The Outlaw Jose Wales

Pale Rider and High Plains Drifter had a unusual supernatural quality. Dead heroes conjured up to make things right. Strange for a western but it worked.
I agree. It works because Eastwood produced directed, and starred in the movie. He knew what he wanted in the movie and he got it. Often there are disagreements between the actor, producer and director which leads to compromises and compromises often lead to crappy movies. Just about every movie that Eastwood directed and starred in was an excellent movie. As someone said, what happens behind camera is just as important as what happens in front of the camera.
The girl in Pale Rider prays for some intervention after her dog is trampled in a raid by the bad guys. A Preacher shows up and takes care of business and in the end the crooked Sheriff recognizes him just before he is gunned down. A city Marshall gets whipped to death in High Plains Drifter and a stranger with no name comes back to take care of business. The resurrected Eastwood character commits rape but the victim ultimately enjoyed it and deserved it. At the end the dead city Marshall finally gets his name carved on the wood tombstone as the drifter rides away.

A city Marshall gets whipped to death in High Plains Drifter and a stranger with no name comes back to take care of business. The resurrected Eastwood character commits rape but the victim ultimately enjoyed it and deserved it. At the end the dead city Marshall finally gets his name carved on the wood tombstone as the drifter rides away.
Can you imagine that being part of the plot of a main stream movie today? I'm surprised this movie hasn't been "cancelled" such that it is no longer shown on TV.

A city Marshall gets whipped to death in High Plains Drifter and a stranger with no name comes back to take care of business. The resurrected Eastwood character commits rape but the victim ultimately enjoyed it and deserved it. At the end the dead city Marshall finally gets his name carved on the wood tombstone as the drifter rides away.
Can you imagine that being part of the plot of a main stream movie today? I'm surprised this movie hasn't been "cancelled" such that it is no longer shown on TV.
What's the problem?

It was available on Netflix but like many Netflix movies they are only available for a limited time period. It is available on Prime but it will cost a few dollars and is available on HBO Max at no cost. It appears on cable channels at not cost occasionally if you don't mind the commercials. Keep in mind, High Plains Drifter is nearly 50 years old and for young folks that's ancient. Clint Eastwood is 91

It was available on Netflix but like many Netflix movies they are only available for a limited time period. It is available on Prime but it will cost a few dollars and is available on HBO Max at no cost. It appears on cable channels at not cost occasionally if you don't mind the commercials. Keep in mind, High Plains Drifter is nearly 50 years old and for young folks that's ancient. Clint Eastwood is 91
Yes, I know it's available. That's kind of surprising considering that scene in which the woman "deserved" getting raped. Song of the South, for example, is very difficult to find for example of a movie that has been "canceled".

Yes, I know it's available. That's kind of surprising considering that scene in which the woman "deserved" getting raped. Song of the South, for example, is very difficult to find for example of a movie that has been "canceled".
Song of South is considered a very racist movie in todays culture and it offends a lot of people. I saw it as a kid and loved it. It is probably the best work of Joel Chandler Harris. Disney has released it several time and due to criterium it has been permanently locked in their vault. However the main characters, Br’er Rabbit, Fox, and Bear, and Uncle Remus are displayed at Disney Parks.

I have to admit as a kid when I watched the young boy in the movie laying gravely ill as his beloved Uncle Remas cried at his bedside it brought a tear to my eye and audiences, both Blacks and White. And When Uncle Remus and the kids and animals skip over the hillside with the song Zip-a-dee-doo-dah sung by Bing Crosby, it was a wonderful ending. The movie despite it's political incorrect presentation holds a positive message for kids and adults alike. What so few people don't understand is the writer had no intent to disparaging Black people. In fact, he was a strong voice for reconciliation of the races following reconstruction. In the late 19th century, the South was racist and almost everything that came out of the south reflected the way it was. Chandler was writing a tender child's book based on the culture that existed at that time. Covering it up changes nothing. At the time this book was written, the word racism did not even exist.

Hopefully in the future both Black and White people will see the good and bad during this era and tales like this will be seen for what they were at time, wonderful entertainment for kids and adults of both races. However, I expect in a hundred years, many of our best movies will be banded because they showed the violence in our society we live in today, the disrespect for other cultures, and crude language. And people will try to hide the past in a hope of changing the future which never seems to work.

Last edited:
I don't remember if it was here or somewhere else, but some years ago someone made a thread that asked "What is the best Clint Eastwood film?"
I thought that was an impossible question.
Then I thought... what is his worst? And found that to also be difficult, because there is a barrel of those as well.
I don't know if there is any other actor/producer/director that has the talent and ability to create so many epic movies, and also create some truly awful bombs.

So... for fun... what is his worst in your opinion...

For me... Probably Any which way you can. I struggled between that and Pink Cadillac.
Although I also loathed the Dirty Harry genre as well.

Ive seen this film many times and its a great film. Its a redemption film isnt it ?

First saw it on a double bill with Enter the Dragon on a first date in the Wrexham Hippodrome. Probably wasnt giving it my full attention..

It was the best of his spaghetti western trilogy in the 60.s, directed by Sergio Leone, filmed in Spain and Italy with an Italian crew and a international cast. Although these films made money, they did not get very good reviews initially and many movie goers in the US gave them a lukewarm response. This was a time when westerns were defined by John Wayne and John Ford who glorified the old west. They created a rather ridged stereotype of the west that was as phony as a $3 bill and audiences loved it. Then comes this Italian version of the western loaded with violence and international flavor. Most of the money the movies made were not from initial distribution. The trilogy was brought back several times in both the US and abroad. then distributed on video tape, DVD, cable, TV, and now streaming services. All toll, these films made a lot money over years and are still popular. They broke the stereotype of the Old West. Lawmen could bad guys or cowards, towns folk could be heroes, evil could prevail. Westerns no longer had to be a war between good and evil. They started to explore social issues such as race, religion, homosexuality, etc.

Last edited:
The Indian was played by "Chief Dan George" born Geswanouth Slahoot in 1899 in North Vancouver Canada. He was a genuine Indian chief who's name was changed to Dan George when he entered the White man school system at age 5. He had his first acting role in Canadian T.V. at age 60. For my money he stole the show in Josie Wales.

New Topics

Forum List

Back