The Role of Catholic Schools

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Catholic parochial K-12 education has been decimated in recent decades by the "perfect storm" of a pedophile crisis in the church, rapidly rising school taxes, and a culture that disdains religious people and beliefs. In my home of Western Pennsylvania, we have gone from about a fourth of all K-12 students attending Catholic parochial schools to something on the order of 5%. Indeed, it is difficult to put a number on it because the schools themselves continue to "drop like flies." Often, some number of Catholic grade schools consolidate and re-name themselves, year after year, until we have one school serving an entire region...and still attendance is dropping year over year.

But concurrently with this development there is a counter-phenomenon going on.

As I look at the various teams competing in the state high school basketball championships, I cannot miss the presence of high schools with names like, Central Catholic, Erie Cathedral Prep, North Catholic, Greensburg Central Catholic, Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, and so on. The same is true, to a slightly lesser extent for the football playoffs.

These surviving Catholic high schools are quite pricey and derive no significant state funding, so the tuitions - to the extent they are paid - are quite a financial burden to the parents. They are ALL academically superior to the public schools, boasting higher average SAT/ACT scores, more grads going on to college, more national merit scholarship finalists, and so on.

In athletic circles, these schools are scorned by the public schools for "recruiting" athletes to pump up their athletic teams in competition. And in fact there is no actual requirement that the students (1) be Catholic, or (2) live in any particular school district. And indeed, many of the student-athletes are beneficiaries of reduced or even waived tuition, based on their individual family situations. Not surprisingly, many competing coaches are pushing the state athletic organization to force these Catholic schools out of the brackets that the public schools play in, because their rules give them an unfair advantage. Boo freakin' who.

As a closet racist, I perceive that a large number of the beneficiaries of this whole situation are African American students who would otherwise be attending failing neighborhood schools, and whose prospects improve dramatically when playing BB or FB for conspicuously successful parochial schools. If these teams were forced to play "in their own league" because of their advantages, the incentive for these African Americans to go there would be greatly diminished. Who cares if your team wins the "Catholic League"?

Some say the current system sucks, but it does have its benefits, for a lot of people.

Does this situation occur in other geographic parts of the U.S.?

From my understanding, Catholic schools are still less expensive than other private institutions.

The problem the RCC had wasn't with the sex scandals, but more due to the decimation of the Tremendous teaching orders of nuns and brothers that provided the vast majority of the manpower to run the schools back in the day. Nuns are really not paid that much, and that kept the costs down for parishes to keep the schools open at low cost. Now, virtually no one wants to be nun.

I'll question the "academic" standards- whose? IDC who is at the helm, ANY education not founded in and on Liberty is IMproper-. Period. Academic standards? Really?! Has anyone looked at what academia is/has become?

My oldest son's kids go to a Baptist affiliated school - and, while their "academic" standards, may be, and probably are, higher than the Public Education system, they're (the kids) still required to conform, by a dress code- everyone has to look alike in their attire- conformity is the antithesis of Liberty- throw in religion and now you have not only conformity there is group think involved- another antithesis to Liberty-

So, what catholics do, is their business- until/unless they invade the space of others or infringe on the rights of others or abuse anothers' Liberty- schools are to be about; readin', writin' and 'rithmetic and the right to Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness- sports are for fun. Period.

Yeah, maybe that is a fourth factor.

Still, from what I'm seeing, there is a nun or a Brother heading up most of these schools, and the quality of education hasn't suffered due to going with "lay teachers." For one reason or another, there doesn't seem to be any problem finding qualified teachers to teach in parochial schools that pay substantially less than the unionized public schools.

NCTrojanPgh.gif
nchs_emblem.png

Gdjjr..."Liberty" is pointless if based in ignorance. Kids need to be taught not only academic subjects but social norms as well. Then, once they are out on their own they can decide whether to adopt those norms or jettison them. Letting kids act the way they feel like acting is foolishness and deficient parenting.

Catholic parochial K-12 education has been decimated in recent decades by the "perfect storm" of a pedophile crisis in the church, rapidly rising school taxes, and a culture that disdains religious people and beliefs. In my home of Western Pennsylvania, we have gone from about a fourth of all K-12 students attending Catholic parochial schools to something on the order of 5%. Indeed, it is difficult to put a number on it because the schools themselves continue to "drop like flies." Often, some number of Catholic grade schools consolidate and re-name themselves, year after year, until we have one school serving an entire region...and still attendance is dropping year over year.

As I look at the various teams competing in the state high school basketball championships, I cannot miss the presence of high schools with names like, Central Catholic, Erie Cathedral Prep, North Catholic, Greensburg Central Catholic, Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, and so on. The same is true, to a slightly lesser extent for the football playoffs.

These surviving Catholic high schools are quite pricey and derive no significant state funding, so the tuitions - to the extent they are paid - are quite a financial burden to the parents. They are ALL academically superior to the public schools, boasting higher average SAT/ACT scores, more grads going on to college, more national merit scholarship finalists, and so on.

