Trucker Gets 16 Years for Killing 5 Cyclists.

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
I remember when this happened, the cyclists were not on the shoulder of a busy highway, they were right in the middle of the lane! They had a "support" vehicle with them, but they were behind it. As awful as it was, I'd never ride anywhere other than as far right as I can get, almost always a road with a shoulder or a country road.

Barson's plea deal avoided trial on 14 felony charges that could have kept him behind bars for the rest of his life if he was convicted.

Prosecutors said blood tests showed he had nine times the amount of methamphetamine in his system that would indicate impairment.

Truck driver gets 16 years in crash that killed 5 bicyclists

Road cycling is very popular today...I ride on a track at the Jr College...anyone that has ever driven a motorhome in windy conditions would never ride a bike on the highway...

My friends and I are lobbying our city leaders for bike lanes like they have in Europe...they are next to but separate from the highway....we like idiots put bike lanes on the damn highway...

Three years ago I lost a good friend that was hit in a bike lane by a drunk driver at 8:30 in the morning...a drunk illegal alien...and today he is already out of jail.....

I read about this.....pretty tragic story all the way around.....

The guy had 9 or 10 times the amount of meth in his system....and still fell asleep at the wheel...

I thought truckers did speed to stay up....I also thought truckers had to make mandatory rest stops

The guy had 9 or 10 times the amount of meth in his system....and still fell asleep at the wheel...

I thought truckers did speed to stay up....I also thought truckers had to make mandatory rest stops
I'm not sure what safeguards are put in place for independent truckers but most trucking company employees drive vehicles that are tracked in extreme detail. The company knows exactly how long the truck has been in motion, where it is at any given time, and how fast it's moving. This guy sounds like an addict and he ruined a lot of lives through his selfishness.

Most of the males reading this have, at one time or another, done crazy shit behind the wheel of a car or truck that COULD HAVE resulted in the deaths of other people, often loved ones. This truck driver is no criminal; he exercised poor judgment and ruined many lives as a result...including his own.

I smacked a mexican with my side mirror driving down an unlite road while going to work one morning. They were those big mirrors so you can see while towing.The dumb bastard was dressed all in black and had no reflectors on his bike.
He's damn lucky I saw him at the last second or I would have run his ass over. The road had zero shoulder and he was riding two feet inside the line.
I stopped and saw him getting out of the ditch so I just went on about my bussiness.

I never believed that he fell asleep. He probably took his eyes off the road fumbling with his crack pipe.

Most of the males reading this have, at one time or another, done crazy shit behind the wheel of a car or truck that COULD HAVE resulted in the deaths of other people, often loved ones. This truck driver is no criminal; he exercised poor judgment and ruined many lives as a result...including his own.
True statement...

Most of the males reading this have, at one time or another, done crazy shit behind the wheel of a car or truck that COULD HAVE resulted in the deaths of other people, often loved ones. This truck driver is no (a) criminal; he exercised poor judgment and ruined (ended) many lives as a result...including (but not) his own.

Revised for accuracy.

Yeah, this homey don’t play that either. I did the 200 mile STP (Seattle to Portland) ride a few years back. They kept us off of busy highways for the most part, but there were a couple of hairy stretches with little to no bike lane. Having cars whizzing by within a foot or two at 55-65 is too stressful.

I see guys on Hwy 101 riding the Oregon coast all the time and that’d he a hard no. They often have the pack in back that protrudes out a couple feet on both sides. I’ve come around more than one blind corner & been too far too close for comfort.

Forum List

Back