The World's Fair...

Canon Shooter

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2020
My aunt passed away two years ago, and I've slowly but surely going through the mountains of things she'd collected over the years.

I came across a couple of charm bracelets. One of the charms is from the 1964 World's Fair held in New York City (actually in Queens, not far from where the current Citi Field sits). It got me wondering: What ever happened to the World's Fair?

Oh, here's the charm from 1964:

charm01.jpg

Attachments

• charm01.jpg
    charm01.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 92
The unisphere is still there as well as the observation towers Most everything else is gone

1589225515363.jpeg

My aunt passed away two years ago, and I've slowly but surely going through the mountains of things she'd collected over the years.

I came across a couple of charm bracelets. One of the charms is from the 1964 World's Fair held in New York City (actually in Queens, not far from where the current Citi Field sits). It got me wondering: What ever happened to the World's Fair?

View attachment 334808
Yup. Dad brought my Mom home one of those when he went down to the Fair in '64. If I remember right, he saw Hello Dolly on Broadway, too.

I've wondered the same thing!!! Why did they stop? Maybe the need to physically congregate to share the latest and best in technology and the arts is no longer necessary. It must have been really fun though.

View attachment 334808
Made familiar again by Men In Black!
1589225558219.png

They still have them. This year's is in the United Arab Emirates if you want to go. Last one in the US was in 1984. Next one is 2023 in Argentina and 2025 is in Japan. The are called Expo's now BTW

They still have the World Expo but it has been a long time since it was held in the US.

View attachment 334808
Yup. Dad brought my Mom home one of those when he went down to the Fair in '64. If I remember right, he saw Hello Dolly on Broadway, too.

I've wondered the same thing!!! Why did they stop? Maybe the need to physically congregate to share the latest and best in technology and the arts is no longer necessary. It must have been really fun though.
I think they probably stopped because they were losing money on the fairs.

With major theme parks, traveling to a worlds fair lost its luster

View attachment 334808
View attachment 334817
I loved the "Why else would you have it in Queens?" quip by TLJ in the movie.

View attachment 334808
View attachment 334817
I loved the "Why else would you have it in Queens?" quip by TLJ in the movie.
The response was so matter of fact.

Forum List

Back