To the Woman and Child Who Sat at Table 9

Should a woman be able to breast feed a child ( covered of course ) in a mid to high priced restaurant, even if it offends another customer? What would you expect the manager to do?

Allow it. Breastfeeding is natural and normal and if you don't like it, you don't have to look.

Believe it or not, so are children.

Of course, but older children can be taught to behave. Babies cannot.

I am not a prude but I damn sure am not interested in eating a meal in a fancy restaurant and see a knocker pulled out and listen to sucking noises followed by the baby being flopped over a shoulder and burped. It's called discreet. Maybe I am old fashioned. Prude? No.

Would you feel the same way about it being all natural and beautiful if it was a 5 year old kid puling mommies blouse wanting titty? Ever see that happen in public? I have. No thanks.

When I go out to eat or some relaxation I do not think in terms of PC, OBP(other people's bullshit) or social grace and tolerance in these situations.

I think that I hardly ever go out and when I do it is to take a break from my normal routine. I think about the cash I am laying out and the goal is to relax...

What I do is ask for another seat somewhere else. I am not looking to create a more difficult situation if the child has a disability. If the kid is being a brat that is another story.

If it is a child behaving badly because the parents aren't parenting well, that's one thing. If it is a child with a disabiity, it's an entirely different matter. Possibly the mother didn't take the child to MacDonald's or the like becaus the atmosphere there would be far more difficult for a child with autism to handle. That could be very likely. Possibly she doesn't leave her with a baby sitter because it is difficult to find a sitter who knows how to take care of a child with autism. Possibly she's a single parent who can't afford a sitter and wanted a nice meal out for a change. Lots of possibilities here that make this not a clear cut case of just an annoying child with a parent making bad choices. How often does this happen to you, going to a 'nice' restaurant and dealing, not with poorly behaved children, but with a child with autism who may not be able to behave properly? Is this woman never allowed to go out to a nice meal?

Note in the article the restaurant manager says he lost a child. He is referring to his own gratitude of having a child at all after having lost his first child, and his gratitude she was okay, not burdened with any disability. Children are a precious gift, and those who are blessed to have healthy, ordinary kids are most blessed of all.

Last edited:
....BUT....what about the people who went to your restaurant to get away from their own children, had sitters, and needed a break from kids in general?

Your thoughts?

Those people should have gone to a restaurant on a planet other than earth because on this planet people go through stages of development that include childhood.

You know........................if a woman wants to flop out a breast to feed her child because of the choice she and her husband made as to how to feed their child, kudos to them. However....................if I want to watch the way that humans have fed their children for a long time (i.e. breastfeeding), she shouldn't be offended if I check out the way she feeds her child. Maybe I'm doing a quality check to make sure she does it the right way.

If a child comes into a restaurant and is acting up? Well..............again.............is the child cognizant of what is happening around them and acting up just to gain attention, or is that child a special needs type (meaning autism)? If the child is just acting up to gain the attention of their parents, then I'm going to talk to the parents. If the child is acting up because they are special needs, well................when I talk to the parents, they will tell me the reason their child is acting up. I can look over an autistic child much easier than I can look over a child who is acting up because they have bad parents. Trust me.............you can tell a child who is acting up because of bad parenting from one who was born autistic. The parents of an autistic child are apologetic and wish that their child didn't act up and the parents of a child who has no discipline will tell you to shut up and let their child run wild. Those are the ones that I will confront.

I mean....................what if the mother was a single mother who wanted a meal she didn't have to cook for herself, and because she earned so little, decided to bring her child with her in the hopes that maybe the child would behave?

I can have compassion for my fellow human beings. Apparently, most of those who have posted in this thread don't.

If you have a child with autism? Kudos to you for dealing with a difficult situation. It's too bad that those who don't have the same situation as you have no compassion. I feel sorry for them.

Me? I'd probably go up to the child and try to engage them (with the mother's permission of course) to see if I could help them have a nice time at the eatery.

Too bad that a lot of people who have posted on this thread don't think the same way.

oh nice... emotional blackmail is now being used.

sorry, i work in the industry and your issues and problems should not spill over onto other costumers. I am sorry your kid has issues.... but i really don't care. Leave it at home... and get it a sitter.

what makes these parents feel... becasue they have to go through putting up with a problem child... that others should just smile and be happy they have to suffer through it as well?

given this attitude..i hate fucking gum chewers....and nose pickers and booger eaters offend me a lot more than kids...

get the fuck over this.....this society claims to love kids....what a fucking joke

How often does this happen to you, going to a 'nice' restaurant and dealing, not with poorly behaved children, but with a child with autism who may not be able to behave properly? Is this woman never allowed to go out to a nice meal?

