The Stimulus

Gdjjr

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 2019
Texas
Sen. Mitch McConnell called it a “historic rescue package,” but if you ask me, it’s more like tossing a drowning man a Lifesavers candy tied to dental floss.

So, while you try to figure out how to spend your paltry $600, consider some of the other folks who will be getting a big fat unconstitutional handout from Uncle Sam thanks to the funding included in this massive omnibus spending bill.

The coronavirus relief provisions do include $13 billion for food aid to increase the maximum unconstitutional Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefit by 15 percent. I suppose that’s a benefit to Main Street.

Meanwhile, the airlines will get yet another unconstitutional bailout of $15 billion. That’s on top of the $25 billion US air carriers got in the CARES Act.

There is more transportation money in the bill. The legislation unconstitutionally allocated $14 billion for transit systems and $10 billion for state highways. This seems a little silly given that we’re all supposed to stay home.

The bill includes $82 billion in unconstitutional education funding, including more than $54 billion for public K-12 schools and nearly $23 billion for higher education. Too bad a lot of kids around the country aren’t allowed to go to school.

There was $7 billion included in the bill to fund unconstitutional expansions in broadband access.

Now, I would argue that most of this spending is only peripherally related to the pandemic and it really more of a cash cow for various special interests. But you can at least argue that most of the funding I’ve mentioned so far is at least tangentially beneficial to average Americans. But if you do the math, you will quickly realize we’re nowhere close to $900 billion. Where is the rest of the money going? God only knows. But I am willing to bet that more than $600 will be going into the pockets of various Wall Street interests.

Unconstitutional

If you haven’t gotten the point already, virtually all of this spending is unconstitutional. Many would undoubtedly argue with me, citing the general welfare clause. Yes, it exists. But it is not a blank check empowering Congress to spend money on whatever it pleases. As James Madison asserted, to take the clause in a “literal and unlimited sense would be a metamorphosis of the Constitution into a character which there is a host of proofs was not contemplated by its creators.”

Broadly speaking, promoting the general welfare is a legitimate role of the federal government, but it can only do so within the scope of the specific powers delegated to it. Pro-ratification essayist “Cassius” wrote an article published in the Virginia Independent Chronicle addressed directly to Richard Henry Lee asserting that the general welfare clause was “not a power coextensive with every possible object of human legislation.”

“A moment’s calm reflection must have informed you, that no such legislative latitude is given to the house of representatives, except in the imposition of taxes, and in that branch, it must, necessarily, be intrusted, because the line could not be drawn. Congress can make no laws, except such, as are, essentially, necessary to carry into execution the particular powers given to them by the constitution.”
You will find those powers in Article 1 Sec. 8 of the Constitution. With a quick perusal, you will find not find any of this coronavirus funding authorized.

Interpretation. Correct?

I am having a moral quandary about taking this stimulus fund. (I am not a doctor or health care worker). I rather believe this is sooo overplayed it borders on being a scam. Car accidents, workplace accidents/illnesses, even past epidemics of the the common flu. We DIDN'T destroy our economy over any of those. Taking the money for this seems rather unethical.

I am having a moral quandary about taking this stimulus fund. (I am not a doctor or health care worker). I rather believe this is sooo overplayed it borders on being a scam. Car accidents, workplace accidents/illnesses, even past epidemics of the the common flu. We DIDN'T destroy our economy over any of those. Taking the money for this seems rather unethical.
You can send it to me I have no preconceived convictions to morality via money.

99 percent of those getting it will happily take it and not think twice. Thankfully.

Since I don't qualify you can send yours to me. I'll put it to good use.

Enumerated powers specifies that Congress has the poor to provide for the general welfare of the US.

The US can mean its people. If you can collect taxes then you should be able to redistribute those taxes when needed.

As long as it is necessary and proper which begs the question who decides what is necessary and proper. So Congress by vote determines what is necessary and proper if said members pass the legislation by voting.

which brings us to the 10 amendment. Use it or lose it.

A document that was made years ago can be changed as things that weren't possible when created makes the document a noose. So you make changes as they become relevant. The founding fathers lived in a time period that did not envision what we have today in the world.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back