Tornado Survivor Finds Dog During TV Interview

Moore, Oklahoma - where God threw the devil down to earth...
:eek:
Crews race to find survivors of Oklahoma twister
21 May`13 — Emergency crews searched the broken remnants of an Oklahoma City suburb Tuesday for survivors of a massive tornado that flattened homes and demolished an elementary school. At least 24 people were killed, including at least nine children, and those numbers were expected to climb.
The state medical examiner's office cut the estimated death toll by more than half but warned that the number was likely to climb again. Gov. Mary Fallin said authorities did not know how many people were still missing, but vowed to account for every resident. "We will rebuild, and we will regain our strength," said Fallin, who went on a flyover of the area and described it as "hard to look at." Amy Elliott, a spokeswoman for the medical examiner, said she believes some victims were counted twice in the early chaos of the storm that struck Monday afternoon. Downed communication lines and problems sharing information with officers exacerbated the problem, she said. "It was a very eventful night," Elliott said. "I truly expect that they'll find more today." Authorities initially said as many as 51 people were dead, including 20 children.

b320dc3308518011320f6a7067007d5c.jpg

Residents pass a destroyed car as they walk through a tornado-ravaged neighborhood Tuesday, May 21, 2013, in Moore, Okla. A huge tornado roared through the Oklahoma City suburb Monday, flattening entire neighborhoods and destroying an elementary school with a direct blow as children and teachers huddled against winds.

New search-and-rescue teams moved at dawn Tuesday, taking over from the 200 or so emergency responders who had worked all night. A helicopter shined a spotlight from above to aid in the search. Many houses have "just been taken away. They're just sticks and bricks," the governor said, describing the 17-mile path of destruction. The National Weather Service said the twister was on the ground for 40 minutes, with winds estimated at 190 mph. The agency issued an initial finding that the tornado was EF-4 on the enhanced Fujita scale — the second strongest type of tornado — and that it was at least half a mile wide. Emergency crews were having trouble navigating neighborhoods because the devastation is so complete, and there are no street signs left standing, Fallin added.

Fire Chief Gary Bird said fresh teams would search the whole community at least two more times to ensure that no survivors — or any of the dead — were overlooked. Crews painted an 'X' on each structure to note it had been checked. "That is to confirm we have done our due diligence for this city, for our citizens," Bird said. The community of 56,000 people, 10 miles south of Oklahoma City, braced for another long, harrowing day. "As long as we are here ... we are going to hold out hope that we will find survivors," said Trooper Betsy Randolph, a spokeswoman for the Oklahoma Highway Patrol. More than 200 people had been treated at area hospitals.

More Crews race to find survivors of Oklahoma twister

See also:

In tornado's wake, worried parents seek out kids
21 May — The parents and guardians stood in the muddy grass outside an Oklahoma City area church, listening as someone with a bullhorn called out the names of children who were being dropped off — survivors of a deadly tornado that barreled through their community.
For many families, the ordeal ended in bear hugs and tears of joy as loved ones reunited. Others were left to wait in the darkness, hoping for good news while fearing the worst. At least seven children are among the 24 reported dead so far in Moore, the Oklahoma City suburb ravaged by Monday's tornado that packed winds of up to 200 mph. The twister reduced one elementary school to a heaping mound of rubble and heavily damaged another while also flattening block after block of homes. Officials earlier said more than 50 people had died, including 20 children. The medical examiner's office revised that death toll Tuesday morning, saying some victims were maybe counted twice in the initial confusion after the storm.

Screen-shot-2013-05-21-at-1-56-28-PM-png_205857.png

At St. Andrews United Methodist Church, parents stared into the distance as they waited, some holding the hands of young children who were missing siblings. Tonya Sharp and Deanna Wallace sat at a table in the church's gymnasium waiting for their teenage daughters. As Sharp and Wallace spoke, a line of students walked in.

Wallace spotted her 16-year-old daughter, who came quickly her way and jumped into her mother's arms, pushing her several steps backward in the process. But Sharp didn't see her daughter, a 17-year-old who has epilepsy. She worried her daughter hadn't taken her medicine. "I don't know where she's at," Sharp said. Later, she went to speak to officials who helped her register so she could be notified as soon as her daughter was found.