Do babysitters not exist where you live?

this society claims to love kids

1) What society?
2) Where did you hear this?
3) Just because some generalized statement was made doesn't mean every person in that society loves kids.
4) Loving kids has nothing to do with enjoying having a nice meal ruined by them.

Instead I just told you I hoped your meal was awesome. I high-fived your daughter and then I told you that your meal was on us tonight. It was only $16. It meant more to me than that. I do not think the other guests I spoke to were happy about it. At that moment it did not matter to me

:clap2:

When I go out to eat or some relaxation I do not think in terms of PC, OBP(other people's bullshit) or social grace and tolerance in these situations.

I think that I hardly ever go out and when I do it is to take a break from my normal routine. I think about the cash I am laying out and the goal is to relax...

What I do is ask for another seat somewhere else. I am not looking to create a more difficult situation if the child has a disability. If the kid is being a brat that is another story.

If it is a child behaving badly because the parents aren't parenting well, that's one thing. If it is a child with a disabiity, it's an entirely different matter. Possibly the mother didn't take the child to MacDonald's or the like becaus the atmosphere there would be far more difficult for a child with autism to handle. That could be very likely. Possibly she doesn't leave her with a baby sitter because it is difficult to find a sitter who knows how to take care of a child with autism. Possibly she's a single parent who can't afford a sitter and wanted a nice meal out for a change. Lots of possibilities here that make this not a clear cut case of just an annoying child with a parent making bad choices. How often does this happen to you, going to a 'nice' restaurant and dealing, not with poorly behaved children, but with a child with autism who may not be able to behave properly? Is this woman never allowed to go out to a nice meal?

Note in the article the restaurant manager says he lost a child. He is referring to his own gratitude of having a child at all after having lost his first child, and his gratitude she was okay, not burdened with any disability. Children are a precious gift, and those who are blessed to have healthy, ordinary kids are most blessed of all.

To the other patrons it comes down to "Your child is giving me the creeps....remove her from my presence"

The mother is doing the best she can under the circumstances. She should not be expected to keep her child from public view because it makes you uncomfortable

You only enjoy yourself if you inconvenience the largest number of people?

Come sit on my lap grasshopper....I will read you what I wrote....It-was-not-busy

Naturally, in order to have a good time I follow rules of establishment I frequent this was no different. Indeed, it was because I sat where I did that the sun shone just right and highlighted the green speckles in the eyes of the woman I dining with which made the beautiful scenery I went there for to begin with pale in comparison.

That does not mean you didn't inconvenience anyone, does it?

Oh brother .....you are on a roll with this line of reasoning....
rolling-o.gif

If more people got up and left the restaurant instead of staying and paying the bill, the restaurant would be more proactive. Money talks.

If more people got up and left the restaurant instead of staying and paying the bill, the restaurant would be more proactive. Money talks.

I don't advocate dine & dash. A loud kid doesn't justify theft.

But if they haven't ordered yet... yeah.

I deal with children who are not my own everyday some have disabilities as well. In fact, I am currently dealing with a child with a disability who harassed then attacked a 76 year old magician who came by to share his show. I need a break when I go out to eat. I am mindful of the challenges presented to both parent and child. While I do not avoid the such, I do not invite the accompanying activity that a situation may involve.

In other words....I would move my seat.

Special little snowflakes can stay home while those who show consideration towards others enjoy a peaceful atmosphere.

Ummmm, family restaurants tend to cater to, oh idunno

Families?

Your point is?

I've only eaten in 2 that had miniature atomic bombs detonating, and the managers of those restaurants showed them to the door just like any other establishment.

Yes, do that to a challenged individual and watch the $&@/ hit the fan

Ummmm, family restaurants tend to cater to, oh idunno

Families?

Your point is?

I've only eaten in 2 that had miniature atomic bombs detonating, and the managers of those restaurants showed them to the door just like any other establishment.

Yes, do that to a challenged individual and watch the $&@/ hit the fan

If they want to be around everybody else, they should expect to be treated like everybody else.

I work with special needs folks everyday, and they absolutely hate the way people treat them because it is dripping with pity and all they want is to be treated like anybody else.

Forum List

Back