In athletic circles, these schools are scorned by the public schools for "recruiting" athletes to pump up their athletic teams in competition. And in fact there is no actual requirement that the students (1) be Catholic, or (2) live in any particular school district. And indeed, many of the student-athletes are beneficiaries of reduced or even waived tuition, based on their individual family situations. Not surprisingly, many competing coaches are pushing the state athletic organization to force these Catholic schools out of the brackets that the public schools play in, because their rules give them an unfair advantage. Boo freakin' who.

As a closet racist, I perceive that a large number of the beneficiaries of this whole situation are African American students who would otherwise be attending failing neighborhood schools, and whose prospects improve dramatically when playing BB or FB for conspicuously successful parochial schools. If these teams were forced to play "in their own league" because of their advantages, the incentive for these African Americans to go there would be greatly diminished. Who cares if your team wins the "Catholic League"?

Some say the current system sucks, but it does have its benefits, for a lot of people.

Well I lost a state championship game in baseball and basketball back in the day to schools that were able to recruit. Kinda sucked but ya, I feel the opportunity afforded to some kids that were bad areas was a bigger deal than my taking home a couple of trophies. I was still able to bring home a couple baseball state championships. Not as lucky in basketball but I was afforded the chance to play against a future NBA player. Good memories any way you slice it. My high school was a sport power house losses were not a frequent thing but they are a part of life. I feel I am a better person from it.

What is?

No.1, appears to be what?

To educate is merely a passing on of knowledge- knowledge evolves. Some are better at passing on knowledge than others.
For some, it's a calling- for others it's a pay check- for some it's a position of authority entitling them to a certain privilege-

Qualified is set/determined by whom? Answer: Mostly improperly educated people- no matter who/what the name of the school implies.

Most, in the last several dozen years, (several generations) have been inundated with indoctrination, even the "parochial"- since it, in and of itself, is an indoctrination-

The most important players in the passing on of knowledge is the home- by example setting, coupled with understanding Liberty and respect- sports can teach respect, when properly administered- but, by and large, too much emphasis is placed on sports in the win at all cost context- that is not administering the teaching of respect-

Maybe that's what happened to the CHS I attended (haven't really kept up with the goings on there, moved out-of-state, etc.). When I was there our FB team really sucked and got regularly trounced by the public schools. However, not that long ago they were one of the TOP 10 HSs in the country and one of their players was in the NFL for a few years. Always wondered how they managed that.

Gdjjr..."Liberty" is pointless if based in ignorance.
There in lies "a" problem- it is the most important aspect of not remaining ignorant- knowledge isn't biased in its origin- knowledge evolves- there is no getting around that. Truth remains constant. Liberty- all men are created equal and have certain UNalienable rights is "a" Truth-

The foundation of education has to be the Truth- it is constant. A rock, if you will- knowledge is fluid, it changes (evolves)- a rock remains until time and weather erode it away- knowledge chips away at it- a little at a time, but, noticeably, which is why it has to be re-enforced through example, at home- yet, our homes have been infected with accepting ignorance as gospel, because authoritarian and conformity- ignorance being opinion based simply on a knowledge- making it an esoteric venture- Liberty is universal-

Our catholic schools here closed their doors. The teaching staff got fed up with their pay and many left to make alot more money doing more godly work in the private sector. The size of the congregation has been shrinking more rapidly than predicted. Seems as though church memberships are declining here maybe it's different elsewhere. It was a two pronged sword.

"Passing on knowledge" would be a good start.

Too often, teachers in the soft subjects pull this "there are no wrong answers" bullshit, and nobody learns anything. They get general feelings about the material.

If you are forced to learn the facts, you can sort out what they mean on your own time.

Still, from what I'm seeing, there is a nun or a Brother heading up most of these schools, and the quality of education hasn't suffered due to going with "lay teachers." For one reason or another, there doesn't seem to be any problem finding qualified teachers to teach in parochial schools that pay substantially less than the unionized public schools.

Going to lay teachers is a big factor in the increased cost. The Catholic school I went to in the 80's used to offer discounts for multiple kids in the school at the same time from the same family. by the 4th kid he/she was essentially free.

From my understanding, Catholic schools are still less expensive than other private institutions.

The problem the RCC had wasn't with the sex scandals, but more due to the decimation of the Tremendous teaching orders of nuns and brothers that provided the vast majority of the manpower to run the schools back in the day. Nuns are really not paid that much, and that kept the costs down for parishes to keep the schools open at low cost. Now, virtually no one wants to be nun.
I went to fire and brimstone Catholic skewls in the day.

Part of some of the nuns duties were to relieve priests of their Holy Baby Batter. One nun left the order suddenly from the school.Come to find later the Padre
Packed her a plenty and impregnation came in the picture. Thus a holy child was born.

Forum List

Back