The politics of food.

Regardless of the cause change is happening. We are not prepared for it. What are the answers I do not know. I just know I won't be one of the crying little bitches blaming Trump, Biden nor Harris for it. The government does not and has never been able to control everything. I catch kill and grow most my food. The grocery costs have not effected me like most. I do feel for those who have had their wallet effected though. It will get me eventually at my age it gets harder every year to hunt down my food. I spend most my day with 20 somethings. I notice them trying to carry some of my load. Not easy for me to accept but Chronos wins in the end always.
The point is, those supporting the Green New Deal and worldwide accords--Biden/Harris do and Trump/Vance do not--are the ones wasting trillions of dollars trying to change the climate. In the process they are stripping people of their liberties, choices, options, opportunities and inevitably prosperity. And so far all that has done absolutely nothing in any measurable way to change or control the climate even as all their models and predictions have failed to predict what will happen and/or what is happening.

My point is why not devote all that energy, money, effort into helping humankind adapt and thrive in ever changing environment/climate/weather patterns that are inevitable?

What are you personally doing to fight global warming?
Whether or not it's hypocritical for people to point out the science behind human caused global warming because they aren't doing enough about it, does not change the science.
We can all do something to fight warming on a personal level but voting for those who want to design federal policy to fight it is the most important thing to do.

You forgot to factor in the environmental impact of using so much of it.
The process will take at least centuries, but the earth will eventually heal the damage of fossil fuels, with maybe a little help by competent environmentalists, not the greenwashed pretenders. It won't be so fast for nuclear waste. That will take 250,000 years.

Biden has an impressive record of legislative accomplishments. It would be more impressive, like passing immigration reform, if not for Repub obstruction.
What, like the Inflation Expansion Act? Biden/Harris have accomplished nothing for the good of this country. The greatest benefits from this failed administration have gone child sex traffickers, fentanyl dealers, foreign gangs, and hungry cat munching Haitians.

The point is, those supporting the Green New Deal and worldwide accords--Biden/Harris do and Trump/Vance do not--are the ones wasting trillions of dollars trying to change the climate. In the process they are stripping people of their liberties, choices, options, opportunities and inevitably prosperity. And so far all that has done absolutely nothing in any measurable way to change or control the climate even as all their models and predictions have failed to predict what will happen and/or what is happening.

My point is why not devote all that energy, money, effort into helping humankind adapt and thrive in ever changing environment/climate/weather patterns that are inevitable?
I can not say it will not fix the problem. I can not say it will fix the problem. I can say fossil fuel causes pollution. I can say science has made remarkable advances in my life time. I have no problem believing there is a better way of creating energy. I have no problem believing not only will we find a better way but then we will find a better way than that. I recently added solar panels to my home. I will retrieve my investment in under 7 years. A multi pronged approach is prudent in my mind. What exactly is your approach to the problem?

I can not say it will not fix the problem. I can not say it will fix the problem. I can say fossil fuel causes pollution. I can say science has made remarkable advances in my life time. I have no problem believing there is a better way of creating energy. I have no problem believing not only will we find a better way but then we will find a better way than that. I recently added solar panels to my home. I will retrieve my investment in under 7 years. A multi pronged approach is prudent in my mind. What exactly is your approach to the problem?
Pretty much ANY substance can pollute if misused, overused, or whatever. But we are learning more and more all the time how to use the substances on Earth in ways that pollute less or not at all. We should continue to do that.

You won't find anyone more passionate than I am about good stewardship of the Earth and protecting the environment we live in as well as the flora and fauna that currently exists on it.

I also know that evolution did not cease to exist with this era and the paleontological record shows that for all of the time they have existed on Earth, species of both plant and animal have evolved, changed, gone extinct and new species have developed. Also environments, weather patterns and climate have also changed and continue to change over time and that too is inevitable.

History informs us that in almost all cases it is the private sector, not government, who recognizes and meets the needs and wishes of the people, and that they do this better when there is liberty and an intelligently regulated free market economy. As it becomes apparent that fossil fuels can't or won't meet those needs or wishes, the people will have discovered and developed alternate forms of energy that are better and more sustainable just as they always have.

And common sense tells us that all of humankinds most draconian means to affect climate change have had negligible effect on climate change. We should give up trying to control climate and focus our energies on helping humankind live happily, healthily, and productively in spite of climate change.

That is my approach to the problem.

Pretty much ANY substance can pollute if misused, overused, or whatever. But we are learning more and more all the time how to use the substances on Earth in ways that pollute less or not at all. We should continue to do that.

You won't find anyone more passionate than I am about good stewardship of the Earth and protecting the environment we live in as well as the flora and fauna that currently exists on it.

I also know that evolution did not cease to exist with this era and the paleontological record shows that for all of the time they have existed on Earth, species of both plant and animal have evolved, changed, gone extinct and new species have developed. Also environments, weather patterns and climate have also changed and continue to change over time and that too is inevitable.

History informs us that in almost all cases it is the private sector, not government, who recognizes and meets the needs and wishes of the people, and that they do this better when there is liberty and an intelligently regulated free market economy. As it becomes apparent that fossil fuels can't or won't meet those needs or wishes, the people will have discovered and developed alternate forms of energy that are better and more sustainable just as they always have.

And common sense tells us that all of humankinds most draconian means to affect climate change have had negligible effect on climate change. We should give up trying to control climate and focus our energies on helping humankind live happily, healthily, and productively in spite of climate change.

That is my approach to the problem.
I don't have the answer of who is right and who is wrong. I just hope people keep striving for solutions and actually find some.As you say organisms become extinct. So will we. I just hope we have a long run.

