The vagina dialogues: 33-metre artwork draws far right's ire in Brazil

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
A 33-metre reinforced concrete vagina has sparked a Bolsonarian backlash in Brazil, with supporters of the country’s far-right president clashing with leftwing art admirers over the installation.

The handmade sculpture, entitled Diva, was unveiled by visual artist Juliana Notari on Saturday at a rural art park on the grounds of a former sugar mill in Pernambuco, one of Brazil’s most culturally vibrant states.

In a Facebook post, Notari said the scarlet hillside vulva was intended to “question the relationship between nature and culture in our phallocentric and anthropocentric western society” and provoke debate over the “problematisation of gender”.

“Nowadays these issues have become increasingly urgent,” the artist added in what appeared partly to be a reference to the increasingly intolerant climate in Jair Bolsonaro’s Brazil.

I'm a feminist. At no point in my life have I ever, ever, ever thought that a vagina sculpture on a lawn, or as a hat, was something important or was really art. Yanno.......at least with Georgia O’Keeffe, it was a question of whether it was a vagina or a flower. Not so much here. That is a vagina on the lawn.

If anyone had a vagina that looked like that they should see a doctor.

A 33-metre reinforced concrete vagina has sparked a Bolsonarian backlash in Brazil, with supporters of the country’s far-right president clashing with leftwing art admirers over the installation.

The handmade sculpture, entitled Diva, was unveiled by visual artist Juliana Notari on Saturday at a rural art park on the grounds of a former sugar mill in Pernambuco, one of Brazil’s most culturally vibrant states.

In a Facebook post, Notari said the scarlet hillside vulva was intended to “question the relationship between nature and culture in our phallocentric and anthropocentric western society” and provoke debate over the “problematisation of gender”.

“Nowadays these issues have become increasingly urgent,” the artist added in what appeared partly to be a reference to the increasingly intolerant climate in Jair Bolsonaro’s Brazil.

I'm a feminist. At no point in my life have I ever, ever, ever thought that a vagina sculpture on a lawn, or as a hat, was something important or was really art. Yanno.......at least with Georgia O’Keeffe, it was a question of whether it was a vagina or a flower. Not so much here. That is a vagina on the lawn.
It does have a nice Brazilian wax job for sure.

And it's also Brazil.

As for "art" the whole point of art is to provoke thought.

And it's also Brazil.

As for "art" the whole point of art is to provoke thought.

I'm thinking at a minimum it should provoke a T-back.

Monologues.

People seem to get vagina confused with vulva. The vulva is on the outside. The vagina is the canal on the inside.
Are you an anatomy expert?
I don't consider myself an anatomy expert, but I did earn an A in my biology classes, and I know how to use Google.
If you use a google to see the vulva, something is wrong with you. Nature was smart enough to hide it with hairs, but hairs are also ugly there. It is basically a lottery that I don´t want to play. The chance to get something beautiful is quite low.

People seem to get vagina confused with vulva. The vulva is on the outside. The vagina is the canal on the inside.
I don't consider myself an anatomy expert, but I did earn an A in my biology classes, and I know how to use Google.
If you use a google to see the vulva, something is wrong with you. Nature was smart enough to hide it with hairs, but hairs are also ugly there. It is basically a lottery that I don´t want to play. The chance to get something beautiful is quite low.
Calm down dude....who put that stick up your ass that causes you to be so nasty to everyone?

Calm down dude....who put that stick up your ass that causes you to be so nasty to everyone?
I thought I better be nasty on the internet than go out and hunt down fucking people. But you are right. That is not fair. Sorry for that.

New Topics

Forum List

Back