heroes conjured up to make things right. Strange for a western but it worked.

Pale Rider and High Plains Drifter had a unusual supernatural quality. Dead heroes conjured up to make things right. Strange for a western but it worked.
I agree. It works because Eastwood produced directed, and starred in the movie. He knew what he wanted in the movie and he got it. Often there are disagreements between the actor, producer and director which leads to compromises and compromises often lead to crappy movies. Just about every movie that Eastwood directed and starred in was an excellent movie. As someone said, what happens behind camera is just as important as what happens in front of the camera.

When you look at consistently successful actors over last 50 years such as Clinton Eastwood, Denzel Washington, Meryl Streep, Angelina Jolie, Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks, Scarlett Johansson, Harrison Ford etc. They seem to all have one thing in common. In one way or another they maintain control of the production through backing it, producing it, directing it, or they collaborate with a small group of directors, actors, and producers who are a part of most of their movies.

Forum List

Back