More In tornado's wake, worried parents seek out kids

Related:

Witnesses describe deadly Oklahoma tornado; Gov. Fallin says death count unknown
21 May`13 —As a hailstorm bore down on the devastated region Tuesday afternoon, first responders continued to sift through debris to try to find survivors and figure out how many people died in the massive tornado that ripped through southern Oklahoma City and other towns a day earlier.
Twenty-four people have been confirmed dead—including 9 children—and 237 were injured by the twister, Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin said. At a news conference Tuesday, Fallin said officials are trying to find out if other victims might have been taken to local funeral homes and have not yet been counted in the death toll. Meanwhile, the National Weather Service upgraded the tornado to a top-of-the-scale EF5, saying its winds were at least 200 mph. The tornado cut a path of destruction 17 miles long and 1.3 miles wide. "We're going through that debris, and we're going to keep looking until everybody's found," FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate said at the news conference. Dozens of people have been rescued.

Fallin said authorities "don't even know if there are missing people" but will turn over every piece of debris to find survivors possibly trapped in the rubble. First responders will check each damaged piece of property three times to ensure no one who needs help is overlooked, Fallin said. "This was the storm of storms," Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett said. Earlier, authorities said they expected more victims to be uncovered. "Not to be pessimistic ... but we think the death toll will continue to climb as we find more bodies," Lt. Gov. Todd Lamb said on CNN. Mother Nature was showing no mercy to Moore on Tuesday. Drenching rains and lightning had moved into the area by 9 a.m, and marble-size hail fell in the afternoon.

Officials said water, electricity and cell phone service was down in some areas. They urged people to stay away from the area. Residents can call 1-800-621-FEMA to find shelter. President Barack Obama said the federal government would help with the disaster response. "The people of Moore should know that their country will remain on the ground there for them, beside them, as long as it takes for their homes and schools to rebuild, businesses and hospitals to reopen, the parents to console, the first responders to comfort and of course frightened children who will need our continued love and attention," Obama said Tuesday morning at the White House.

MORE

Very nice story. But I was getting irritated that one of the news crew wouldn't help her lift debris off that dog. Geez do you really need to be asked more than once...especially when you see a person struggling? :eusa_eh:

That was awesome. Poor lady, looks like there's nothing left of her home, but at least she found her dog!

Very nice story. But I was getting irritated that one of the news crew wouldn't help her lift debris off that dog. Geez do you really need to be asked more than once...especially when you see a person struggling? :eusa_eh:

:clap2:

I got peeved as well. They are filming that poor dog under that crap and the woman is trying to lift stuff off and they just keep filming. :evil:

How sweet. No one ever mentions animals that die or are injured in these disasters. They are not an afterthought. Animal life matters. It's always great to see one survive.

Apparently there were upwards of 100 horses, livestock, and other animals killed at a family farm and stables in the Moore area.

I am an animal person, so I really care more about the animals than I do about the people who have the ability to take care of themselves.

I got peeved as well. They are filming that poor dog under that crap and the woman is trying to lift stuff off and they just keep filming. :evil:

Reporter: "Are you able to comprehend what happened here today".

I know EXACTLY what happened here!

How sweet. No one ever mentions animals that die or are injured in these disasters. They are not an afterthought. Animal life matters. It's always great to see one survive.

Which is why I have a hard time watching vids and whatnot. I'm always afraid I will see some poor animal stranded or hurt and nobody there to help them because people are helping other people.

Nothing on God's green earth would keep me away from my home if a catastrophe happened and I was away from home when it did. Nothing. First thing I will do is come look for my kids. My FUR kids. Once I know they are safe..then I will assist others.

Yeah...treating her like she is senile or something. What a jerk.

Agree. They are the idiots for speaking to her like that. It was a really good moment, finding the dog like that and getting it on film.

The major networks devoted most of this evening's coverage to the tornado victims.
In each interview it was obvious the reporters kept plying with questions meant to elicit emotion which ultimately lead to tears. Fucking manipulative idiots.

Just saw the "second half" of the interview - where she found her dog. Poor little guy was in shock himself and the granny - good for her. Great vid in a sea of rubble and destruction.

Why would anyone in their right minds want to live in Tornado Alley? If I was born there, I'd move as soon as possible. Death & destruction is not something to look forward to each season. Get outta there, people!

To me, she should have asked them why they were wanting to know such a thing. In other words, what were they trying to imply?

God bless you and that lady and her dog always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. I wonder what goes on in the mind of a dog during a situation like this one.

Forum List

Back