The various budget plans, simplified

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
For the math challenged.

WaPo-Deficit-Graph.jpg

WaPo-Debt-Graph.jpg

Enjoy.

Very interest charts. The one thing I would question is revenue projection. "Static scoring" assumes NO change in behavior due to changes in tax policy, directly refuted by over a million CPA's and tax advisers.

Very interest charts. The one thing I would question is revenue projection. "Static scoring" assumes NO change in behavior due to changes in tax policy, directly refuted by over a million CPA's and tax advisers.

I know what you mean.

For the math challenged.

WaPo-Deficit-Graph.jpg

WaPo-Debt-Graph.jpg

Enjoy.

What is missing from the both charts is a quality of life for US citizens by, say, income quartile or third. Without something like that the charts have no contextual meaning.

Because, without the government to protect make sure everyone has the exact same amount of money, it makes no difference how much we spend.

Sure, it's easy to produce a budget which looks good by cutting out just about every kind of assistance for anybody but corporations and the 1%.

Sure, it's easy to produce a budget which looks good by cutting out just about every kind of assistance for anybody but corporations and the 1%.

Why don't you pull up those budgets and show us where that happens?

That's right, because you can't, it doesn't.

Why don't you pull up those budgets and show us where that happens?

That's right, because you can't, it doesn't.

Ok. Let's look at the Republican Study Committee budget.

Section 311. Allows tax cuts for the wealthy to continue for the duration of the budget plan.

Sec. 306. Does not allow any tax increases, but does allow the imposition of "fees" to receive defined benefits or service. In other words, you could pay a fee to get your Social Security check or for VA health care.

SEC. 501. POLICY STATEMENT ON HEALTH CARE LAW REPEAL.

• It is the policy of this resolution that the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (Public Law 111-148), and the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010 (Public Law 111-152) should be repealed.

SEC. 505. POLICY STATEMENT ON REFORMING FEDERAL REGULATION.

• It is the policy of this resolution that the cost of regulations on job creators should be reduced by enacting title II of the Jobs Through Growth Act (H.R. 3400), as introduced on November 10, 2011.

Sec. 506. Privatize Medicare.

Sec. 508. Medicaid and CHIP would become block grants to the states without any apparent standards for care the states must meet.

Bill Text - 112th Congress (2011-2012) - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

This plan envisions balancing the budget by curtailing government health care spending on the those least able to afford it on their own, charging people fees to receive benefits, throwing money at the states and calling it "Medicaid," all while continuing tax cuts for the very wealthy and reducing regulations on corporations.

Looks like I was right.

Section 311. Allows tax cuts for the wealthy to continue for the duration of the budget plan.

Maintains all current tax rates, Obama is planning more tax hikes on the poor and middle class.

Sec. 306. Does not allow any tax increases, but does allow the imposition of "fees" to receive defined benefits or service. In other words, you could pay a fee to get your Social Security check or for VA health care.

Fees for your SS check. Do you really believe that tripe?

• It is the policy of this resolution that the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (Public Law 111-148), and the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010 (Public Law 111-152) should be repealed.

• It is the policy of this resolution that the cost of regulations on job creators should be reduced by enacting title II of the Jobs Through Growth Act (H.R. 3400), as introduced on November 10, 2011.

Sec. 508. Medicaid and CHIP would become block grants to the states without any apparent standards for care the states must meet.

This plan envisions balancing the budget by curtailing government health care spending on the those least able to afford it on their own, charging people fees to receive benefits, throwing money at the states and calling it "Medicaid," all while continuing tax cuts for the very wealthy and reducing regulations on corporations.

Looks like I was right.

Since Obamacare is not going to accomplish its number 1 goal, which is to reduce the cost of health care, why the fuck should we keep it?

Maintains all current tax rates, Obama is planning more tax hikes on the poor and middle class.

Looks like I was right.

Since Obamacare is not going to accomplish its number 1 goal, which is to reduce the cost of health care, why the fuck should we keep it?

You didn't ask me to debate the merits of that budget proposal and I don't want to.

You challenged me to prove my statement and I did that. What say you now?

Looks like I was right.

You didn't ask me to debate the merits of that budget proposal and I don't want to.

Your statement was that the budget plans favor the rich over the poor. Here is what the law actually says.

From your link

Section 311.
SEC. 311. SENSE OF THE HOUSE REGARDING BASELINE REVENUE PROJECTIONS.

• For purposes of constructing its baseline revenue projections, the Congressional Budget Office should assume that any tax provision which is scheduled to expire under current law will be extended through the duration of any budget forecast by Congressional Budget Office so as to ensure that expiring tax provisions and expiring spending programs (other than direct appropriations) are treated in like fashion.
Wow, assume that nothing is going to change. Doesn't say a damn thing about tax cuts for the wealthy.

SEC. 306. PROHIBITION ON USING REVENUE INCREASES TO COMPLY WITH BUDGET ALLOCATIONS AND AGGREGATES.

• (a) For the purpose of enforcing this concurrent resolution in the House, the chairman of the Committee on the Budget shall not take into account the provisions of any piece of legislation which propose to increase revenue or offsetting collections if the net effect of the bill is to increase the level of revenue or offsetting collections beyond the level assumed in this concurrent resolution.

• (b) Subsection (a) shall not apply to any provision of a piece of legislation that proposes a new or increased fee for the receipt of a defined benefit or service (including insurance coverage) by the person or entity paying the fee.

Nothing about fees for anything, not even SS checks.

And nothing that supports what you said.

Your statement was that the budget plans favor the rich over the poor. Here is what the law actually says.

From your link

Section 311.
SEC. 311. SENSE OF THE HOUSE REGARDING BASELINE REVENUE PROJECTIONS.

• For purposes of constructing its baseline revenue projections, the Congressional Budget Office should assume that any tax provision which is scheduled to expire under current law will be extended through the duration of any budget forecast by Congressional Budget Office so as to ensure that expiring tax provisions and expiring spending programs (other than direct appropriations) are treated in like fashion.
Wow, assume that nothing is going to change. Doesn't say a damn thing about tax cuts for the wealthy.

SEC. 306. PROHIBITION ON USING REVENUE INCREASES TO COMPLY WITH BUDGET ALLOCATIONS AND AGGREGATES.

• (a) For the purpose of enforcing this concurrent resolution in the House, the chairman of the Committee on the Budget shall not take into account the provisions of any piece of legislation which propose to increase revenue or offsetting collections if the net effect of the bill is to increase the level of revenue or offsetting collections beyond the level assumed in this concurrent resolution.

• (b) Subsection (a) shall not apply to any provision of a piece of legislation that proposes a new or increased fee for the receipt of a defined benefit or service (including insurance coverage) by the person or entity paying the fee.

Nothing about fees for anything, not even SS checks.

And nothing that supports what you said.

Hey. I showed you. It's not my fault if you can't read with understanding or don't want to accept it. The evidence is right there for anybody to see.

Forum List

Back