The Two-Party System Is Effing Up U.S. Democracy

Nancy Pelosi is a Demon Possessed DemNazi orifice for everything unholy and unclean.

It is not a Representative Democracy.

It is a Representative Republic.
You’re simply an idiot. That’s like saying Tea is not a drink because it’s tea. One of us has several degrees with one of them being in history, winning an award for their senior thesis in American Revolution theory and the other is you.

You’re simply an idiot. That’s like saying Tea is not a drink because it’s tea. One of us has several degrees with one of them being in history, winning an award for their senior thesis in American Revolution theory and the other is you.
Putin is your Popsicle.

Your only purpose in life is to spread Chi Com CCP, Russian, North Korean and Iranian Propaganda

Lick Lick Putin Puffer.

Don't you have some ass licking to do for Ayatollah Assahollah?

Run along now, I think you have NorthKorea of the mouth.

I know it's a shitty thing of me to say to you, but it's true.

I understand the thinking behind term limits but what that really does is create 'Your Turn' with parties just nominating people who are party loyalists.
In theory (and yeah, I admit that's the best I've got), a strong third party doesn't necessarily need to be a top contender in elections. But if it is given the exposure and has a solid messenger, it can introduce a certain gravity into the macro conversation that keeps the two "major" parties from spinning further and further out into the fringe.

Hopefully it can also introduce or highlight issues that the other two parties are ignoring and/or distorting.

I look at where we are right now, and it sure seems to me that maintaining the status quo is simply ridiculous. We have to at least try new ideas before it's too late.

I tend to agree there is nothing wrong with calling the US a democracy because that is the common modern definition.
But The Original Tree is correct that technically a true democracy means you have no representative legislators, and every one votes on all proposed legislation, directly. It is just that no one has ever done that in over 2500 years, and likely did not do it very long either.

There are more than two political parties in the U.S.

Not really.
If you register with a party other than the democrats or republicans, then you are not allowed to vote in the primary.
So then there really are only 2 parties in the US, and only those 2 party candidates can win.

I tend to agree there is nothing wrong with calling the US a democracy because that is the common modern definition.
But The Original Tree is correct that technically a true democracy means you have no representative legislators, and every one votes on all proposed legislation, directly. It is just that no one has ever done that in over 2500 years, and likely did not do it very long either.
Thanks, but there is no definition for true democracy. Tree describes a direct democracy vs a representative democracy. It’s an easy distinction but his claim that the US isn’t a democracy because it’s the latter is the statement in debate.

Not really.
If you register with a party other than the democrats or republicans, then you are not allowed to vote in the primary.
So then there really are only 2 parties in the US, and only those 2 party candidates can win.
Depends on where you’re at, but I would say that is because the other parties don’t garner enough support to take up resources….Never the less, there are a ton of parties in the US…

A well cited argument assessing the state of democracy in the US and the contributing factors which put it at risk from a declining two-party system.

In order for democracy to work, competing parties must accept that they can lose elections, and that it’s okay. But when partisans see their political opposition not just as the opposition, but as a genuine threat to the well-being of the nation, support for democratic norms fadesbecause “winning” becomes everything. Politics, in turn, collapses into an all-out war of “us against them,” a kind of “pernicious polarization” that appears over and over again in democratic collapses, and bears a striking similarity to what’s currently happening in the U.S.

What’s happening in the U.S. is distinct in four respects.
  • First, the animosity that people feel toward opposing parties relative to their own (what’s known as affective polarization in political science) has grown considerably over the last four decades.
  • Second, the change in how Americans feel about their party and other parties has been driven by a dramatic decrease in positive feelings toward the opposing party.
  • Third, more so than in other countries, Americans report feeling isolated from their own party.
  • Fourth, and perhaps most significant, in the U.S., one party has become a major illiberal outlier: The Republican Party.

You got it all wrong---most of us hate both parties. Just that one party is currently far worse than the other right now. The left is destroying the country.

Another idiot who thinks a piece paper makes him intelligent-----

You got it all wrong---most of us hate both parties. Just that one party is currently far worse than the other right now. The left is destroying the country.
The right tried to overthrow the legitimately elected president and tax cut this country broke. This country is being ruined by stupidity. By lazy assessments. By people like you.

Forum List

Back