Today in First World problems....40 Minutes for Starbucks Coffee? Customers and Workers Fume Over Fewer Staff

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

Starbucks baristas say they are confronting an alarming issue: Drink orders are coming in fast, but there are fewer people to prepare them.

In some stores where there used to be, say, five people making iced macchiatos and double-shot espressos just a year ago, now there are three or four, according to workers and managers who asked not to be identified because they aren’t authorized to speak publicly.

They blame the understaffing, in part, on an algorithm Starbucks Corp. uses to allocate store labor. The system takes into account an array of inputs — such as order forecasts and product availability — to spit out a recommended staffing plan. But many employees say that doesn’t adequately account for the time it takes to fulfill a ballooning number of special customer requests like extra espresso shots or cold foam, as well as the effect of more corporate promotions.

Workers are struggling to simultaneously juggle in-person, drive-thru, mobile and delivery orders and customers are waiting longer, these people say. About 8% of Starbucks customers waited between 15 and 30 minutes in the last quarter, compared to virtually no one waiting that long during the same period in 2019, according to data provider Technomic.

Starbucks disputes it’s understaffed, but acknowledged longer wait times contributed to the company’s first quarterly sales decline since 2020. The company has upgraded its labor algorithm and other staffing policies over the last 18 months to ensure “enough capacity to meet demand,” Chief Reinvention Officer Frank Britt said in an interview. He said Starbucks is rolling out new measures to reduce wait times and cut down on unfinished orders, including a plan to rejigger drink assembly to save workers time.

Wanna make $25 hr. slinging burnt muddy water to hipsters then work your ass off buttercup.

berni_laughing_23456.jpg

I do wonder if the algorithm ensures the proper diversity ratio among the baristas on shift.....That is all that should matter, right? ;)

I've seen lines of cars out into the street waiting at the drive thru of Starbucks where I live, and i simply pull in and walk into an empty store. While they are hurriedly working on drive thru orders, since all I ever order is black coffee, I can get my order pretty fast. There is also about a 50/50 chance a trans or gay man will be working behind the counter, and I got to say, these dudes are good workers and always friendly.

Forum List

Back