What to Eat on a Burning Planet

This election season, many Americans are deeply distraught about the cost of food. You hear their frustrations in polls, at rallies and in focus groups — sticker shock is one of the few issues left to unite Americans across the political spectrum. But as painful as foodflation is, it may just be an early ripple of the kind of disruption to the food system that’s coming. The scale of these changes will be breathtaking. Their global consequences will be profound. And for most of us, they will change what’s in our refrigerators and on our kitchen tables.

Already, we can see the early tremors starting to rattle the global food system. As climate change permanently alters weather patterns, farmers are struggling to produce crops in the same huge volumes they once did. In California this month’s heat wave turned lettuce yellow. In Vietnam extreme heat has damaged the coffee crop, sending prices worldwide soaring. Consumers will soon see even higher prices and less of the foods they have come to know and love. Like it or not, our produce aisles are on the brink of transformation.

Opinion | What to Eat on a Burning Planet

Food as You Know It Is About to Change

About three-quarters of all global agricultural land is vulnerable to substantial climate disruptions, NASA’s Jonas Jägermeyr says, “so mostly everywhere you look, things will change in one way or the other.” And that probably means the food you’re eating, too.

“The good news is, we’ve seen this show before — we’ve faced crises before,” says Mr. Barrett. The examples of success he cites are probably familiar: Innovations to solve the challenges of the Dust Bowl in America and later the Green Revolution in Asia allowed hundreds of millions of people to avoid starvation and helped usher in the fastest escape from extreme poverty the world has ever experienced.

Mr. Barrett sees plenty of promise on the horizon now, too: biofortified crops; new techniques to fix nitrogen from the air, limiting the use of fossil-fuel based fertilizer; resilient varieties, like flood-resistant rice, that are already transforming the paddies of South Asia. But there’s no magic-bullet solution, he says: We need a bundle of innovations and interventions.

Opinion | Food as You Know It Is About to Change

The reason for the vulnerability? Partly because the 10 hottest years on record have all occurred since 2014. And partly because extreme weather events like heat waves and floods have increased about 400% in the last 50 years. Not to mention that both drought and floods can degraded the quality of topsoil needed to grow crops. The insurer Lloyd's estimates there is a 50% chance of a food shock in which a multiyear period of extreme weather leads to major crop failures in the next 30 years. (Mods, some of the stats are from an article in The Week for which I have no link)

If anyone needed another reason to vote for Harris, this is it.

Sorry to inform you of the bad news but we're but a pinprick. There is nothing we can do to stop the climate from changing. The atmospheres are being affected on several planets in our solar system and that's due mainly to the changes that are occurring in the sun. Oh, it's gonna get real hot.......

Sorry to inform you of the bad news but we're but a pinprick. There is nothing we can do to stop the climate from changing. The atmospheres are being affected on several planets in our solar system and that's due mainly to the changes that are occurring in the sun. Oh, it's gonna get real hot.......
According to who?

We’re told that man can not affect the climate. Hogwash

Ever hear of London Fog?

That was COAL pollution. The Brits stopped burning so much coal and it largely went away.

We can and do affect the weather and the climate and we can undo it as well

What to Eat on a Burning Planet

This election season, many Americans are deeply distraught about the cost of food. You hear their frustrations in polls, at rallies and in focus groups — sticker shock is one of the few issues left to unite Americans across the political spectrum. But as painful as foodflation is, it may just be an early ripple of the kind of disruption to the food system that’s coming. The scale of these changes will be breathtaking. Their global consequences will be profound. And for most of us, they will change what’s in our refrigerators and on our kitchen tables.

Already, we can see the early tremors starting to rattle the global food system. As climate change permanently alters weather patterns, farmers are struggling to produce crops in the same huge volumes they once did. In California this month’s heat wave turned lettuce yellow. In Vietnam extreme heat has damaged the coffee crop, sending prices worldwide soaring. Consumers will soon see even higher prices and less of the foods they have come to know and love. Like it or not, our produce aisles are on the brink of transformation.

Opinion | What to Eat on a Burning Planet

Food as You Know It Is About to Change

About three-quarters of all global agricultural land is vulnerable to substantial climate disruptions, NASA’s Jonas Jägermeyr says, “so mostly everywhere you look, things will change in one way or the other.” And that probably means the food you’re eating, too.

“The good news is, we’ve seen this show before — we’ve faced crises before,” says Mr. Barrett. The examples of success he cites are probably familiar: Innovations to solve the challenges of the Dust Bowl in America and later the Green Revolution in Asia allowed hundreds of millions of people to avoid starvation and helped usher in the fastest escape from extreme poverty the world has ever experienced.

Mr. Barrett sees plenty of promise on the horizon now, too: biofortified crops; new techniques to fix nitrogen from the air, limiting the use of fossil-fuel based fertilizer; resilient varieties, like flood-resistant rice, that are already transforming the paddies of South Asia. But there’s no magic-bullet solution, he says: We need a bundle of innovations and interventions.

Opinion | Food as You Know It Is About to Change

The reason for the vulnerability? Partly because the 10 hottest years on record have all occurred since 2014. And partly because extreme weather events like heat waves and floods have increased about 400% in the last 50 years. Not to mention that both drought and floods can degraded the quality of topsoil needed to grow crops. The insurer Lloyd's estimates there is a 50% chance of a food shock in which a multiyear period of extreme weather leads to major crop failures in the next 30 years. (Mods, some of the stats are from an article in The Week for which I have no link)

If anyone needed another reason to vote for Harris, this is it.
Yes, we already know that the left want to ban meat.

We’re told that man can not affect the climate. Hogwash

Ever hear of London Fog?

That was COAL pollution. The Brits stopped burning so much coal and it largely went away.

We can and do affect the weather and the climate and we can undo it as well

No, we don't affect it. We can seed clouds but thats only minor stuff.

Forum List

Back